Film The General Film Thread

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I watched it and really liked the idea, the effects were good, the acting was OK, the fight scenes were good.

It just felt a bit flat somehow, can't explain why.

Agreed. I think the theme in it that just nagged at me all the way through was the whole "we keep trying, they keep getting worse" idea, which, objectively, if you'd lived that long, would be absolute nonsense. We generally kill each other FAR less now than we've ever done in human history, even though there are lots more of us.

So I just watched it as a generic action movie and it was fine.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Anyone watched Greyhound yet?

Its no "Das Boot" but its a decent enough war movie and the action is excellent, staying just on the right side of "movie CGI"/video game. Its interesting that we've had a couple of WW2 movies this year that CGI obviously make affordable; "Midway" was also quite decent, in an old school way

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Anyone watched Greyhound yet?

Its no "Das Boot" but its a decent enough war movie and the action is excellent, staying just on the right side of "movie CGI"/video game. Its interesting that we've had a couple of WW2 movies this year that CGI obviously make affordable; "Midway" was also quite decent, in an old school way
Watched that last night, quite enjoyed it.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
So, I stuck Rambo: Last Blood on the other night because it was on Prime. Having seen it I swear the trailer is basically the whole film, done better...

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
So, I stuck Rambo: Last Blood on the other night because it was on Prime. Having seen it I swear the trailer is basically the whole film, done better...
It's fucking gash isn't it.

Watched First Blood on Saturday. It's a shame Stallone didn't carry on in that vein...

Embattle

FH is my second home
Recently watch The Mule and The Flowers of War, got another 4 to watch Darkest Hour, Le Man '66, Dunkirk and Alien nation which I saw quite a while ago.

I'll watch Last Blood without expecting much as well, might watch Midway.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
It's fucking gash isn't it.

Watched First Blood on Saturday. It's a shame Stallone didn't carry on in that vein...
I just couldn't grok how any of it made sense. Like when Expendables did the whole "don't over explain" bit, it at least flowed along. In this all those moments just ran against the grain, like when
he straight out eliminates the guy at the club but when he's on the streets instead of eliminating the first guy or two that spot him and just getting away, he keeps walking in deeper into the maze until it's between 40 & 50 to 1 and then they don't kill him because "eh, brothers disagree sometimes ya know". It's like he's only Rambo when someone flicks a switch and the rest of the time he's a middle aged dude with amnesia being helped by whatever carer is on rota that particular time
Oh and the ending
what film has the ending (him in the rocker), then has the credits that are all "weren't these other films cool" footage, then has the ending again with a different ending (him on the horse)"

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
If you're going to stick it on, can you watch it, then watch the trailer afterwards and see if you agree with me about the trailer being the better of the two?

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Recently watch The Mule and The Flowers of War, got another 4 to watch Darkest Hour, Le Man '66, Dunkirk and Alien nation which I saw quite a while ago.

The Mule - good
The Flowers of War - need to see
Darkest Hour - good
Le Man '66 - excellent I reckon
Dunkirk - good
Alien nation - need to see
Last Blood - gash
Midway - fairly good, entertaining...

EDIT:

Alien nation - seriously? I may even have seen that at the fucking cinema!!!

Embattle

FH is my second home
The Flowers of War is quite brutal, although most people would be shocked that the acts portrayed are fairly accurate in terms of Japanese atrocities. I enjoyed Alien Nation when I saw it in the early 90s, managed to get it on Blu-ray for £6 so will re-watch it.

Embattle

FH is my second home
If you're going to stick it on, can you watch it, then watch the trailer afterwards and see if you agree with me about the trailer being the better of the two?

Ironically the trailer although not in the same order of scenes as the film cuts out most of the lame attempts made by Sylvester Stallone at producing films with a rivetting story, so I wouldn't go quite to the same level as you but you don't gain much more from the film.

This isn't something new to Sylvester Stallone where he tries to add depth to films he has a hand in but in reality it doesn't help and tends to make the film worse. The initial films in the various series were a little absurd but generally the story was fairly good but with each update the absurdity level increased and the story got worse.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
The Mule - good
The Flowers of War - need to see
Darkest Hour - good
Le Man '66 - excellent I reckon
Dunkirk - good
Alien nation - need to see
Last Blood - gash
Midway - fairly good, entertaining...

EDIT:

Alien nation - seriously? I may even have seen that at the fucking cinema!!!
That the one with the milk drinking aliens?

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Spoiled milk, which is like alcohol to them.

I enjoyed Dunkirk, once you get used to its non linear story.
I agree with dunkirk took me a while to work out whats happening.

AN = a new remake or the original?

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
Just watched Green Book, amazing film.
I watched this as soon as it came out on Apple - it was / is as I have rewatched it fantasic. I think Mahershala Ali is one of the best actors of our time :).

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Watched a Korean film, The Great Battle. Loved it.

Embattle

FH is my second home
A Private War was good, although rather brutal.

Just got the anniversary edition of Close Encounters and ordered Stand By Me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom