Film The Hobbit

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
I saw it last week and my impression was that it was too long, too many shots reliant on 3D (I went to the 2D screening), too much slo-mo and with flat characterisations.
Seriously, you could replace Martin Freeman with a cardboard cut-out and not notice the difference.

leggy

Probably Scottish
It was ok. Not a fan so I wasn't expecting much. Galadriel broke the tedium for me while I imagined sexes with super powerful, weird Elf chicks who can read my mind. I have visions of her saying 'that's exit only scotsman'.

On a technical note, I went to see it in IMAX 3D with super duper HFR. I HATED the 48fps frame rate. Almost as much as I hate 3D. I felt like it was less immersive as a result.

The best thing about it imo was the 10 minute teaser for Star Trek, Into Darkness (or whatever it's called). The 3D was spectacular and the movie looks pretty sweet.

Anyway - not a fan of the story, the book or the Tolkienverse. I guess this has done nothing to change that.

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
I probably won't. The first one was horrible. Three hours of running. Take the gryphons straight to the mountain ffs.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
yeah I agree. the first one was basically PJ wanking all over his production teams' ideas. too many close shaves getting away in the nick of time. Even Tolkein didn't resort to that :(

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
I liked it. Very surprised they showed Smaug, I would have thought they were keeping the ol' firebreather well locked up until cinema release, or at least another trailer nearer the time.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
can't wait tbh ^^ if theres one thing I love in such stories its dragons.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Well, finally got round to watching some of this last night. Downloaded it on the phone, and despite watching it on a tiny screen with headphones, contrary to my expectations, I actually enjoyed it. Still got the final hour to watch.

(wonder if Jackson is brave enough to make the Silmarillion....?)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Will watch it for the dragon, that's about it.

Probably won't show his arse too much before the "great finale", but meh.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Will watch it for the dragon, that's about it.

Probably won't show his arse too much before the "great finale", but meh.

For me, its all about the conversation between Bilbo and Smaug. Fingers crossed.

Some years ago, I saw a stage version of The Hobbit. Smaug was voiced as a sort of George Sanders/William Franklin style smoothie upper crust toff which worked really well.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Well, i guess it's fitting to raise this thread up as we're done now.

As per usual; Not a fan per say, just a dirty casual when it comes to Tolkien stuff, and haven't read any of it. Worth noting before i pop this spoiler tag here, as is leaving all the stuff out that needs disbelief stuffs ;)

Three movies and under the impression that the whole thing is about a dragon and dwarves('n stuff), kind of made me go "Well, i guess i'm out" at 15 minutes when they dropped the big bad :p Was expecting more of it, but it's not the story(fair dues), nice suprise of sorts if i want a silver lining. Popcorn down moment though, bit meh about that.

Then it was just a case of "Soooo....what now?" and on it went. Bit Tolkieny, bit Jacksony, in other words a bit long winded. Looked good as always. Bit too many "let us just try and pluck at your heartstrings" to be in good taste. Bit too amny if you will.

Also was hoping Bilbo would look at his home, dally a bit, then grab his stuff and head back out.

As a nutshell of shorts; Series of cool stuffs, entertaining, but not really my cup of tea to watch again outside of "Oh that's on tv".

Oh and final ntoe; f*ck the eagle plotdevices :p

Yes lots to disagree, but again, from the perspective of someone who doesn't know f*ck all about it.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Saw it Saturday. End was good. About it for me.

Really liked the others though :/

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Will be able to watch them all soon. Been waiting till I can get them all in hd on my to to watch them in a weekend or something. Can't stand having to wait a year between 'episodes'. Such a milking of the market.

I want the whole story in a reasonable time frame. And waited three years for it :)

Urgat

Part of the furniture
I enjoyed it.

And i disagree sbout Freeman.., i think he has "bilbo" down well as a character.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Yeah Bilbo was in the series absolutely perfect, the small things, especially if you compare to the LotR. Yeah ok the other hobbits fit the bill, but there were some annoying bits here and there. With bilbo it was just what it felt like it should be.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Watched the LOTR rotoscoped cartoon from the 70's..Jackson stole many scenes from it and the scene where the Hobbits are hiding from the Nazgul is painful to watch he drags himself around like someone with cerebral palsy

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/RrzrOyeo5o8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Watched the LOTR rotoscoped cartoon from the 70's..Jackson stole many scenes from it and the scene where the Hobbits are hiding from the Nazgul is painful to watch he drags himself around like someone with cerebral palsy

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/RrzrOyeo5o8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
The 70s cartoon was cool. Was that the one that only got part way through and didn't finish the story?

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Saw it on the 13th, thought it was way way too short. So many unanswered questions.
  • Arkanstone? What happened to it?
  • Taurial? What happened to her?
  • The shapeshifer? You saw him drop into the orcs, nothing after that?
I have to say this was the worst out the 3 and I feel it was rushed for whatever reason and really let the film version of The Hobbit down. Hopefully the Blu-Ray version will address and answer my questions.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Saw it on the 13th, thought it was way way too short. So many unanswered questions.
  • Arkanstone? What happened to it?
  • Taurial? What happened to her?
  • The shapeshifer? You saw him drop into the orcs, nothing after that?
I have to say this was the worst out the 3 and I feel it was rushed for whatever reason and really let the film version of The Hobbit down. Hopefully the Blu-Ray version will address and answer my questions.
Read the book :)

Tho I haven't seen the movies yet so don't know how much was filler made up by Jackson

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Read the book :)

Tho I haven't seen the movies yet so don't know how much was filler made up by Jackson
I read the book about a billion years ago when it was released on a lorry full of rocks, will rebuy it on paper or Kindle.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I'm one who didn't like the highdef super fps thingymajig(for me it looks sped up), but in this part it seemed to fade away quickly and probably made it look better. You don't notioce it, but i think you'd notice the lack of it.

So in short; i don't usually like 3d/hd theatre stuff, but i'd recommend it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom