The Interview

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Great film, must go and see it.

Oh wait.

People's opinions on this? I think it's ridiculous.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Someone should hack Sony and get a decent copy. Was very happy with the copy of Fury I downloaded a few weeks ago.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
This might be the most awesome viral advertising of all time.

Gwadien

This might be the most awesome viral advertising of all time.
I highly doubt they'll release the film after this, they received enough publicity as it was to get alot of people to watch it.

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
Someone has the right idea:

Sony’s decision to cancel release of “The Interview” has prompted The Alamo Drafthouse in Dallas-Fort Worth to show 2004’s “Team America: World Police” on Dec. 27 in its place.

Gwadien

I wouldn't be surprised to see it 'leaked'.

Why would they intentionally 'leak' a film? (assuming that's what you're getting at) It means they don't make money from it...

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Maybe not intentionally by the powers that be. But by the director or someone creative behind it to get their work seen.

Gwadien

Maybe not intentionally by the powers that be. But by the director or someone creative behind it to get their work seen.
To get their work seen?

This isn't a little indie company, it's Sony, they produce movies to make money, not to be 'seen'

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
To get their work seen?

This isn't a little indie company, it's Sony, they produce movies to make money, not to be 'seen'
The corporation fund them to make money. The individuals who create them are not Sony employees. They are contractors.

Gwadien

The corporation fund them to make money. The individuals who create them are not Sony employees. They are contractors.
If it was some indepth analysis into the concentration camps that North Korea uses, maybe, but a film just poking a bit of fun at North Korea?

Nah.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
what i want to know is, how are North Korea hacking up to date PCs with ZX Spectrums they have ?

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
I read today that a cinema in the US is going to show Team America on release day instead.

Fuck yeah!

leggy

Probably Scottish
It's a very interesting insight into a future overtly controlled by kids and computers. Not withstanding that, the film will be utter shite and I honestly couldn't care less.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
4sjCzK0.gif

Corran

Part of the furniture
TBH they should just release it online with a small fee to see, they should make a decent buck out of that with all the advertisement they got for it. Personally it sounded a shit film before, sounds like a shit film still, if it ever appears on sky movies i may watch it but that would be it.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
That's exactly what they will do. I am hoping it does well too so that it proves once and for all that releasing stuff first in the cinema is no longer a good way to distribute a new movie.

I don't know how much of a cut the producers of a film get but I imagine a fair old wack gets eaten by the cinema. If they could distribute directly online for say, £5 a film they would make far more and lower piracy in one hit.

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
but I imagine a fair old wack gets eaten by the cinema.

From what I remember, and a quick google says the same, they take half of the box office takings. In this case it was the cinema chains who refused to show the film not Sony, so to be fair they had no other choice but to pull it after that. Also even if they do go direct to VOD they aren't going to get close to the money from showing it at the the cinema even after their cut.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
That's exactly what they will do. I am hoping it does well too so that it proves once and for all that releasing stuff first in the cinema is no longer a good way to distribute a new movie.

I don't know how much of a cut the producers of a film get but I imagine a fair old wack gets eaten by the cinema. If they could distribute directly online for say, £5 a film they would make far more and lower piracy in one hit.

You don't give up a distribution channel if you don't have to. Cinema is profitable and your view they'd make more money not releasing that way is flat wrong. Example, Netflix and Amazon sourced programmes, which in reality cost customers fuck all, are still being pirated. There is no more attractive price point than "free".

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom