The Los problem

Gahn

Resident Freddy
So learning from Daoc experience (and no doubt avoiding like plague WoW implementation), how do u think they gonna deal with the eternal problem?
It seems that all Archery new implementation in Daoc been trashed in War (Arrows travel on a long arc to their targets and projectiles run very slow as far as i can see in the videos), so they gonna make the proverbial 1st Los check in shooting phase then let the arrow/projectile hit the target, whatever he done meanwhile, or they gonna implement double Los check and make travel a non factor?

vavires

Fledgling Freddie
So learning from Daoc experience (and no doubt avoiding like plague WoW implementation), how do u think they gonna deal with the eternal problem?
It seems that all Archery new implementation in Daoc been trashed in War (Arrows travel on a long arc to their targets and projectiles run very slow as far as i can see in the videos), so they gonna make the proverbial 1st Los check in shooting phase then let the arrow/projectile hit the target, whatever he done meanwhile, or they gonna implement double Los check and make travel a non factor?

imo, when a arrow flies from ure bow, and ure target in the meantime is behind a wall/tree we, it shouldnt hit. sounds only logic to me.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Players wont be able to run through each other like they could in DAoC, so i'd assume no arrows through trees either.

SkarIronfist

Fledgling Freddie
I can't remember what I was going to post, since I was reading the new forums guidelines.

I actually read the whole lot which is a first, but they made me chuckle :)

Anyway I remember now, there is going to be character blocking, but thats quite different that all objects (like trees) having LOS rules applied to them. The character blocking (There is a proper term which I can't remember) is in, but isn't that intrusive at the moment.

The problem as I see it, is if everything had a LOS applied to it, then in certain areas you could end up with your shots hitting boxes/trees/low walls. This could be annoying for the player. So I think it would be acceptable on large 3 dimensional objects. But not on what I would see as landscape filler, like trees.

AngelHeal

Part of the furniture
ever played guildwars? never had problems with that ether..

SkarIronfist

Fledgling Freddie
I don't see it being a problem. Its merely an extra calculation.

You have to remember that when you are moving the game has to check that you may be trying to move through a building, a player is no more than that. They will merely base a player as a simple cube and keep it simple.

Though if the person (Object) is laggy then you may find they may be somewhere where they are not meant to be.

I did read some where that smaller races, that if someone can jump over them they may get a overhead strike attack. But since I cannot remember the source then it could be "internet rumour".

Ogrelin Blodig

One of Freddy's beloved
Hehe, reminds me of UO, you could be chased by arrows around obsticles, round corners and you could be persuted by arrows for loooong distances if you had a fast horce ect... :)

Bahumat

FH is my second home
I did read some where that smaller races, that if someone can jump over them they may get a overhead strike attack. But since I cannot remember the source then it could be "internet rumour".

LMAO - imagine people buddy jumping like in CS for a better vantage!

Kremlik

Fledgling Freddie
If it's going to be true to WHF tabletop LOS will be a bitch, everything gets in the way, unless it's firing arc is up and over, and range over distance decreases your acc... The only conserlation when you hit you hit hard.

I'm on if LOS and cover will be a bitch as long as you can destroy the lower armoured guys in a few hits when you do.

Binky the Bomb

Fledgling Freddie
what class even has arrows in Warhammer?

Elves *spits* thats it I think... but I imagine most classes will have some basic ranged skill. However, if they are sticking to the themes of each race then its going to be elves with arrows. Everyone else MAY end up with crossbows instead.

Mcflury

Fledgling Freddie
squig herder has bow too...
most others have rifles idd (I haven't seen a crossbow anywhere in the few movies we have at our disposal honoustly...) or just plain magic to cover distances by means of damage
But Shadow Warriors and Squig Herders are the bow using classes in WAR.

Cerbos

Fledgling Freddie
theres no aiming in warhammer so they can jump all they bloody like and it wont do one bit of difference other then to fuck up their keyboard.

Well imagine for example a runepriest on top of an ironbreaker, constantly healing the ironbreaker without getting hit.

EDIT: or a caster on top of a tank wich can cast spells on everyone without getting hit.

Binky the Bomb

Fledgling Freddie
Er, guys, the targeting function should have a mouse select right? Surely all you'd have to do is click the healer and just let rip?

And i'm pretty sure you wont be able to stack characters on top of each other... that would be just stupid.

Cerbos

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah well, Binky, the idea was that melee attackers can't attack the healer since he's out of range.

Mcflury

Fledgling Freddie
I'm sure two dwarfs on top of each other are still very nicely in reach of any of the other races in WAR concerning melee attacks ;)

Also, if stacking would work, it would only last 3 seconds since that's the only amount of time CD works, so also between friends.

And then, to finish, I think you're all worrying too much :)
The RvR will run smooth, you'll see... no need to worry about freakish glitches in the eventual game (after all, that's what the beta players should be doing in our place...)

Binky the Bomb

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah well, Binky, the idea was that melee attackers can't attack the healer since he's out of range.

Erm, dude. Two dwarfs, one stood on top of the other... erm, don't quite know how to tell you this but, there only the size of your average human...

I.E. within attack range.

Mcflury

Fledgling Freddie
Erm, dude. Two dwarfs, one stood on top of the other... erm, don't quite know how to tell you this but, there only the size of your average human...

I.E. within attack range.

Not that we would want to offend dwarfs because of their highth though!
<whispering>: watch it binky, those littl'uns and their grudges can be damned annoying ;)

Binky the Bomb

Fledgling Freddie
True... but remember the dwarf mentality. All tree's are felled at the same height*. Its a dishonourable tactic, and goes against everything a dwarf would stand for. Height is no advantage if your doorways are only four feet high.

*=When their hands are closer to your head, your teeth are closer to their groin.

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
bout time we had collision detection in another mmo it adds another element to pvp should make ppl more tactically aware instead of just running straight into the middle of a grp and spamming pbaoe ala daoc :) will be very interesting in sieges too hopefully make battles last a bit longer

hope its a case of if your stood in front of a caster you take the hit from a gun etc an arrow i can forgive and maybe should be allowed to hit any target because of the arc

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom