Film The General Film Thread

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I think the problem is when silly films try and take themselves too seriously, I didn't get that from Tomorrow War, likewise Army of the Dead, both just completely stupid both fun to watch on a Friday after a week at work.

Pick any Marvel film, and they are all completely daft, with some nice action scenes.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Space Jam 2021.

Some things don't need to be remade. This is one of them. This is about as self-blowing as Warner Bros can get.

Other than that, it's a film which has some "hah" moments but yeah.. One and done. Even the wife was like "Nope"

Last edited:

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Gunpowder Milkshake. A fun watch with some great action scenes but pretty forgettable overall. It's basically John Wick but with an almost entirely female cast (all the baddies are men though of course).

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Why is the acting quality on Ken Loach films so piss poor? Is it intentional or budget?

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
Why is the acting quality on Ken Loach films so piss poor? Is it intentional or budget?
Intentional - he likes to use "real people" with no acting training and makes them improvise scenes a lot.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Just finished the Fear street trilogy

interesting, gory and a its got some nice connections and easter eggs through them. Netfilx if you are interested

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Gunpowder Milkshake. A fun watch with some great action scenes but pretty forgettable overall. It's basically John Wick but with an almost entirely female cast (all the baddies are men though of course).

Platform? I met Karen Gillan at a pub once - got a picture too!

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Saw Netflix Vampire flick "Blood Red Sky" yesterday, good stuff if you like movies with teeth.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber

Enjoyed it pal (y)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Wow. My overriding feeling after watching that trailer was "why did you fucking shoehorn in a shitty playstation 5 controller advert you cunts".

:(

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Pretty much Dune and (even better) Foundation (which, looking at the trailers I can see a lot of liberty has been taken with) are my two big anticipated films of, frankly, the last decade.

I think I'm going to read Foundation and Second Foundation again before it's released. (I read Dune again last year for the first time since my 20's. It's staggeringly good - especially know I know more about ecology). The rest of them can knob off though. It was the first two that had real impact for me.

Is there anything else Sci-Fi (actual sci-fi) coming up that's a real classic?

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Pretty much Dune and (even better) Foundation (which, looking at the trailers I can see a lot of liberty has been taken with) are my two big anticipated films of, frankly, the last decade.

I think I'm going to read Foundation and Second Foundation again before it's released. (I read Dune again last year for the first time since my 20's. It's staggeringly good - especially know I know more about ecology). The rest of them can knob off though. It was the first two that had real impact for me.

Star Trek Discovery!!!

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Star Trek Discovery!!!
Anything without magic mushroom transportation systems?

Not that I've got anything against magic mushrooms, mind you. It's just the ones that give me space and time travel trips really stretch my sense of reality in an unpleasant manner.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Anything without magic mushroom transportation systems?

Not that I've got anything against magic mushrooms, mind you. It's just the ones that give me space and time travel trips really stretch my sense of reality in an unpleasant manner.
Anything positive to say?

Zarjazz

Foundation is an Apple+ TV series and not a film adaptation. I believe it's out end of September actually. No idea how many seasons it'll run but yeah they've had to take huge (understandable) liberties to get it on the screen. As written it's pretty much unfilmable.

There were some stories about a Hyperion and a Flowers for Algernon adaptations a while back but I'm not seen any updates for some time - most early development announcements fail to actually make it to production. If you want a conversation about the best written sci-fi of all time Hyperion is certainly right up there with Dune.

However the Three Body Problem series has been green-lit by Neflix but won't be out this year. It will be a year or two before that airs.

Last edited:

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Foundation is an Apple+ TV series and not a film adaptation. I believe it's out end of September actually. No idea how many seasons it'll run but yeah they've had to take huge (understandable) liberties to get it on the screen. As written it's pretty much unfilmable.
Yeah. Fair point tbh, but series now are just longer, potentially more interesting films. ;)

I reckon you could make a good fist of a theatre production of Foundation though - it's effectively a series of conversations had at different times. It's not about the special effects etc. It's more of an intellectual exercise.

If you want a conversation about the best written sci-fi of all time Hyperion is certainly right up there with Dune.
Wasn't fussed (despite the awards). I never bothered with the second book when all the different people went to confront the shrike. - very complex and well-written but way too heavy on the fantasy side for me.

Dune, on the other hand, is a story about emerging religious jihad set on a planet that has a wonderfully realised ecology - written at a time when we were beginning to understand what an ecology really was. So it blends science, environment, social and religious concepts with cutting observations on human nature and wraps it all in a cracking story that obeys the ruleset it establishes.

It's hard for me to think of many novels which hit that sort of standard - and the ones that do (including Foundation) do it in their own unique way.

Zarjazz

It's hard for me to think of many novels which hit that sort of standard - and the ones that do (including Foundation) do it in their own unique way.

That would suggest to me you like their world-building which if I'm honest was never a strength of classic sci-fi. It was all about ideas rather than good prose and well written character/worlds/politics. Ringworld for example is a terrible book and incredibly dated but full of amazing speculative science.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom