Thinking about getting a G5 soonish?

SawTooTH

Can't get enough of FH
I have one at work and they arent as good as you might think. Looks cool though.

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Scooba da Bass said:
Even with shipping it's still a bucketload cheaper than anything you'll be able to pick up here...must resist....

Bear in mind that with something like that you are so going to get pounced on by Customs... so add about 30% to the price, including the delivery!

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
actually, excise is about 6%, then VAT at 17.5%, so it's not quite THAT bad.

I had to look into the taxation recently myself when importing because lenses for my EOS are so much cheaper across the pond.

Speaking from experience though, when I used to have review systems sent from the states back to blighty, 1 in 2 were b0rk3d beyond repair, and that's in those big f*ck-off padded boxes alienware use to ship, not the skimpy little things favoured by apple.

You pays your money and you takes your chance, I guess.

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
It's different rates for different things, not sure what it is for computers, but for the stuff I used to import (DVD's) it was 9%, I think.

Anyhow customs are clever, so it's 6% duty, then 17.5% on top of that.. Ok so it's 25%, not 30%, but you also get the extra little charge from the courier for 'handling' the import.

Fully agree with you on packaging, I still think the couriers play kickabout with anything that's marked 'fragile'! If you're gonna import it, make sure it's insured for the full (UK?) value.

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Definately, go, sell your pc NOW, get a Mac.

Of course you'll have to leave FH and start chatting on discussions.info.apple.com, but it's a small price to pay, honest ;)

Xav

Scooba da Bass

Fledgling Freddie
SawTooTH said:
I have one at work and they arent as good as you might think. Looks cool though.

Yes me too, and they are better than you'd think.

jakswan

Fledgling Freddie
You could make a beasty of a PC for that sort of money. Shuttle SB75G, P4 3.0ghz, 1gb, DVD Writer, 9800XT, 250Gb Serial HD.

tRoG

Fledgling Freddie
*prods his smouldering G3 iMac*

Argh - I'm so very, very, tempted :(

tRoG

Fledgling Freddie
I wish they'de come out with a G5 Cube. Those things are teh sexxeh. They really, really should bring 'em back.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
My PC is so ugly I'm seriously considering bricking it into the chimney breast.

Those Macs look really nice, but I'm not into the whole 1-button-mouse thing.

fatbusinessman

Fledgling Freddie
Tom said:
Those Macs look really nice, but I'm not into the whole 1-button-mouse thing.
Much as I hate to defend the Mac here, they do actually work with 2-button mice. Right-clicking brings up a little context menu as you'd expect. In fact, if you get something along the lines of an Intellimouse Explorer with side-buttons and a wheel, install the software and it'll work fine.

Macs aren't restricted to a single button mouse - they just happen to ship with one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom