The Oscars

megadave

I am a FH squatter
Social Network was a good film but didn't do anything Oscar worthy, Choddywoddy is right imo.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
The Oscars is like the Eurovision Song Contest. You pretty much know the result before the show starts.

The Oscars have always been prejudiced against scifi films. It's all about "the art" and little to do with what's actually a good film to watch. Inception for example won the technical categories, but it never really had a shot at best film or director because it's scifi. Last years Oscars demonstrated it even better. Best film and director went to Hurt Locker by Kathryn Bigelow as well as a bunch of other categories. The other film that did pretty well was Avatar but only in the technical categories.
I watched Avatar and thought it was awesome.
I watched Hurt Locker and thought it was boring and depressing.
What I consider boring and depressing tend to win best film.
Check it out...
Academy Award for Best Picture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The only exception in recent years has been Lord of the Rings where there was no way in hell they couldn't honour Peter Jackson for the scale of his project. They just saved it all up for his third film.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Wasn't aware Lord Of The Rings was Sci Fi. :p

If you look on the categories for Star Wars on IMDb it isn't either :)

But if you want to google some, you'll see some Best Actor and such down the years for films like Charly and a few others.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy is just another genre, its not automatically entitled to a percentage of the Oscars, just like Westerns or any other genre.

Then again, Braveheart won 5 Oscars and given how wildly inaccurate it was, really it should be classed as a fantasy.

Cerb

I am a FH squatter
So should Micheal Collins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom