The strangest problem I have ever had with a PC

xane

Fledgling Freddie
I have a very nice keyboard, a Cherry G80-3000 USB, bloody good build quality, I had a non-USB Cherry keyboard for my first PC nearly 15 years ago, it still works although I popped one of the keys by dropping something on it. The design of both keyboard, although separated by about 8 years, is almost the same, apart from the USB sockets in the rear (the G80-3000 is also a 4 port USB hub).

However, recently it has started doing a very strange thing. The left shift key often refuses to work, particularly when I come out of standby, I have taken off the key and cleaned it all thoroughly, to no avail, in fact underneath it is spotless and the build quality on Cherry keyboards is such that it is virtually impossible for grit to get inside it.

I read somewhere that keyboards can be "reset", so after a quick googling, I pressed both shift keys, both control keys and the alt key, and hey presto, left shift works again !

Every time it ceases to work, I can reset it without fail using the magic "five finger salute" (no snickering at the back).

Right shift is fine.

Strange ?

phlash

Fledgling Freddie
Did Cherry hire Microsoft to write their firmware 8*0 ? Never heard of that one before xane..

Phil.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Dell used to have a similar problem with their big phat keyboards. Solution: buy another one ;)

Soz!

xane

Fledgling Freddie
One thing I haven't tried is powering the keyboard down (disconnecting the USB that is), but failing that working, I was thinking of getting this one as a replacement.

Anyone had experience with USB keyboards, my requirement is that it must be good quality and have a USB hub built in with at least 2 ports ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom