Still brilliant 40 years on

"A naked American man stole my balloons"

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Best song in movie ever.

I feel the bad.....

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Watched 1917 at the weekend; very good; the "continuous shot" narrative is a bit of a gimmick tbh (it makes the movie feel a bit like an extended game level at times) but it keeps you gripped

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Watched 1917 at the weekend; very good; the "continuous shot" narrative is a bit of a gimmick tbh (it makes the movie feel a bit like an extended game level at times) but it keeps you gripped

I know 1 or 2 people getting motion sickness from that.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Watched the irishman yesterday. Was a good movie. I did find myself looking at the clock from time to time tho

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Well, I watched Parasite today and I thought it was great. I went in to it having nothing more than a vague idea of the premise and
I was genuinely surprised at how it lurched around, from initial light-hearted comedy about a likeable family down on their luck, it got darker and darker. As they each engineered another employee's exit and had the next family-member take their place, the family became more and more sinister, but still likeable. Onto suspense when the camping trip was cancelled, still with the little comedic moments (dad sniffing his shirt under the table while Park was talking about his smell) then just flat out horror at the party. I was not expecting that brutal finale, it completely caught me off guard. The second shot to the son's head with the scholar's rock was especially argh.

(You'd think the new owners would've just taken the bulb out of that light though, if he was really communicating that entire letter every night it must've driven them up the wall.)
I don't know about "best picture" winner but I loved it and was genuinely surprised *how much* I loved it.

gmloki

Part of the furniture
Ford vs Ferrari

Actually a bit long bit for no bad reason. Christian Bale was actually decent swinging in and out of a Brummie accent. Good yarn if you are a petrol head (not me) ok if you are not. Better films out there and a lot worse

DaGaffer

Just watched Birds of Prey. Ugh. Cheezy with a bit of light misandry. Yay...

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I watched 1917 the other day, I loved it. I went into it not knowing specifically what in 1917 it was focussing on and funnily enough I've been learning about Robert Nivelle and his offensive recently and, although it didn't come up, it's interesting to think that it was only a couple of days away. The continuous take thing was very well done, although I found myself kind of keeping track to see if it cut. It definitely helped with the immersion. The first film in a long time where I want to go back and watch it twice more so I can listen to the commentaries - one with Mendes, the other with Roger Deakins, the Director of Photography. The 12 minute "making of" extra really wasn't in depth enough.

I also just watched The Gentlemen and what can I say, it's a Guy Ritchie film. Hugh Grant and Colin Farrell were great and it was entertaining enough but Ritchie has done better.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Knives Out was excellent. (y) Daniel Craig was great (once I was used to the accent), there's already a sequel in the works.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Suspend reality and try Extraction on Netflix for pure popcorn - some fun 'long takes' :)

DaGaffer

Suspend reality and try Extraction on Netflix for pure popcorn - some fun 'long takes' :)

Enjoyed that. No amount of soft filters stops Bangladesh looking like a total shithole though does it?

NB.

Was the out of focus figure by the edge of the swimming pool at the end Hemsworth?

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Enjoyed that. No amount of soft filters stops Bangladesh looking like a total shithole though does it?

NB.

Was the out of focus figure by the edge of the swimming pool at the end Hemsworth?

That was my take on it, yes.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
That was my take on it, yes.
Yeah me too. Which was teh poop.

Rest of it was fine. Enjoyable pap - apart from:
If you're sat at the bottom of a lake or swimming pool you have to be holding on to something (or full exhale, which is NOT relaxing) or you'll float up! FFS! :eek:

Apart from that, good :)

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Yeah me too. Which was teh poop.

Rest of it was fine. Enjoyable pap - apart from:
If you're sat at the bottom of a lake or swimming pool you have to be holding on to something (or full exhale, which is NOT relaxing) or you'll float up! FFS! :eek:

Apart from that, good :)

I liked it, mindless action in an environment not often showcased in film.

As for sitting at the bottom of the pool, it's not like you rocket to the surface the minute you get down there. You'll float up eventually, but that could take 10-15 minutes. Most people run out of breath before that point.

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
The Gentlemen was also amusing

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I watched it and really liked the idea, the effects were good, the acting was OK, the fight scenes were good.

It just felt a bit flat somehow, can't explain why.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom