Film The General Film Thread

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
That would suggest to me you like their world-building which if I'm honest was never a strength of classic sci-fi. It was all about ideas rather than good prose and well written character/worlds/politics. Ringworld for example is a terrible book and incredibly dated but full of amazing speculative science.
I like hard science-fiction. Prose, characters, worlds, politics (which Dune has) are requirements for great reading but without an actual science basis they're just fantasy and I may as well be reading Harry Potter. My opinion of which is the same as Carl Sagan's - it's a shame for mankind that we retreat into fantasy and magic rather than demanding more, intellectually, of our entertainment.

Books are software for the mind. In an ideal world they should introduce us to new concepts and tell us something about the world we live in as well as entertain us. There's absolutely space for pure fantasy - 100% - but if it's all you ever read ...

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Pretty much Dune and (even better) Foundation (which, looking at the trailers I can see a lot of liberty has been taken with) are my two big anticipated films of, frankly, the last decade.

I think I'm going to read Foundation and Second Foundation again before it's released. (I read Dune again last year for the first time since my 20's. It's staggeringly good - especially know I know more about ecology). The rest of them can knob off though. It was the first two that had real impact for me.

Is there anything else Sci-Fi (actual sci-fi) coming up that's a real classic?

Isn't Foundation going to be a series?

DaGaffer

That would suggest to me you like their world-building which if I'm honest was never a strength of classic sci-fi. It was all about ideas rather than good prose and well written character/worlds/politics. Ringworld for example is a terrible book and incredibly dated but full of amazing speculative science.

I think you could could update a lot of the Known Space stories for TV quite easily actually. Ringworld was probably Larry Niven's most successful but worst book, but you could definitely make it work, but the Known Space stories even more so; I've been rewatching Fringe lately and I couldn't help thinking how a lot of it was like the Gil The ARM stories and quite a lot of concepts in those stories (organlegging, ubiquitous security, restrictions on parenting) have come true, but in China rather than the US.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Gunpower Milkshake - Was okay. Dunno why it didn't really keep me interested considering I like the whole cast.

Got a copy of Fast 9 to watch later. Am expecting absolute stupidity and crapness to the point it's good.

Overdriven

Got a copy of Fast 9 to watch later. Am expecting absolute stupidity and crapness to the point it's good.

Okay, finished it.

It's an EXTREMELY over the top movie where you have to turn your brain off else you'll poke lots of holes in the story.

Excluding that: Stunts are insane and stupidly good. Acting is.. What you expect. Plot is ridiculous, cast is good, and the cars are... There.

Worth the watch if you've watched the others.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Okay, finished it.

It's an EXTREMELY over the top movie where you have to turn your brain off else you'll poke lots of holes in the story.

Excluding that: Stunts are insane and stupidly good. Acting is.. What you expect. Plot is ridiculous, cast is good, and the cars are... There.

Worth the watch if you've watched the others.

Yeah, some pretty big stuff in there that hasn't been mentioned for 20 years.

Yes, that's how long Fast and Furious has been going for :|

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Shadow in the cloud. One of the stupidest fucking things I have ever watched, and I have seen some stupid shit.

Overdriven

The Suicide Squad - Easy 2 hour action movie. Some actual funny haha bits.

Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard - Probably the best movie I've seen this year. It's funny haha and good action. It's just product placement for gin.

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Had a bit of a shark Weekend here, watched Deep Blue Sea the original on Friday, Deep Blue Sea 2 and The Shallows last night, and finished the weekend with Deep Blue Sea 3. Nothing like a bunch of great B movies to cheer you up on a rainy weekend. The Shallows was proper quality! 🦈🦈🦈🦈

DaGaffer

I thought it was better than the 2016 version.

It couldn't really be worse.

It was fine. Apart from Warner Bros' fixation with Margot Robbie. Her version of Harley Quinn just isn't that interesting. And the plot was actually The Expendables with added space mollusc.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
It was fine. Apart from Warner Bros' fixation with Margot Robbie. Her version of Harley Quinn just isn't that interesting. And the plot was actually The Expendables with added space mollusc.
Yeah. There were some good ideas but I think the whole thing was a mess tbh. The vast majority of the funny bits were anything but and totally agree with the point on Robbie - the character is just doesn't come off as deranged or psychotic - just really dull.

There's a nugget of a good movie in there somewhere but I don't think it's struggling to get out. I think it'd be stillborn.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I thought the Harley Quin character was portrayed a lot better than the previous films.
I quite enjoyed the film actually.

In what way was it a mess?

DaGaffer

I thought the Harley Quin character was portrayed a lot better than the previous films.
I quite enjoyed the film actually.

In what way was it a mess?

Watch the Harley Quinn TV show; its a million times better than any of Robbie's movies.

I'm not sure I'd call it a "mess" as much as "painfully obvious"
As soon as Harley got the spear I knew exactly where that was going to end up by the end of the movie. Rat girl's role was also completely obvious, especially if you know anything about Starro. I think Rick Flagg getting killed was the only actual surprise in the movie.

James Gunn also clearly has some visual ideas he's very fond of; one or two scenes were straight lifts from Guardians just with added gore
Harley's escape and Rocket and Yondu's escape were basically the same for example

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
And frankly, I have a massive man crush on Frank Grillo.

DaGaffer

Free Guy. It's fine. You can't really go wrong with Ryan Reynolds and gamer cliche stuff is very well done, and there are couple of excellent cameos, but its nothing memorable.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Free Guy. It's fine. You can't really go wrong with Ryan Reynolds and gamer cliche stuff is very well done, and there are couple of excellent cameos, but its nothing memorable.
Yeah i watched that. Wasn’t terrible. And the timey wimy stuff is done quite well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom