Film The General Film Thread

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
The White Tiger on Netflix.

I remember reading the book a long time ago, very good film with good insights into India.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Scum, remastered on Amazon, brilliant film, very early Ray Winstone.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
If you watch teh original Coming To America - it's not dated that well.

This smacks of Mr Murphy being desparate to reignite a stalled career - and judging by the trailer, with more of the sort of material that stalled it. Nothing made me smile.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
If you watch teh original Coming To America - it's not dated that well.

This smacks of Mr Murphy being desparate to reignite a stalled career - and judging by the trailer, with more of the sort of material that stalled it. Nothing made me smile.

A stalled career. I think not.

He is one of the highest paid actors in the world. Even in the 2000's. He is earning millions still per movie. Around $200m for his films in total.
He was in Dolemite (2019) and Netflix is due to pay him $70m for three comedy shows.

He has been in something nearly every single year since 1982.

Beverly Hills Cop 4 is also in the works

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
A stalled career. I think not.

Beverly Hills Cop 4 is also in the works
Beverly Hills Cop 4's been in the works since 2013 (and fuck, another sequel?). Even his wikipedia profile says 2010's "decline and resurgence".

Resurgence being a 2019 flick and back to Saturday Night Live.

And he's bringing out chod - Coming 2 America, Beverley Hills Cop 4. When he was young, off the back of his fantastic stand up (sort of a homage to Richard Pryor) his movies were fresh and exciting. I've not seen Dolemite is My Name but I might d/l it. Maybe it's the same sort of resurgence that John Travolta had when Pulp Fiction brought him back into relevance with a bang.

So, for me at least - I say stalled career because a raft of shit family movies for the past couple of decades followed by a critical hit he's trying to capitalise on. Meh.

Arguable, at best :)

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Beverly Hills Cop 4's been in the works since 2013 (and fuck, another sequel?). Even his wikipedia profile says 2010's "decline and resurgence".

Resurgence being a 2019 flick and back to Saturday Night Live.

And he's bringing out chod - Coming 2 America, Beverley Hills Cop 4. When he was young, off the back of his fantastic stand up (sort of a homage to Richard Pryor) his movies were fresh and exciting. I've not seen Dolemite is My Name but I might d/l it. Maybe it's the same sort of resurgence that John Travolta had when Pulp Fiction brought him back into relevance with a bang.

So, for me at least - I say stalled career because a raft of shit family movies for the past couple of decades followed by a critical hit he's trying to capitalise on. Meh.

Arguable, at best :)

Dolemite is actually pretty good. It's on Netflix!

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
I think it will be fun to watch.... I actually watched coming to america recently and it has aged about as well as most over films made at that time in that genre.... oO

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
So I just read a spoiler for Zack Snyder's Justice League and if it's true, fuck that movie quite frankly. (spoiler included for those that are interested and don't care about spoilers)

So apparently Aquaman and Wonder Woman are killed at the end and Amber Heard's character (yea, the domestic abuser and ex of Johnny Depp replaces Aquaman's character)

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
So I just read a spoiler for Zack Snyder's Justice League and if it's true, fuck that movie quite frankly. (spoiler included for those that are interested and don't care about spoilers)

So apparently Aquaman and Wonder Woman are killed at the end and Amber Heard's character (yea, the domestic abuser and ex of Johnny Depp replaces Aquaman's character)
Highly doubtful

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Apparently its what happened in the comics and sets up for JL2 / Barry Alan trying to go back in time to warn the JL, I don't like it personally if it is true
Thing is though
DC doesn't have the star power or the characters in the film universe to pull that off, especially given how pap WW84 was.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Thing is though
DC doesn't have the star power or the characters in the film universe to pull that off, especially given how pap WW84 was.

Regardless of how shite WW1984 was, Caville, Mamoa, Galdot - those 3 alone are strong names, I think DC's main issue is they haven't found their niche yet. I think their niche lies in R Rated comic movies, rather than family-friendly ones.. their R Rated comic movies have knocked it out of the park, for the most part, look the Dark Knight movies and Joker, those absolutely killed it - more of that, please. They just aren't understanding that part though.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Regardless of how shite WW1984 was, Caville, Mamoa, Galdot - those 3 alone are strong names, I think DC's main issue is they haven't found their niche yet. I think their niche lies in R Rated comic movies, rather than family-friendly ones.. their R Rated comic movies have knocked it out of the park, for the most part, look the Dark Knight movies and Joker, those absolutely killed it - more of that, please. They just aren't understanding that part though.
DC's main issue is the material is overworked. There's been a Batman film about every 4ish years since the late 80's. It's all just so tired. It doesn't help that Warner are desperate to capture the same success the marvel films have had.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
DC's main issue is the material is overworked. There's been a Batman film about every 4ish years since the late 80's. It's all just so tired. It doesn't help that Warner are desperate to capture the same success the marvel films have had.

I don't think so. I think the main issue is family-friendly stuff is over-saturated. DC should stick to R-Rated for now.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
I don't think so. I think the main issue is family-friendly stuff is over-saturated. DC should stick to R-Rated for now.
Not gonna happen given their biggest draw was aquaman. For what it's worth I don't disagree that DC works best when dark and gritty as supposed to bright and shiny.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
I tried watching the Joker movie the other day and my god it was dull

I mean hes meant to be this mastermind loon not just a sad clown with anger issues

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I tried watching the Joker movie the other day and my god it was dull

I mean hes meant to be this mastermind loon not just a sad clown with anger issues

It's about his descent into depression and mental illness, I thought it was a fantastic film, though not in a superhero type way. A great commentary on modern life where everyone tries to hide behind a mask and not show how they are falling apart

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
It's about his descent into depression and mental illness, I thought it was a fantastic film, though not in a superhero type way. A great commentary on modern life where everyone tries to hide behind a mask and not show how they are falling apart

Yes but is that what you want from a Joker movie? It could have been about anyone, but...marketing.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Yes but is that what you want from a Joker movie? It could have been about anyone, but...marketing.
I think that's why Mr Phoenix took the role on. I very much doubt that he gives a shit about the Joker as a character but wanted to tell a mental health story that would be widely seen.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing

Why? The most successful DC movie of the last 20 years globally is Aquaman. You can definitely argue DC has concentrated on dark and gritty rather too much, especially in global terms. Marvel figured out how to make relatively minor characters fun without them having to be angst-ridden wankstains all the time, which is ironic because in the comics DC was always the brand with the lighter tone. Marvel has also shown how to do all the really comic-y stuff (e.g. aliens) really well, whereas DC fuck it up every time.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Why? The most successful DC movie of the last 20 years globally is Aquaman. You can definitely argue DC has concentrated on dark and gritty rather too much, especially in global terms. Marvel figured out how to make relatively minor characters fun without them having to be angst-ridden wankstains all the time, which is ironic because in the comics DC was always the brand with the lighter tone. Marvel has also shown how to do all the really comic-y stuff (e.g. aliens) really well, whereas DC fuck it up every time.
Agree. Even Superman looks like a dark angry mutherfucker rather than a beacon of hope and light.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom