The Good Old Days...

M

mrjack

I actually was in the FIRST beta! but then i quitted, it was too buggy and i was so in love with AC ;)
Anyway im back now andi cant say that anything has changed because i didnt play as long in the beta =( wish i had started seriously then

D

dakeyras

Is it only me that thinks this game has improved?

I don't look back all that fondly on going RvR with grey/green armour weaps cause thats all we had...and facing Mids all decked out in Twilight/Black Ice Hammers/bugged Ghastly Axes/bugged bows/chain stun etc etc

Don't know where in Alb some of you play but I must just come across the 40% good guys. Yes, there are twats but you'll get that anywhere. Maybe it is being in a good Guild? Dunno. Just that I feel this this game has got better and better.

RA's need revamping I'll agree. Balance shouldn't have been attempted via timered abilities. RA's should have been nice_to_haves, not must_haves.

Other than that not too many complaints. There were as many twats in the old days as there are now. One thing that always makes me smile is how some players are considered to be exceptional just because they rolled on day 1. Some of these oldies are the biggest twats in the game

G

gwal

only thing that has changed in this game for me is:

where I go
who I grp with

no point in exploring already explored areas, and a lot of the old areas arent good enough for drops/xp any more, so I´ve moved - new place, same experience

I dont grp with just any1, not on rvr and not on pve, I grp with those whom I know, so it´s fun

some may agree to this, some may not.

the game is what U make of it, the way U act, and do things means something to UR gaming experience - if theres something u dont like - change it, simple as that.

B

Belomar

I think you're correct, Cadwallon, it's just that most people are viewing those first days through very rose-tinted glasses. However, this only part of the reason; yes, the game has improved a lot and is better now than it used to be, but I think what most people posting in this thread are vainly pursuing is that wonderful state of noobishness you experienced your first few months in the game. When everything was new, every level was an adventure, every new zone an experience, and every new person you met was a potential friend. I still pursue that feeling and sometimes I can even feel its taste in the back of my mouth or the pit of my stomach, but as soon as I turn to catch it, it evaporates. Gone forever.

Ignorance is indeed bliss. :)

A

adari

took me a week to get lvl 9, but i had muchos fun though

if i start an alt and am lvl 10 without only 5 hours on /play im getting piss annoyed nowadays

V

Vasconcelos

Originally posted by Belomar
I think you're correct, Cadwallon, it's just that most people are viewing those first days through very rose-tinted glasses. However, this only part of the reason; yes, the game has improved a lot and is better now than it used to be, but I think what most people posting in this thread are vainly pursuing is that wonderful state of noobishness you experienced your first few months in the game. When everything was new, every level was an adventure, every new zone an experience, and every new person you met was a potential friend. I still pursue that feeling and sometimes I can even feel its taste in the back of my mouth or the pit of my stomach, but as soon as I turn to catch it, it evaporates. Gone forever.

Ignorance is indeed bliss. :)

Agree, except for the damned loads of hours spent at Lyonesse twees :wall: :puke:

S

SevenSins

I started in open beta, and the game then lasted on the community with the keyword being "respect".

People helped each other, grouped, talked, weren't selfish, the exp was always good, hell I remember grouping with 7 people and "chaining" green con hill cats, and we thought it was very good :p

Took me weeks to get level 9, I couldn't wait for that last name at 10 really. Also RPd a lot, and I think I was the first to venture into Hadrians, remember a whole group telling me not to do that, and it would be suicide or dangerous or something, was great fun then.

Emain was a place to chill, always remember that black-clothed hunter, forgot his name but it was always cool when you saw him :p.

Met most of my friends for retail in beta, and still know them, the funniest thing ever was me thanking woody 23098 times for clearing those beetles from mtk to amg with his spiritmaster :p

Ah, the good ol' days.

Nostalgy, and someone said your first RvR kicks, still have them with good people :)

S

SevenSins

Oh, and the idea for a server of nostalgy, I think we wouldn't stick, mainly due to the fact we got "used" to the new DAoC style, and we all play towards it.

Hell, we shouldn't waste that old touch we have by giving it to twats.

G

Genesis_of_Ak

Originally posted by SevenSins
I started in open beta, and the game then lasted on the community with the keyword being "respect".

People helped each other, grouped, talked, weren't selfish

Couldn't agree with you more. Yes I am looking at the old days through rose tinted glasses, Belomar. That's why I started this thread - I look back with a smile on my face and remember how much fun it was. Call it being a n00b if you like. Call it anything you like. I call it having fun. I don't have fun now. The magic's gone. Simple as that.

Dont' remember who mentioned the drug comparison but that's goddamn right.

For me, I will keep the account until it expires in October 03, then simply walk away. The most valuable things I will leave with are a shed load of Email addresses, and plenty of fond memories.

G

Genesis_of_Ak

...oh, and hopefully a 50th level Friar too ;p

O

old.Dillinja

I started playing in the beginning of April, and yes, I must say, I had the most fun I'd ever had on any game levelling my armsman. Everybody enjoyed xping back then, it was fun getting drops, and getting enough money together to dye your armour. New people to the game would ask you for directions or when they can wear different types of armour instead of "Hey dude, can i have some money plz??"

Ah when times were great...

edit : that is the beginning of April 2002 not 2003 :p

K

kan-

all the kids bought the game!

same with counter-strike, back in the betas it would be 'gg all wp'

now its 'cheating w**ker blah blah"

i blame the retail version, as for daoc, its just become so popular that people see a friend playing it and buy it. Youngest person i have spoke to on daoc was 11. And er, she/he was very annoying.

T

Tigerius

Pretty much agree with what Belomar said. What's being pursued isn't the old times in the game as such but rather the state of mind, and that can't be so easily reversed. The game just plays a trick on the mind, you think that the next purple mob is more exciting and interesting, that there is something cool to explore in the deepest depths of the zones, but once you've been there, seen that, killed it, your mind knows and doesn't fall for it.

Luckily it will in the next game, unless you enter it with a high degree of cynism but that can always spoil anything. Next game will start out as the same grand adventure with a huuuuuuge world and loooooads of new things to discover and things to marvel at and people (depends on if MMORPG I guess) to meet and then slowly slowly have these illusions dispelled and become more and more casual to you. To take an example here: why is your home town so utterly boring to tourist in? :p

Nostalgia is lovely, old memories are lovely, but they are usually far better remembered then they were once experienced. And once rexperienced they risk not only being disappointing but actually dispelling the entire good old myth memory in the first place. Example: why do we always remember our military duties as good memories, in reality most of it was a pain.

Progress is inevitable, progress is what's fun, you don't want the progress to stop what you want to return to is a state where there was more progress. Getting new drops was fun progress, farming cash for hours is far less so and the whole numeric process of SCing really does a poor job at hiding the fact that any drop is just something as boring as an icon with a few values attached (Excel anyone?). Discovering new strategies how to do something, discovering a new camp site, developing a new tactic for PvE/RvR was all fun and now most of them are already developed and most are using them, obviously less interesting but nothing we can reverse either? A majority of the progress which has taken place is in the end in your mind and stepping back a few patches won't change that, it will help you emulate the feelings from back then, set the mood to relive the moments maybe but little else.

My main complaint about the game these days is friends who quit, not-as-close friends who sell (or not sell) chars meaning you don't know if the "MrOldFriend" running by actually IS your old friend or not, old friends rolling new characters with new names but since he is not sure if your char is still your char you basically never get informed and you basically go by without talking to each other. All this char juggling in general isn't doing it for me, 1 char = 1 person, period. That's what I'd like. Oh and in the current state of "efficiency" (everything being done far more effective then it used to be, leveling faster, gaining money faster, tradeskilling with macros) which is obviously natural evolution too, people should sometimes be able to make some exceptions and not have to go for maximum efficiency all the time. Oh and 1 more thing, the current increase in efficiency (alot of it actually induced with patches, SC, RA's, quests for uber-xp, less xp needed, outpost bonuses, better drops) they are in fact actively diminishing the efforts we put in back there. That my theurgist used 80% of his mana per pet pull of a red back a long time ago is my own fault for wasted time, but why must a drop once "best" be made shite, that's not cool to the time I put in.

God what a rant, was meant to be a simple "agree with Belomar" post. Sorry. Emotional subject.

M

morgonslak

sure was.. and ur right , u do seem to remember old days more fondly than u did experiencing them.. :p but honestly.. the beta and the first 2 months of playing were the nicest time of daoc for me at least.. :)

O

old.Tohtori

Goold "old" days?

Was last night in a group, we were killing spiders in Nisse.

Well, since we were chaining them while chatting about cake recipies we decided it's no fun to just bash 'em.

So, one by one we had our turn in soloing a spider, some heals but the rest of the time the others danced around the spider :p

I'm still having fun with exploring, played for over a year but in my awe of new stuff, i never got past 24. I like to try all classes, many times even and when i got to BG last christmas, i had tons of fun! An alb! Finally i see an enemy realm person and...the dirt again. Hmm.

The dragon is my ultimate goal and i fear when i reach it one day in the future, the rest of my days i'll be desperate in trying to solo(with any means possible) the big lizard.

It's not about how long you've played, or how boring stuff gets. IT's about the mentality in raw. I have fun every day with doing low quests with "high" chars. Killing Jabrylla with a level 20 char and i can't WAIT to get past bg1.

*phew*

*bows*

D

Draylor

Originally posted by old.BJ|Bored
nah it was more fun in them days ;p

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/guy.tooke/Daoc Pics/arwanite.jpg
See theres the biggest difference between then and now. You died, you laughed - hell you enjoyed dying. The game wasnt about levelling (and doing everything) as fast as possible, it was about having fun.

Ah bad pulls at wights. Brings back memories of giving a minstrel a few heart attacks while trying to mezz on double pulls, and a mental breakdown when we'd pull 10 ;)

DAoC is still fun, while it stays that way I guess Ill still be playing :)

G

Genesis_of_Ak

I'm not saying its impossible not to have fun in the game anymore. That's why thousands of players still love Camelot.

But from a personal perspective I'm tired of (a) its innevitably become harder to revert to a noobish mentality, (b) certain specific gameplay content has lessened my enjoyment, and (c) I have let myself become susceptible to getting more and more irritated by rude, stupid, and idiotic players.

L

loxleyhood

I think the reason people miss the good old days is because theres so little to achieve at lvl50. RR5? MP suit? And what then.......?

G

Genesis_of_Ak

I can certainly see how a combination of Getting L50 RR10 and ongoing frustration in RVR can give one pause to consider where one goes from there.

Do another class on another realm, then be in the same situation 6 months later ? Then what ?

Some ppl in-game are suggesting raising levels above 50. I'm not convinced raising PVE levels to 100 will cure anything. You just delay the problem not fix it.

OK u get more items, harder mobs, newer zones, new expansion packs...but the problem is with fixing existing probs not creating new ones.

N

nightsorrow

RR6 is something to go for after RR5 imo, to get +16 to all:p

D

dakeyras

I think SC has damaged the game alot.

One thing I do miss is the hunts to Barfog etc. Epic mobs? The stuff they once dropped was uber and craved...now you wouldn't even have it in your PvE suit. But I remember the Guild hunts to try and kill Mordred and co and the anticipation of what uber items would drop.

The epic zones are now a waste of time unless you are going for the Dragon. Why kill Moran when you can buy stuff sooo much better?

Caer Sidi is now the only real option but once again the items are often not much better than SC if at all.

If jewelcrafting comes in then the need to do anything other than grind/rvr/craft is gone. I would really like them to re-introduce drops that are way, way better than anything you could buy to inject a bit of excitement back into PvE

D

dakeyras

I think SC has damaged the game alot.

One thing I do miss is the hunts to Barfog etc. Epic mobs? The stuff they once dropped was uber and craved...now you wouldn't even have it in your PvE suit. But I remember the Guild hunts to try and kill Mordred and co and the anticipation of what uber items would drop.

The epic zones are now a waste of time unless you are going for the Dragon. Why kill Moran when you can buy stuff sooo much better?

Caer Sidi is now the only real option but once again the items are often not much better than SC if at all.

If jewelcrafting comes in then the need to do anything other than grind/rvr/craft is gone. I would really like them to re-introduce drops that are way, way better than anything you could buy to inject a bit of excitement back into PvE

H

Hit ^_^

they sould have stoped the major patching patch before DF came. and consentrated on the "fixes" like los and chain stun and such.droped items now sucks if you dont get the by zerging some ubah mob whit 200peeps.

O

old.Hothnogg

Im not one doe talking much on forum's. Some nice things said, and agree with alot of them, Beta was a great time had by many, short lived, everything was new people low levels and no bloody nerf bats coz we didnt know what was what, now us oldies can look back and say thats been nerfed and this and this, new players wont understand and say so what, your class is crap, always has been, always will be (thats goes for all realms) hated clerics personaly (dtm if ya reading :) ).
Alot of fun was had, just good old memories now, that no one can take away from us.
Every time i walk up crim vally in emain to the bowl (ps i'm the daft git that gave it that name for hibs on excli ;) just a bit of history for ya ) im reminded of great battles up and down it, fighting from crim to amg, /sighs good old days ;)
oh well no more ranting or i unstall hehe

laters
/big wave to all the oldies

A

angrysquirrel

i remember being lvl 30, the bees knees, had 29000 rps and the highest in the alliance (ranger btw, before being hit with the shitty stick) and i even got invited to groups :)

then i was still lvl 30, a dogs ball, still had 29000 rps and the lowest in the alliance (still ranger) and groups had a /turns back on you macro....

hi im a bard now :p

its changed, but we have memories of the good old days :) different for each realm and diff peeps, but sooo much of what peeps have said here is true !! the first rush of rvring in emain and when you ding, train and new a new style or spell ..oh memories :)

this post cheered me up btw ta.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom