Theurgists in RvR

Garbannoch

Fledgling Freddie
I think that theurgists are the key to good alb groups; unfortunately not many can be seen in RvR and even fewer play them like they should be played (ie not as damage dealers but as CCer and interrupter). I am seriously thinking of making a theurg (either on excal or pryd) and wanted to know which spec is best.
I have played around with the char builder and only came up with the following 2 specs:

1)
40 ice, 35 earth
second best aoe root, highest ice pet, yellow pbt and earth pet with 1 min duration (although only the third highest one), the higher ice spec gives more dmg and less variation on the base ice dd if needed

2)
40 earth, 35 ice
second best earth pet, yellow pbt, second best ice pet, third best aoe root (bit of a weakness)

note: earth pets will be 1 min duration next patch (at least the 3 highest ones) and ice pets will be 35 sec duration. Ice pets nuke and interrupt from range while earth pets melee. Basically if you look at the 2 specs it comes down to this: (1) go for better aoe root and higher ice pet or (2) go for a higher earth pet (which are damn annoying);

So which one is better? Or is there another good spec I have missed?

Gordonax

Fledgling Freddie
At the moment, I'd say the first spec. As of the next patch, definitely the second if you're looking for a great interrupter.

Fluid

Can't get enough of FH
like i said on irc, i'd just go air all cos the nukes are teh coolest sound in daoc

Karmona

Fledgling Freddie
At the next parx the earth theur got a new pet and the ice more dmg i think, i prefer the 1st one,but if like be earth get 45 for the 6secs pbt ;)

swords

Can't get enough of FH
Spec number 1.

In a tank group you have decent enough earth pets to do the job of interupting, PBT and a semi decent AOE root to use.

This spec however has the added advantage that if you apply it to an albion assist caster group his damage output increases without losing any of the interupt ability.

The ice pets dd's are affected by the cold debuff on the sorcerer, so unlike the usual pets who are just there to be annoying these pets will cause some serious damage with 2-3 on an enemy healing class for example.
It also allows you to assist nuke with the baseline DD and help drop targets ever so fast.

You will find that you need to have some shit hot demezzers as Albion casters do not have the luxury of GP and BAOD for reducing cc times and negating it completely.

Though im sure with good teamwork (and a bloody good minstrel) this doesn't have to be too much of a problem.

Vodkafairy

Fledgling Freddie
Fluid said:
like i said on irc, i'd just go air all cos the nukes are teh coolest sound in daoc

lol aagree, spent a while spamming the lowest lvl nuke on a /leveled theurg once cus it sounds cool.

Anyway, I'm not so sure a theurg is the key to good groups, since pets are easily killed by confuse but I'd say the first spec is best this patch... After the next patch I'm not sure, probably second... the higher level root lasts like.. 1 or 2 seconds more on a det tank with resists so that's not rly usefull :/

Angara

Fledgling Freddie
Erhm Vodka, those pets are a pain in the ass for a me as a druid.
Killed easily or not, i hate em and they dont die fast enough ;) never...

Vodkafairy

Fledgling Freddie
Angara said:
Erhm Vodka, those pets are a pain in the ass for a me as a druid.
Killed easily or not, i hate em and they dont die fast enough ;) never...

Well yeah, they're extremely annoying when they're on you, but I'm saying with the long range of theurgs it's easy for a bard to confuse all the pets before they even start hitting/proccing anyone.

But if the bard is interrupted... then.. yeah you're fucked :p

Araudry

Fledgling Freddie
i tried a theurg with 45 wind 26 earth and it was a good spec or maybe if u prefer 45 ice 26 earth ^^

[NO]Magmatic

Fledgling Freddie
Spec #1 would be my choice, but isnt it 41 / 35? :confused:

And I do think a theurgist is a very valuable addition to a group, however... There arent that many that like playing one...

Gordonax

Fledgling Freddie
[TB]Magmatic said:

And I do think a theurgist is a very valuable addition to a group, however... There arent that many that like playing one...

Jeez, we have about 10 theurgs in HG.

Maybe that's why we're so goddamn good ;)

Garbannoch

Fledgling Freddie
[TB]Magmatic said:

yes in both cases there is 1 point available which i would add to ice to increase base dd damage (so 41 or 36 ice respectively)

Parlain

Fledgling Freddie
[TB]Magmatic said:

Gordonax said:
Jeez, we have about 10 theurgs in HG.

Maybe that's why we're so goddamn good ;)

Think Mag is referring to theurgs who concentrate on cc and interrupt alone rather than wanting to nuke; of which there are very very very few :(

And yes it's ice/earth or earth/ice to taste; we haven't really seen what the new pets can do yet but that 60 sec earth pet looks nasty ;)

Taglim

One of Freddy's beloved
[TB]Magmatic said:
Spec #1 would be my choice, but isnt it 41 / 35?

yea max you can get is 41 ice with 35 earth, suppose you could miss out on the snare nuke at 41 cos your pets do that anyway then put some in air, but why you'd want a mezz that'll last for less than 1 sec (i guess) on a det tank i dunno :p

and i dont like playing a theurg, mag bullied me into it ;)

tbh garb you'd get more utility from the first spec, as the ice pets do more dmg and cast more frequently than they do right now, so a combination of an ice and earth pet would keep someone busy for a while even if the earth pet is killed quickly.

it's not worth going for 45 earth for 6s pbt, power drain is so much serenity 3 would probably be needed to keep your power quite high when just running around (so i've been told anyway)

it's also my view that theurgs are only there for interrupts and backup cc, unless ofc there's a spirit cabbie in group :clap:

Gordonax

Fledgling Freddie
Parlain said:
Think Mag is referring to theurgs who concentrate on cc and interrupt alone rather than wanting to nuke; of which there are very very very few :(

Ours usually get mezzed and die before they get chance to do either! :)

Domain

Fledgling Freddie
Hmm... well, if you are planing to choose one of those ones, i would go for 1st one, more interrupt/cc time on the room, and better dmg cause +ice.

Anyways, if you are planing to play it serious ( i hope no xDD ) , you should to go for 45 wind, 29 ice and 2 earth.

From both views, mage grp and tank grp. In proper tank grp, you would be able too interrupt more succesfull, since the stun of pets, and you can assist to the train, with ur dd,Bubble in tank grp is really useless, since you got enough defense to save the huge dmg,you got a proper root aoe counting you real work, it would be to root tanks after the mezz has gone and root spam, mages in box, while you try to root/stun droods healers out of box, or far away from hero/warrior.Root chammy far away, and stun the healers /droods with pets, kill pets in case of hibernia with ur dd or aoe root them.

From mage grp, if you were thinking in get +ice cause the debuff, with 29+11+xx(from rvr rank) , it would be total enough,probably bubble is ok, but the bubble 8 secs really it doesnt help a lot,and like you know by ur exp in game, the dd based on wind, 209 dd value and counting with you would have 45 +11 + xx( from rvr rank ), you would be able to do nice dmg, when you arent debuffed.With the dd base , having no relics, and being rr5less, you will do crap dmg,

What more to say ? i dont know , but by my opinion , this spec is much more better.Only thing i would choose ur ones, it would be bcause the time on earth pets will change.

[NO]Magmatic

Fledgling Freddie
Parlain said:
Yes, I'm indeed referring to theurgs that concentrate on cc & interrupting... Unless there's a spirit cabablist in the group that debuffs for you, your nukes wont do a lot of damage anyhow (as air)...

Earth pets are nice since they will last 1 minute next patch, some say its not as good as air since they dont stun (seems air pets interrupt moc? never saw it myself, but puppet keeps complaining about them on irc ;))... And Ice pets are nice interrupt backup for when the earth pets get killed by melee/pbaoe...

So my preference (as said) would be 41i/35e... Not 40e since it doesnt 'give' much more then a better earth pet... While more ice gives you a better ae-root, less variance on your nukes (if you do decide to use them) and a nice ranged nuker (ice-pet)... And the 41 snare nuke 'can be' nice...

A lot of people seem to hate theurgists though, seeing ours dies an awefull lot...

Motowntheta

Fledgling Freddie
Dieing is a theurg class special ability, we pick it up at level 5 and the use timer gets less and less as we level up ;)

[NO]Magmatic

Fledgling Freddie
Domain said:
and like you know by ur exp in game, the dd based on wind, 209 dd value and counting with you would have 45 +11 + xx( from rvr rank ), you would be able to do nice dmg, when you arent debuffed. With the dd base , having no relics, and being rr5less, you will do crap dmg
Domain, how much spirit resist do you run with? Seriously ? :)
(I've heard that Garb has what? 55 - 60? without BAoD? )

Higher earth isnt for the bubble, its for the 1 minute pet... Why ruin power on nuking a tank when you could be pet-ing healers and keep them interrupted for at least 45s (removed 15s from moc ;))...

Fedaykin

Fledgling Freddie
theurgists are an assest to any group if used well

Pets on Healing classes are very good interruption, ASD is also good in the earth line, pbt has its uses, backup nukes imo, eb/haste tanks,

just very few know how to play, ask Strondor his views on the class imo

Wildfire

Fledgling Freddie
41 ice 35 earth 41 ice 35 earth 41 ice 35 earth 41 ice 35 earth

!!!!!!

edit: taglim rulz etc etc blah blah
~cough~ respec to ice u gimp ~cough~

btw it gives:

1) 8s PBT
2) AE Root
3) 60s duration earth pets
4) 41-spec ice nuke (use as part of a debuffing pbae grp and you've got another strong nuker)

bult

Loyal Freddie
We recently started to run with a theurgist in the group and i agree it really is the key to success its GREAT. If we get in mezz we usually have time to pet all the enemy support even with GP you have time to get a few pets off after that the mercs can kill the enemy tanks first without them getting any heals at all except instas. Or you can kill support still and kite tanks some more if you want ;p

About speccs our theurg is 41i 35e this is nice because next patch the earthpets will have like 350 hp but 60sec dur this is great vs tankgroups of course but vs PBAE they will be killed in a second or two ;p so icepets are really nice here. You also have AE root to interupt with wich is nice. Icepets snarenuke so cast one of tanks chasing sorc and they can be kited quite easily for the duration of the pet.

There is however one major thing speaking against this specc... Airpets interupt MoC and the others dont, this can be very very nice BUT i still think the added utility of ice/earth makes up for it.

Oh and one more thing, PBT rox ;P it might not be what it once was now with everyone on assist but i DOES help. You dont get slammed as easily and its easier to run away from the assistrain. PBT is also VERY handy when you fight the mindless zerg that is usually spread out evenly on your group.

Lethul

FH is my second home
bult said:
We recently started to run with a theurgist in the group and i agree it really is the key to success its GREAT. If we get in mezz we usually have time to pet all the enemy support even with GP you have time to get a few pets off after that the mercs can kill the enemy tanks first without them getting any heals at all except instas. Or you can kill support still and kite tanks some more if you want ;p

About speccs our theurg is 41i 35e this is nice because next patch the earthpets will have like 350 hp but 60sec dur this is great vs tankgroups of course but vs PBAE they will be killed in a second or two ;p so icepets are really nice here. You also have AE root to interupt with wich is nice. Icepets snarenuke so cast one of tanks chasing sorc and they can be kited quite easily for the duration of the pet.

There is however one major thing speaking against this specc... Airpets interupt MoC and the others dont, this can be very very nice BUT i still think the added utility of ice/earth makes up for it.

Oh and one more thing, PBT rox ;P it might not be what it once was now with everyone on assist but i DOES help. You dont get slammed as easily and its easier to run away from the assistrain. PBT is also VERY handy when you fight the mindless zerg that is usually spread out evenly on your group.

:fluffle:

Filip

Fledgling Freddie
I do belive theurgs is a key to succes for alb groups as well.. in fact so much i made a new toon for it, and i hate pve so much...

i have 35 earth (to get a 60 sec speed 5 earth pet vs tank groups)

40 ice (to get 2. best ice pet against pbaoe groups and 2. best root which albs really need)

9 air (to get access to a 12% power cost stun pet, the lvl 1 cost 15%)´

i have testet the lvl 7 stun pet and it is working okish... stuns from 1-4 times in the 20 sec it lives....

atm this spec is semi sux...

earth pets move with less than sprint speed (will get upped)
ice pet nuke for 60-80 (should be 150-200 according to vn boards next patch)
the pbt i never run becuase of the heavy power drain (remember EB/haste is a power drain as well)
but when my SC'er get my SC done+ i get sen2 i plan to have it running..

my nukes are useless..... i hit for 180-250 ... imho waste of power compared to pets and will be even more in the future..

but most of all i have great fun with my new little toon... only thing i miss is when i run with my minser im allways in the heat of the battle... my theurg allways try to lurk at max distance empty the power bar in less then 20 sec then use a pot.... more pets... then run ... then sit behind a tree or bush and wait for pets to die so i can use mcl...
sometimes i get lucky and die just when im oop and get rezzed with new power :)

swords

Can't get enough of FH
As stated already :p

Still you have two classes availiable for demezzing, and i would suspect the minstrel would be easier able to do this as the Sorc is usually busy having TARGET inprinted on his forehead.

with the jump, a Theurgist and minstrel on interupt can lock down an enemy support and give the mercs valuable time in which to kill things.
ATM the standard alb FOTM 3 merc setup lacks interupt ability and we suffer accordingly.

Toxx

Fledgling Freddie
i dont think you always need a theurg, if the sorc can mez, and get out of the way for the first 10 seconds of the fight, hes often forgotten about temporarily, and from bolt range i usually spend my time spamming mez / roots / amnesia on support... and it works just fine. Though when the sorc dies fast, theres no interupts apart from waht the minstrel can manage.

But a REALLY well played theurg is a god send no doubt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom