The truth is out there - sort of

Lick

Loyal Freddie
Taken from "Total PC Gaming" issuse 2

"Dark age of Camelot,

The Trials of Atlantis expansion pack client was finally disabled in Dark age of Camelot during November - we warned you last month, did you patch your client in time? We've also heard rumours that most British players have forsaken this sceptred isle's servers to play on the US ones, due to customer service issues and delayed updates and patches."

It looks like someones efforts have paid off. The quote was taken from a section titled " the big 5 " as in best MMOs , so the game is still considered top notch :)

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
Taken from "Total PC Gaming" issuse 2

"Dark age of Camelot,

The Trials of Atlantis expansion pack client was finally disabled in Dark age of Camelot during November - we warned you last month, did you patch your client in time? We've also heard rumours that most British players have forsaken this sceptred isle's servers to play on the US ones, due to customer service issues and delayed updates and patches."

It looks like someones efforts have paid off. The quote was taken from a section titled " the big 5 " as in best MMOs , so the game is still considered top notch :)

British players? Dyvet was more than that.

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
Dutch, Greek, Swedish, Norwegian, Spanish, Danish, Belgium, Scottish and 3 people from England was what Dyvet was in its glory days
You forgot Gerald the gerbil, although Im not sure what passport he ever had...

Celven

Fledgling Freddie
I find it surprising that a magasine as good as "Total PC Gaming" would make such a mistake the views of the same complainers and not taking into account the view of the majority.

How many people on the German/French servers do you see complaining?

I do accept that GoA are not perfect service but I don't understand why one would go to the effort to try and ruin the companies reputation :(.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I find it surprising that a magasine as good as "Total PC Gaming" would make such a mistake the views of the same complainers and not taking into account the view of the majority.

I do accept that GoA are not perfect service but I don't understand why one would go to the effort to try and ruin the companies reputation :(.

lol

scorge

Fledgling Freddie

ROFL LOLLER

:m00:

Zede

Part of the furniture

oh dear !

have a rep :)

Maeloch

Part of the furniture
It's a British mag, ofc it will concern itself mainly with what British players are doing and what they think in general - which will tend to be negative, having dyvet as their homeserver.

Never know, mebbe guy who wrote that is an active player and it's his own opinion based on experience.

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH

Hmmm....it does make ya wonder if he is serious...

Quite a few germans who are unhappy with GoA service aswell, and looking to roll on US aswell.

Gahn

Resident Freddy

Must be cause of the masses happy with the service that Dyvet got 80 ppl primetime.
Also there's little to no effort to ruin Goa's reputation, they did all the hard job by themselves -.-

Muylaetrix

Can't get enough of FH
Must be cause of the masses happy with the service that Dyvet got 80 ppl primetime.
Also there's little to no effort to ruin Goa's reputation, they did all the hard job by themselves -.-

i dunno, it seems i know more people who moved to german servers than i know people who moved to US server.

Septina

Part of the furniture
i dunno, it seems i know more people who moved to german servers than i know people who moved to US server.

Might have more to do with the fact that you dont need to buy an entirely new account and start from level 1 if you just switch to one of the more populated GOA servers.
Ontop of that US servers blows big floppy donkey dick when it comes to action at EU primetime. :)

Esselinithia

Fledgling Freddie
Even if we ignore the reasons to go to german server, and the fact good service isn't top priority for some, that doesn't mean the team responsible for keeping the community on english servers together and happy did a good job. In fact it still means: You don't want to play any game on servers managed by the "english" GOA team.

Warhammer Online included.

Gibbo

Fledgling Freddie
But playing German means there is no incentive for GOA to do anything about the English cluster.

^

In all honesty, do people even care on what server they play on anymore? I'd still play on a 2.5k population temair then on a 1.5k dyvet server now when I got enough plats to get everything I want, and already have a rr8 scout and a reaver..

Atleast thats how I feel, dyvet and all my chars there could just have never existed as far as i care about the server :(

old.windforce

Part of the furniture

I think thats because the people you know are more likely to play the same servers as you.

Action on the classic cluster is pretty fine at EU primetime.

Celven

Fledgling Freddie
Well I could problem name about 50 people on these forums that have openly discussed their dislike of GoA, this is fine, but how many people have played Dyvet or the European servers?

It's a big majority.

Esselinithia

Fledgling Freddie
Celeven: Others voted with their money, not everyone will tell the reasons.

When you lose 100 players, 5 tells you the reason, and from 5, at least 3 warns more will leave, 2 more people claim the same, but they still play: GOA should know it is time to act.

They haven't done.

So they lost 200 more players, the 2 already said what they said, and 3 more who left complained, and about 100 left for same reason, 100 just followed friends. GOA seen the situation is getting worse, and it is time to act.

Of course these people weren't on at the same time, so now the average peak time population droped by about 100 from these groups. GOA seen they lost population but they thought the server is still a viable alternative.

But then they lost about 50 more for the same problems, 150 more for "friends left, guild died" type reasons, and 200 noticed they have less and less action, to tried to move and follow. You might say: The leavers made population problems worse, BUT 500 people left for other reasons, and for them, population problem isn't a prime concern. (it was still prydwen crash time)

Next group of people who left was: Casuals. And a lot of people decided: not much fun to do on weekdays, lets just log on for set groups. People who helped the casuals otherwise, etc. Now, remaining casuals lost some of their actions, and some of the player base locked in a dangerous state: "we will be online as long as this group runs". Losing one member, even to IRL reasons can remove a weekly raid, and most of its members.

GOA soon got over it, most of the loses happened, and even with the massive drop they haven't seen the prme time population changed, and later they seen the number of active accounts with level 50 characters on Dyvet doesn't drop that fast. But many peopl started to play on two places: followed friends too, and followed action too.

There came the timer on different realm login: On most realms it is a nice thing, but it means: if no good group for you, you would either have to wait, OR move to another cluster. Guess what? A lot of people decided to move to another cluster. First as alts (Maybe to spend a few minutes in BG while they have chance to see the other realm), next they got more and more friends there, ended up with a stable group. They might check back to dyvet, but ...

But with more people like that, it was less and less likely to see any group on dyvet when you log on. Why? Because people spent less time on dyvet waiting and checking, they logged on, and if no luck on their side: Logged off. GOA then played with the different realm relog timer. If they would wait, they would have small chance to get people log on in short time due to the new timer. And thanks to timer, they had every reason to think: better log now, so we can have a chance to log on again (in other realm) soon, and find action. The "action packed" prime time wasn't that long.

As you can see: The result was simple: Less chance to find a group, less chance to find action, some of the usual scenes fragmented. The people who enjoyed these moved, and it deepened the population problem.

GOA made other problems, but at this point, the loss of population was coming from a steady stream, and when people who played on multiple clusters and was on dyvet still advanced more and more on other clusters and spent less and less time on dyvet that didn't change the number of "active on dyvet" accounts / characters.

This is how things work. That 50 people actually complaining is the number of people who probably left but still care about the game. Not always, but once in a while. Say: I check back once in every few months, for various reasons. Now, my plan was just to wish mery xmass. Then I see this: I stay for a few days to discuss things, then leave for months.

If you have 50 people complaining at an average time, that can be the result a few hundred people, who was active, known the forum, still care for the game, etc... who are complaining here or there once in a while. Which is quite alarming for GOA.

Golena

Fledgling Freddie

It's a British mag.
Why would they comment on what the French or German population is doing?
I think if you look at the current Dyvet population and the number of British people I run into on the US servers, they are actually very much talking about the majority.

Please go count how many British players (the magazines customer base) are currently playing on a GOA server in which they understand the language.
Since the article is probably also targeted at those people looking to pick up a MMPORG, since the people here certainly don't need a gaming mag to tell them where people are playing, then the US is the obvious place to send people. In fact a new player picking up a EU copy of DAoC would have pretty much just wasted his money, so it's very much warning people that they need to go get the US version of the game.

While playing on a German server is fine for people who have been playing the game for 5 years. I doubt a new player picking up the game for the first time and not speaking a word of german (us British only speak English afterall ;) ) would have the same experience.

It's not about ruinning GOA. It's about warning their reader base which version of the game they need to get if they want to try it.

p.s. Yes I know that the original post didn't really make it clear it was a British mag..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom