Crap Thieving Scouse Bastards :eek:

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
:eek:

So. I'm on t' Wirral staying at my sisters as a few weeks ago my mother, being the obedient sort, stopped drinking after being told to by her doctor.

It surprised all of us that A) she did, as she's been an alcoholic for 35 years, and that B) just three weeks later she keeled over behind her sofa for the evening, to be found just before lunchtime the next day prior to being karted off to hospital where she now resides.

Yes, yes, before anyone points it out to me - I do know that withdrawal should be managed correctly - which is why I'll be taking her GP to task (and if he's not careful, to bits).

So, I load my bike onto my rather spanky Saris Bones RS3 bike rack, pootle over from Nottingham to near-Lollerpool and park up near the hospital and proceed to go visit the ailing now-spastic.

On returning to the car I find the two steel belted bands of my rack dangling in the wind, with the rest of the locked rack, the bike and the lock that went between the wheels, the frame and the rack completely absent.

They've done a professional job at least. The steel is cleanly cut and they haven't ripped the shit out of my car when removing the rack from under the boot (that I can see in the bad light anyway).

So. I need a new bike to replace this one. I'd like a hardtail, about £750-ish, cross-country configuration like my trusty Cube Acid (I like my mountain biking but I don't want a full-suss downhiller - I usually do long offroad trips with the occasional trips to the lakes or snowdonia thrown in for good measure).

So. Bike boys (n' girls). Serious recommendations for a new bike please.

And if you can fix my mum, that'd be nice too :(

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I don't know much about bikes, but i do like how you talk about your mother being hospitalized, your bike stolen and the point is to ask for new bike advice :D

Best wishes on the recovery there.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Near...liverpool..if its the wirrel..thats not on any level scouse.

rynnor

Rockhound
Genuinely sorry to hear that Mr S - I hope she recovers soon :(

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
sorry to hear of your troubles Scousebacon :(

re the bike, I would say get an On-One Inbred. You get loads of bang for your buck and they just work. I've had 4 over the years, no complaints. If you can spring a couple hundred more, get an on-one whippet. Carbon XC goodness :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I don't know much about bikes, but i do like how you talk about your mother being hospitalized, your bike stolen and the point is to ask for new bike advice :D

Yeah. I knew there'd be a few who looked at the horror of the post, not love the combination and think I was being a cold hearted cunt. I did actually pause myself before clicking "submit"...

But dems the facts really. Life kicks you when you're down. I can't do more for my mother than I'm already doing and that I've been trying to do for the past few decades really. I do appreciate the words of support - honestly - but in terms of advice I've "got her covered", so to speak.

But yeah, it's a total heartbreak, if that's what you needed to hear from me. :(

My sister's at the edge of her tolerance already because of other stuff and we're desparately trying to keep my brother from coming over from Australia to "help" - because the only thing he'll do is make life completely unliveable. He's that bad. If he turns up it'll go from heartbreak to utter unbearable clusterfuck in one short international flight. :eek:

However, due to thievery I still need a new bike - and that's something I can actually ask for help with. I was thinking the Cube Ltd Pro 29 (TdC, Tom?) - I'm 6'2" and a 29's strengths seem to be in the type of riding that I do the most? Whaddaya think of the specs / price ratio? (I'll look at your suggestions later teedles).

Near...liverpool..if its the wirrel..thats not on any level scouse.
I used to think exactly the same way Job. Was very protective of the Wirral NOT being Liverpool and understanding of the opposite.

However, 20 years away give you a different perspective. I'm in Caldy on the other side of the Wirral - it's 15 minutes drive to Anfield m8. 7 miles to the heart of Liverpool in a straight line. I no longer give a fuck about any "independent" status between the two - it IS "near" Liverpool - and sometimes when people ask where I'm from (especially foreigners) I simply say Liverpool because at least they've heard of it.

And I don't care any more :D

Aaaaanyway. The last piece of bad news is this: FUCKING ITALIANS! Cost me more than twice the cost of my bike in share price losses already :eek:

I really need to look for a job, just at the time where it's really useful I don't have one :(

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I don't keep up with bike reviews, so I suggest you just buy a couple of magazines and read the reviews therein. In my opinion, unless you're a professional racer, you're best off going with the bike that looks best and which has componentry that won't fall to bits in the Lancashire mud - and that means no yank tanks.

Try and get wheel hubs that have cartridge bearings, like Hope Pro 2 - the bearings can be replaced independently of the hub shell, that'll save you a fortune in the long run.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
My step dad is from the Wirral, he has always been a thieving scouser to me.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
I'll send you a 'sawed-off' shotgun to take care of them, Scouse Or a Mag-7 to annoy you. ;)

TdC

(I'll look at your suggestions later teedles).

some of the more UK oriented brands I like are (in random order). they all do 29ers as well.
http://www.ragleybikes.com <- that's Brant
http://on-one.co.uk/ <- that used to be Brant
http://www.cotic.co.uk/ <- that's Cy. Cotic bikes are beautiful imo, but expensive 0o

NB. I'm not pushing you away from Cube. Cubes are totally OK bikes and better than lots. They're just so...normal, for want of a better word. I like it when people throw a little bit of the crazy, or push some personality in to their bikes. Still, that particular Cube has a fairly decent kit layout and will probably work just dandy. Only real bit of advice I can give you is try before you buy, and not just up and down the road. Any local bike shop worth it's salt will let you take out a demo model for a proper ride.

TdC

this is the Cotic 29'er. damn it's beautiful :D

Solaris.jpg

TdC

real manly men like Scouse and me don't need peddles Raven :)

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
There's a small possibility I may look to get a hardtail at some point in the future. Damn you Teeds for posting such lovely pr0n.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Ta for the suggestions peeps :)

They're just so...normal
Aye. I understand where you're coming from. It's nice to have something with a more unusual personality. But when it comes to expensive purchases I'm quite utilitarian - I don't particularly care what they look like, I'm more interested in what it gives me in terms of what I'm after - and the cube is pretty well specced for XC and comfort. I noticed one of your suggestions is a solid-frame and it does look fantastic - but no sus up front is simply out of the question for my broken shitty body.

I'll have a proper look at the others. I had a quick browse and they looked interesting :)

I've never tried a 29er before so I've found a shop locally which will let me have a quick blast one one tomorrow (they've a couple - the Cube with a 21" frame so it's prolly right in my range and something mahoosively expensive with a carbon fibre lovelyness which I'll cry if I try to afford it).

Keep 'em coming peeps :)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Looks like Shimano centrelock discs on that Cube, which probably means Shimano hubs. Which means if you ride in mud often, unless you strip and service the hubs every 3 months or so, you'll be replacing those wheels (entire) within 2 years. And if you change them for better wheels, they'll have the traditional disc mounting system, which will mean you'll also have to buy new discs.

Speak to Will's Wheels in Stockport, perhaps they can build you some wheels that won't turn to paste.

Anyway it's a lovely sunny day for once so I'm off out on the MTB for a change, think I'll do the Fallowfield loop and come back on the Ashton Canal.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Really Tom? I thought Shimano did good stuff. My ACID was ridden a few thousand miles, nearly all offroad (though not particularly rough offroad) and the wheels were no problem at all tbfh.

Glad it's sunny where you are. *jealous*

TdC

pff, everything depends. I've had ace Shimano wheels over the years, but I've also had pooh ones. My worst wheel ever was a shimano. Bugger just *wouldn't* stay true no matter what I did, but never had a bearing problem. Ground's different here in the NL though. :-/

Current wheels on the gangsta track are surly. I expect them to never ever break, but who knows?

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
pff, everything depends. I've had ace Shimano wheels over the years, but I've also had pooh ones. My worst wheel ever was a shimano. Bugger just *wouldn't* stay true no matter what I did, but never had a bearing problem. Ground's different here in the NL though. :-/

Yes. It's entirely flat. Real wheel punishing stuff.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
In my day it was OMAS big sliding titanium hubs and bottom brackets that were the dogz, do they still make them?

Edit..found a piccie, they're in the vintage section :(

CCBF3ADB-36FC-4B4E-A78E-D0957FA98BE1.jpeg

TdC

joking aside, there are parts of Limburg where you can actually climb for more than 5 minutes. truth!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom