Things i looooove about America.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
In all this "boo hiss america sucks" state of mind that's going on, i'd like to make a list of things we people love about america.

Jack Daniels(and associates)
McDonalds. Hangover paradise. And the McFlurry is a gift from gods.
Music. There's a whole lotta sh*t that comes out of the states, biggest part would be rap music.
Muscle cars. Wroom wroom. Gotta love that sound.
Thongs! Come on! You gotta give props to thongs!
Movies. Without hollywood...crap all if i'm interested in some georgio fettucini movie about one womans distress in a world of cabbage.
Most of excellent games. Game industry wouldn't be the same without the american contribution.

Just a few, will post more when i come up with them. Add your own! Be ..err...patri...pro-us!

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
I have to agree, some of the bits of America are great, although without wishing to be too picky:

And the McFlurry is a gift from gods.
Actually, its a rip-off from Dairy Queen, but hey, thats American too ;)

Thongs! Come on! You gotta give props to thongs!
Surely a Brazillian invention?

I'd like to add mountain biking, since it was invented in Marin County USA by the great Garry Fisher and co.

Lance Armstrong. As big a cock as there has ever been in cycling, but credit where its due/ To come back from terminal cancer and win 6 Tours de France on the trot (something that no-one in history has ever done) is quite an achievement. Plus the fact that he's shagging Sheryl Crow :(

G

I love everything about america apart from the americans who live there, its wasted on them, we should do a country swap, the yanks don't appreciate the sunny climate.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
.Wilier. said:
Surely a Brazillian invention?

On contreuruerre!

"It began with Bob Mizer, creator and founder of the Athletic Model Guild. He began taking pictures of men in what looked like earlier styles of thongs in 1945."

From a "higly" "reliable" source:

Blackwolves "slightly" gay thong history.

Warning, male nudity. Partial. No gennies shown!

Uncle Sick

One of Freddy's beloved
brooky said:
I love everything about america apart from the americans who live there, its wasted on them, we should do a country swap, the yanks don't appreciate the sunny climate.

And you live there in order to be able to make that kind of judgement, right?

Draylor

Part of the furniture
old.Tohtori said:
In all this "boo hiss america sucks" state of mind
Isnt it more of a "boo hiss most Americans are idiots" state of mind? Most, not all, therefore obviously some good does come from a country of that size.

1 or 2 items on your list I cant agree with though.

Muscle cars. Wroom wroom. Gotta love that sound.
Yup, wasting fuel is a good thing!

Game industry wouldn't be the same without the american contribution.
You say that as if it would be significantly worse without the American influence - cant say I agree. The vast majority of the innovative fun titles to appear have not originated in America. The vast majority of the stale boring virtually identical 'sequels' (Hello Electronic Arts!) have come from America. Games industry would arguably be better off without them ;)

As for Jack Daniels - many people love it but Ill stick to other drinks: the 'I wish I was dead' hangover it has given me each time I indulge means Ill never touch it again.

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Actually a lot of so called "innovative" games come from the UK, or did till the weak dollar fucked the games industry here up the arse. :/

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
N as far as Hollywood goes, it is good in many ways but without Hollywood there would be more room for Japanese Anime movies being mainstream hoorah! also don't forgot the UK film industry always has stonking films when someone can be bothered to make one.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Cartoons; from Looney Tunes to The Simpsons. America's greatest cultural contribution tbh.

*edit* Oh, and comic books.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Draylor said:
You say that as if it would be significantly worse without the American influence - cant say I agree. The vast majority of the innovative fun titles to appear have not originated in America. The vast majority of the stale boring virtually identical 'sequels' (Hello Electronic Arts!) have come from America. Games industry would arguably be better off without them ;)

Let's take a few examples.

Halo.
Sierra entertainment which includes such as:
Half-Life.
Homeworld.

Oh and a little thing called Blizzard.
"Ten years ago, three UCLA graduates founded Blizzard Entertainment with a simple mission in mind"

Without UCLA, there wouldn't be blizzard.

Just a tip of the pile of frozen goodies.

Ofcourse all of this could be countered with the usual remark "Well someone else might have invented it", but that's a whole nother discussion.

You can't say the upper list hasn't influenced the games industry?

EDIT: Never said that the games industry these days is made because of the americans, i said it wouldn't be the same. A lot of good stuff comes from UK/europe/asia.

Driwen

Fledgling Freddie
westwood is(or was) from the US aswell, arent they? And they made dune and C&C, which is one of the first RTS games (or the first cba to look it up).

gmloki

Part of the furniture
PLightstar said:
N as far as Hollywood goes, it is good in many ways but without Hollywood there would be more room for Japanese Anime movies being mainstream hoorah! also don't forgot the UK film industry always has stonking films when someone can be bothered to make one.

Not too sure about the whole UK movie scene. There has been a lot of bilge come out of England tbh. Many so called British classics (Empire's View with 5 stars++++++) are pants. Bend it like Beckham ffs give me a break. East is East-A Comedy Classic. Funny as powdered glass in the eye maybe. Shaun of the Dead (Dont beleive the hype)

Anywho back on track America is a good place. Its a shame us British people call them shallow minded and superficial yet we make generalisations of nearly 300Million people that they are all the same. Dont make any sense to me.

Other good reasons to love America

*Theme Parks-Makes Alton Towers, Thorpe Park & Chessington Manor like like kiddies playgrounds
* Budweiser.
* Papa Johns Pizza's and Subway Sandwiches
* The Big Apple
* Temperature range from Sub tropic to Arctic. Mostly temprate which means good weather all year round
* Canada is just up the road
* Ice Hockey

The list goes on

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Just to push the america's influence in games to the limit:

First ever video game made.

Full story here.

Also...just...maybe important...

Nolan Bushnell. born: February 5th, 1943 - Ogden, Utah USA

Co founder of atari, father of pong...but...maybe not important :D

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Despite all the criticism of it, I actually quite liked America when I was visiting. Of course a couple of weeks isn't really enough to get a true feel of the place, but it wasn't total crap or anything.

Vae

Resident Freddy
Ash said:
* Budweiser.

Kill the Philistine or at least make him drink some decent beer! At least try the proper Budvar.

jaba

Fledgling Freddie
I personally love america, been there just the once for two weeks and it was amazing, from the really friendly people I met, to the cool places I went, chicago and some small towns, to the amusement parks, cedar point is A-MAZING better than alton towers by so so much. Also the food is fantastic, hooters buffalo wings are to die for, Texas road house racks of ribs are mouth wateringly great and the junk food like crispy cremes, corn dogs, twinkies, oh my life its so good. All in all, top place and one day I would like to live there.

gmloki

Part of the furniture
pcg79 said:
:eek6: about as good as carling ! hoegaarden for teh win!
*Cough Cough

What I actually meant was when you are in America the only decent beer to drink is Budweiser

Hoegaarden is the daddy albeit expensive

Vae

Resident Freddy
Actually the US does now have a decent brewing industry as far as micro and small breweries (i.e. ones that brew real ale) are concerned. However this is more than counterbalanced by them brewing the crap that is Budweiser.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
A friend was recently in Seattle and said that most pubs each had their own brand of beer - said they were rather good too. Sounds quite cool tbh, go on a pub crawl and try out a new brand each place.

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
been over there a few times - both business and pleasure.

A few things that come to mind ;

1. The overall politeness of people. Christ, even the tramps are polite.
2. Roads. Condition of the roads put ours to shame.
3. food- LOTS of it the WAY you want it. sooooo many times I was full after starters
4. the motor bikes.
5. the decent prices (albeit we were there when the exchange rate was good)

Gumbo

FH is my second home
.Wilier. said:
Lance Armstrong. As big a cock as there has ever been in cycling, but credit where its due/ To come back from terminal cancer and win 6 Tours de France on the trot (something that no-one in history has ever done) is quite an achievement. Plus the fact that he's shagging Sheryl Crow :(

Surely, 'almost' terminal cancer, otherwise he's even more impressive than I first thought, to be able to do all that whilst dead :p

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Gumbo said:
Surely, 'almost' terminal cancer, otherwise he's even more impressive than I first thought, to be able to do all that whilst dead :p
Quite right - it was pseudo terminal cancer. Faux terminal cancer, if you will.

What a charlatan.

:D

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Two words.

Petrol price.

That is all.

Edit - ok, so they didn't give it to the world; but it's at least something they've got right in their country

Uncle Sick

One of Freddy's beloved
Big G said:
Two words.

Petrol price.

That is all.

Edit - ok, so they didn't give it to the world; but it's at least something they've got right in their country

Hmmm... not anymore - I pay about $2.20 for a gallon of gas (3.5 something litres) - and cars here have a much higher fuel consumption.
When I bought my Forester end of last year I paid about $18 to fill the tank - now it's about $25ish. Gas prices have gone up like crazy here.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
America is a great country, I've been twice (LA and Indianapolis), I'd love to live over there.

Its great tbh. England is a beautiful country, but the USA has far more interesting scenery, and lots more of it.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
come live in holland. with your forester. then you can bitch about gas prices :)

Uncle Sick

One of Freddy's beloved
TdC said:
come live in holland. with your forester. then you can bitch about gas prices :)

I'd probably be stoned all the time, therefore saving alot of money on gas. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom