News They've done another study

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Problem is that the eco-hippies have enough ammunition from previous "facts" that they won't listen to anything else and they got some eco-hippies in such powerful places that they can spin it any which way they want.

Chilly

Balls of steel
The overwhelming body of evidence suggests we are causing global warming and that global warming is probably bad on average for us. The odd paper correcting one of hundreds of models used in these uberreports probably does not change the fundamental fact that we're completely wrecking our environment.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
We mght be effecting it, but wrecking it? This globe has had worse.

Embattle

FH is my second home
I always say the same, better safe than sorry but for me the other benefit would be the improvement of the air quality which affects some much more than others.

Chilly

Balls of steel

Speaking in geological timescales is pointless. We're draining aquifers, we're poisoning lakes and seas, we're draining seas! We have it remarkably sweet in northern Europe because we got there first and can afford to keep the pollution away from our front door.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Speaking in geological timescales is pointless. We're draining aquifers, we're poisoning lakes and seas, we're draining seas! We have it remarkably sweet in northern Europe because we got there first and can afford to keep the pollution away from our front door.

Yeap *stretches on rocking chair* So...problem?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
So. Another paper to add to the mix. Some predict a large amount of warming, some predict not so large amount.

However, they all predict warming.

Punishment

Resident Freddy
Just excuses for more taxes really, billions of tons of dust has been thrown into the atmosphere and done more damage that any emissions can

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Just excuses for more taxes really, billions of tons of dust has been thrown into the atmosphere and done more damage that any emissions can

Absolutely. It's just another stick for small people to beat you with.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
However, they all predict warming.
If they didn't then they would soon find themselves without funding

Whinging about natural climate change, that is a permanent feature of Earth, is quite fashionable.

Uncle Sick

One of Freddy's beloved

That might be the case but the 'worse' wasn't caused by an entire species. That's why your ice float is melting around your ass, Toto.
Ignoring global warming is like standing in a burning house, covering your eyes and screaming "lalala!"

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
If they didn't then they would soon find themselves without funding.

That's just dickish. All scientists are bent now?

If they were lying in some sort of massive conspiracy then it would be the easiest thing in the world to see - as it would stand out like a sore thumb in the raw data.

Unless you honestly think that all of these scientists are falsifying their data? < Do you?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
That might be the case but the 'worse' wasn't caused by an entire species. That's why your ice float is melting around your ass, Toto.
Ignoring global warming is like standing in a burning house, covering your eyes and screaming "lalala!"

Actually it's more like "So? *has beer* Problem?"

I just don't give a f*ck about it, be it true and in what magnitude it may be.

opticle

Part of the furniture
This study can only be seen as a good thing for everyone - it reinforces the notion that we ARE affecting the planet, and by making estimates more accurate, they're more reliable and they have more credibility. Those who disagree have less of a leg to stand on. Sure, it's not as bad as we thought, but it's still pretty damn awful if you have any kind of ability to think in the long term (which a lot these days apparently do not).

Global warming debate aside, those all going "Pfffffft".. please tell me, do you honestly think throwing all the shit you see from a factory x all the factories, power stations, landfill sites, deforestation, etc. out there into the sky is a GOOD thing for the planet ?? Do you think it's sustainable ?? That's pretty naive.

There is no argument about the fact that we have made and are making a significant change to the make-up of our atmosphere. It can not be good for life as we know it. You can't argue with that. Fill your house with CO2, methane and shit and see what happens. Finding clean sources of energy and production is important. Have you ever seen a landfill site ? It's disgusting what people think is acceptable to do to this planet, and largely through laziness and the desire to make a cheap buck without much effort. It works for those of us high up in the food chain, but for the rest it fucks everything up. Selfish and self-centred, head in the sand, naive attitudes.

"The planet has had worse" - What are you referring to ? If it's what I think, then entire species have been on the brink of extinction as a result, repeatedly. Might as well give it a helping shove back in that direction I suppose ?

And I'm sorry, you're distrusting SCIENTISTS who have to PROVE everything they do with evidence and are subject to continual scrutiny by their peers.. You're distrusting them over who, American Politicians ??

The taxes comments are misguided - that's purely down to idiot politicians and business leaders who (a) Are rich capitalists, (b) Actually know fuck all when it comes to science, (c) Do everything they can to do things that they can spin to get votes - the actual end result takes third or fourth place. Scientists see NOTHING of these taxes, so why the hell would they be spending their lives working to allow politicians to increase taxes ? Your argument makes no sense.

And I'm sorry, but evidence is evidence. You have to disprove it with evidence or critically analyse the data, its collection methods and the data interpretation, not just say "Nahh wevs".

Politicians deal with these problems in appalling ways because they understand fuck all but politics - and politics is a sad and empty place these days. You can't put your head in the sand about the evidence. Just have an open mind and accept it if that's what the evidence shows - that means accepting evidence to the contrary too if it ever appears, which I doubt. I'm sure those who are less receptive to the facts about this have grown up in cities and have no idea what's out there.. I grew up in the countryside, now I live in London - I'm going to leave ASAP.

Either way, we're at the mercy of our governments to do something ACTUALLY CONSTRUCTIVE about it and to stop bumming the oil companies, coming up with joke schemes like CO2 credits and support sustainable research and development. But people should be aware of what we're doing.

I can't believe some people appear to think how we treat the world is a good or acceptable thing.

opticle

Part of the furniture
If they didn't then they would soon find themselves without funding

Whinging about natural climate change, that is a permanent feature of Earth, is quite fashionable.

Don't you think those that could prove them wrong have a fuckload of funding from capitalist industry ?? And they're not succeeding in proving them wrong ??

Naive. Honestly, if someone could successfully prove this wasn't a shitting big problem, they'd probably be knighted, sainted and everything else under the sun. They'd be a global hero.

I wonder why that hasn't happened.

Have you ever seen factories, power plants, cities, deforestation, landfill site ?? We're poisoning the planet and people's attitudes are appalling. How can you think it's ok ?

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Have you ever seen factories, power plants, cities, deforestation, landfill site ?? We're poisoning the planet and people's attitudes are appalling. How can you think it's ok ?

Well you seem to think it's ok. If the problem is so bad then why are you still contributing to it? You don't have to live in London. You don't have to own a computer and consume power by playing pointless games.

So what are you doing about this "appauling" problem?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Tom is quite right, i would sya that i haven't met ANY, not ONE, enviromentalist living in a cave, eating moss and covered in leaves.

MAkeup? Paper on those clippy boards? Sure. Hell, seen a "save the trees" erson passing out flyers. Oh yeah, that's irony in a bottle right there :D

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Also opti, why are we so determined to change the planets natural cycles? It's all bullshit. We can't affect the planet, the industrial era is such a tiny part of the planet's life span, it's ridiculous to think otherwise.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Well you seem to think it's ok. If the problem is so bad then why are you still contributing to it? You don't have to live in London. You don't have to own a computer and consume power by playing pointless games.

So what are you doing about this "appauling" problem?

That's an intellectually disgraceful argument Tom.

(But I suspect you know that)

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
Cba to read the article but the subject matter appears to be Global bloody Warming. On THAT subject I believe the only real impact Man has had is the rampant deforestation of our planet. We may be destroying our environment by poisoning the waters and the land but to insist that man has had an impact on such a scale as to CAUSE Global Warming is hubris in extreme. We certainly aren't helping the situation because deforestation and poisoning of Plankton cuts down on the amount of greenhouse gasses that are taken out of the atmosphere but consider this, ONE major Volcanic eruption produces more greenhouse gasses than Man has in his entire history.

We are exacerbating the situation but we are not the cause.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Don't you think those that could prove them wrong have a fuckload of funding from capitalist industry ?? And they're not succeeding in proving them wrong ??

Naive. Honestly, if someone could successfully prove this wasn't a shitting big problem, they'd probably be knighted, sainted and everything else under the sun. They'd be a global hero.

I wonder why that hasn't happened.

Actually, I don't think it's ok. What I have a problem with is the fact that it is used as an excuse to make money. There is huge amounts of money being made in green, virtually none of it has any real affect though. The climate has fluctuated since the beginning of time, a couple of degrees change a year is expected.

Landfill and pollution are an entirely different subject than climate change. They are not stopping, despite the amount of guilt laid at Jo public's door and the vast amount of tax generated.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
I'm a sceptic as you might of guessed :p
How about looking at what we know and what we don't.

1: The Earth is warming, loads of infighting , but even sceptics have to admit that the evidence is tipping towards that fact.
2: We have increased CO2 levels quite substantially.
3: C02 can restrict the radiation of heat into space
Anything after that is theoretical, with scientists of all beliefs and expertise arguing over the interpretation of
experiments and measurement.
THE WARMING TRENDS PREDICTED ARE BASED ON CO2 BEING A TINY HAIR TRIGGER FOR MUCH LARGER EVENTS.
Such as release of methane from frozen ground, not one of these theoretical events have been proved, it all exists in simulation, believe it if you want, I chose to be sceptical.

Uncle Sick

One of Freddy's beloved
*the usual Devil's Advocate witty stuff*

You don't have kids, do you?

Denying global warming or simply not caring about what might or might not happen is exactly what Corporations spend their lobbying monies on.
Good job eating it all up.

Punishment

Resident Freddy
Only Human's could be arrogant enough to believe we are killing the planet, we might make it uninhabitable for a short while till we die off but the Earth will keep on chugging as it always has, why not make some tax money off peoples insecurities while we can though eh ?

The advances in heavy industries emissions reduction and everything below them were going to happen anyway as it leD to a better more effiecient business model, but now that we have almost reached the goals that were set in most countries they have to create more scares and move the goalposts again as how else can they justify us paying the enviormental taxes that we do ?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home

Denying global warming or simply not caring about what might or might not happen is exactly what Corporations spend their lobbying monies on.

No, simply not caring whichever way it goes is exactly that; not caring.

Companies and conspiracies be f*cked, don't know about your kid-infested brain(since that's an issue now?), but i can think for myself and don't need verification on said thoughts from someone else.

Tom

I am a FH squatter

The biggest contribution you could have made toward ending anthropogenic climate change was to not have children.

Good job.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Whilst I don't disagree with your fact about having kids being the worst thing you can do, you're still arguing from the intellectually despicable standpoint that he should be punishing himself if his views on climate change are to be taken as valid.

You can hold views on the subject of climate change, capitalism, communism etc, but not have to live your life in a way that's extra-ordinary. You campaign for systemic change - but to live the life without that systemic change is to condemn yourself and your family to unnecessary pain.

You don't have to live the life of a societal pariah to hold a particular intellectual viewpoint.

I agree with you on most things but I find it abhorrent when people use the "if you don't live that way you're not allowed to hold your views" argument - it's intellectual bullying at its worst.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom