The Good Old Days...

G

Genesis_of_Ak

I'm not sure if anyone reading this has been playing since beta...but...wasn't everything 15 months ago a hell of a lot simpler ?

The hole in the wall in the Barrows was a life-saver. You could chain-pull mobs. Cleric smite wasn't nerfed. 2H Paladins were respected.

We had a RVR leader (Finster) and we won much more than we do now against Mids and Hibs. No one nicked our relics.

There were less noobs. Mithra was fun to experience in. There were loads of people in Lyonesse and Catacombs ! Cabalists were fun to play. Minstrels were of use in RVR.

Someone reaching 50th level was rare ! Someone having more than one 50th level character was unheard of ! No one used illegal macros to power-level. Guilds were relatively few in number and contained nice people.

Nowadays, 60% of Albs are twats, average age 13, IQ the same, possessing an inability to form relationships with anyone in the real world, a masturbation fixation, and intollerance of anything or anyone other than themselves.

We suck in RVR. The classic PVE zones are now empty. Now everything is powerlevelling, buff-bots, IRC, and if anyone posts anything in BW its guaranteed flaming material from degenerates (you know who you are, arseholes).

Spell-casting has now powered us all up stupid. You now need frigging calculators, charts, 2 PCs blah blah blah

Sometimes I just feel like re-installing DAOC without any of the recent patches or the SI joke, and just play like in the old days...

F

Flimgoblin

bring back stunguard
nerf falling
who needs dungeons anyway?

who needs high level mobs?

drops? what are they?

High level crafted items? nah!

content! kill it!

F

Faeldawn

Recent patches have rendered me unable to play at all, count yerself lucky :)

G

Genesis_of_Ak

Agree, Filmgoblin. What the point in having some huge level 73 giant crab mob near Calleach Guards in Lyonesse when (a) you need 1-2FG level 50's to take em out so not worth the effort, (b) they're shit xp if you're <level 50, (c) they drop stuff you can pick up each pop (like the dragon) and can beat the stats anyway through SC any old item.

K

Kagato.

Bad ideas:

Spellcrafting,
Realm Abilities,
Battlegrounds.

Due to these, anything but highest level epic mob drops are useless, fresh level 40-50ies with few rps stand no chance against an 'old' level 50 who probably isn't even being played by the original creator anymore with so many accounts being sold and traded and with the battlegrounds you no longer see the army of greys greens and blues in rvr that you used to get, before hand you used to go over to emain at level 15, and have fun.

R

Repent Reloaded

I remember going to RvR when good old Lamus was a scout, I was lvl 8 and I got pwned by Trapp. After that I gave trap my word I'd kill her/him one day (even thou he/she didnt know) alot l8r on I found Trapp in DF with Sirgel (armsman) me and my group have him/her abit of a woopin so I was happy :D

G

Genesis_of_Ak

Aye ))

I remember the days when around level 15, you wandered into that mysterious place called Sauvage seeing all those purple con characters dressed in black and looking very serious on that pad !

Remember your first rush of adrenaline in your first RVR battle encounter ?

Nowadays every man and his dog ports ! And what's with the /roll and /random shite ? Goddam ppl mouthing off to each other on the pad, dualing at the most stupid fucking places ! Get rid of Battlegrounds for gods sake !

O

old.BJ|Bored

AND

ppl used to chat while chain pulling

was vaguely bareable at trees when there was jokes and chat going off

now its all dead serious silence must xxxpp

tbh daoc started dieing with df/ra's for me

however BG1 is silly fun atm with a necro LOS abusing, soo satisfying remembering all the times i died to chanters/ archers in walls at bled

G

Genesis_of_Ak

<grins as the trees / worms memories come flooding back> :D

...waiting for that pbt Theurg to show up...getting a mincer so you can sprint from spot 1 to spot 3 before it got nicked LOL...trees that ghosted...flaming ppl who hit the mezzed worm...joking in chain pulling cos it was so damn boring otherwise...

R

Randalff

ones there was a time that spindelhalla wasn't a buffbot powerlevel dungeon, and u didn't even know what powerleveling was :) good old days :)

A

Archeon

Sad to hear it, i find that Midgard has changed very little atleast compared with when it started.

You might be right, i find that when i do find out sombodys age RL its not somthing i care too much about... (unless their asking me if i want to come round their house and look at their blue football medals ;) ) i've met people who claim to be 20+ and are total assholes, i've met people claiming to be 13-14 who are so smart i consider getting their house address and sending it to MENSA so they can get grants that will one day spawn the creation of a rocket car (named after myself of course, you know you'd love to drive an Arch-Mobile :D)

Really though it seems once a game reaches a certain... lets call it age people start to reminise, i'l bet that in a few years time after we've all moved on for one reason or another all the kids playing then will say

"Man, i remember the good old days back in patch 1.60.... man, those sure were sweet times. Nobody knew what Plvling was, buffbots were really rare and frowned apon. And talk about cool RvR, they never zerged... ever!.. Oh yeah, and that Archeon dude really kicked ass he was so great, shame the GOA staff forced him out for being too cool"

C

Cap'n Sissyfoo

~sniff~ When I started playing people seemed to be having sooo much fun. Groups were always full of chatty, funny banter.

Lately everything seems soo boring. Nobody wants to talk, they are all deadly serious and most have a 'less talk, more pull' attitude to the game. Pretty sad really. BG is pretty much the only time I ever get to have fun in the game these days. I no longer group with people outside my guild because I probably talk to myself more than they talk to eachother.

Stupid Mythic.

F

Faeldawn

SCing has killed off a lot of the game play, as drop hunting is irrelivant except for a few select items.

Sc+RA's means that the powerful become more powerful, and that casual gamers need not bother playing anymore coz they wont stand a chance in a straight-up fight.

F

fl3a

ah the good old days - reaching L5 and being proud of it... farming green con serpents for skins that sold for 55c a piece...

making my first ever shammy! man that was cool... noone had a buffbot, our guild had no L50s, man the times were good...

Sometimes I just feel like re-installing DAOC without any of the recent patches or the SI joke, and just play like in the old days...

same here

E

erhardt

I remember so well playing 10+ hours in a twee group, having loads of fun, only because of witty comments!

lets go back to version 1.45 :)

L

loxleyhood

Get rid of IP. In df I completely and utterly out witted a beserker, got behind him, pummled him with arrows, got him to 3% health.....

BLING!

Full health, me facing a very large troll.

Outwitted him again, got him to aggro 6 rocots ;)

E

echekiel

oh yeah good old day miss me a lot too :(
being with so much friend having interesting discution,good guildies,rare stuff to get,having an RvR strategy and so many things that I cant remenber them all :)
I still remenber going to DM with Cerverloc matje for trying to get the darksword for Cerver
OMG good old time :(

Echekiel merc 50 (retired)

Akhiros pala 37 (active)

<Dragon Knights>

D

dimerian

I think kids are richer or parents are more openminded nowadays :|

G

Gurthaur

Yeah, give us a nostalgia server GOA! ;)

With no SC, no RAs and without all that stuff that seemed so cool but really made the game booring.

Would be fun...

T

timberwolf

Things I remember the most, during the closed beta anyway, was the arranged RVR that no one could fight in until someone gave the ok - a big bunch of different realms standing shoulder to shoulder but not attacking and then, as if the lights turned green, a mass scrap would commence with total chaos. People were impressed with the lvl 30's, let alone anyone getting to lvl 50.....

Also 2 fg's fighting the purple mobs and ALL of them ganked to buggery.....

I think DAoC has progressed and some of itis good, some of it is bad, but those that are still playing can't deny that all the hours you've put in has kind of been worth it.

Very funny times.

G

Genesis_of_Ak

Aye, Gurthau.

A nostalgia server would be nice. Just all the old-school Camelot ppl, none of these "I've levelled my Necro to level 50 in a weekend" kids who have had their account for 5 minutes.

Then perhaps all the decent people who left because the game changed so much may come back and for a brief time it would be like old times again.

Decent Guilds, fun groups with good-natured humour, no flaming, no Apathy-type unwarranted spitefulness, no RA's, no SC, no Darkness Falls, no dualling, etc

Is Anyone interested in forming a guild of old-school Camelot ? We could play on the original DaoC program, start off as level 1's again....ah well...just a thought !

G

Genesis_of_Ak

oh...forgot one thing...

Icons. Even though there were only 8 spaces, and the icons for weapon styles and buffs etc were all the same, I got used to it ! Remember how goddam bemused you were when you loaded up post icon patch ? Bet your first comment was "WTF?" ! Mine was !

OK so every icon looked the same, but you KNEW what they all did ! And I'm sure they were smaller too...

G

g0ldenbone

Originally posted by Sissyfoo
I no longer group with people outside my guild because I probably talk to myself more than they talk to eachother.

Stupid Mythic.

Thats a Blatent fib and you know it :)

AND.. although there isnt the same uncharted territory in the game (either geographically or otherwise) there are still loads of top people who are a good laugh to play with.. It almost doesnt matter what you're doing in-game when you've got good company... its just a playground at the end of the day :)

however.. I do remember levelling my armsman (still in chain :) ) and seeing all these con purple, plated toons run towards those interesting looking standing stones in the Salisbury Plains.. Those were pretty cool times :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom