Film The General Film Thread

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
It looks visually stunning, but the everything else is total bullshit.

Im hearing that
a lot of the humour breaks the 4th wall...wtf!
It looks like its a nostalgia blast from reading the huge reddit thread, most people are saying ignore the story and ride the fun.

Last edited:

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Well, I thought Joker was great. Take out a couple of references (basically Gotham, Arkham and the Wayne family) and it would still stand up on its own as a (very dark) story about the guy's mental deterioration.

gmloki

Part of the furniture
Joker was very good imho. Well made. Will there be a follow up ?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Joker was very good imho. Well made. Will there be a follow up ?
Didn't actually need to be a film about the joker tbh. That stuff felt shoehorned in.

But yeah - it'd be an interesting thing going forward.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
They're in talks about a sequel I think. It did feel a bit like name dropping with the Wayne stuff especially. I always imagined that Bruce Wayne and the Joker were about the same age but there's a good 30 years between them here. It felt unnecessary.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Well, I thought Joker was great. Take out a couple of references (basically Gotham, Arkham and the Wayne family) and it would still stand up on its own as a (very dark) story about the guy's mental deterioration.

I thought it was alright.
Quite a few very tedious parts to it. They could have achieved the same story by shaving off about 30 mins run time I reckon.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Watched Wurzel Gummidge.
Pretty good, spot on scarecrow costumes and quite cinematic and atmospheric at times.

Then if course...two mixed race kids in the top roles ..yeah..yeah..diversity qoutas.
The end monologue by wurzel...jesus christ, climate change..plastics...kids are the future.
FFS BBC, stop agenda lecturing us.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Okay boomer.

What kind of sad person watches cbbc films anyway?

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Okay boomer.
When did everyone get so into Left 4 Dead?

gmloki

Part of the furniture
Watched The Report the other night. Not a bad film at all. It's about a report commissioned by a congress select committee on the interrogation techniques used by the US after 9/11. Decent story, although the script was a bit hammy at times.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Death of Stalin is on Netflix.

If you haven't seen it yet, you must.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Death of Stalin is on Netflix.

If you haven't seen it yet, you must.
Thought it was really interesting but it wasn't a good "comedy" - because it's horrific and humourous at the same time.

Worth a watch tho.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Sooo, movie of the year then?

Top 5:

Avengers Endgame - Totally satisfying conclusion to the current MCU arc, unlike Star Wars, which had to be hacked to bits to even slightly work.

Rocketman - I'm not actually an Elton John fan but this was really enjoyable

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood - I've watched it a couple of times now and I really like it; best thing Brad Pitt has done in years.

John Wick Parabellum - Guilty pleasure.

The Irishman - Its too long and the effects only work half the time but its still pretty remarkable filmmaking.

Bottom 5:

MIB: International - utter crap which is a shame given how much I like the actors in it.

Rambo Last Blood - oh dear. Creed might have given Rocky a breath of fresh air but this is one of the worst things I've seen in years.

X-Men: Dark Phoenix -everyone phoning it in because they knew Disney was coming over the hill. Should have finished with Logan and left it at that.

Hellboy - I loved the original Hellboy films and wanted Ron Perlman to do another. I like David Harbour as an actor, but this is absolute trash.

Biggest Disappointment: Ad Astra. Dull as ditchwater and full of shonky "science" (despite repeated claims to the contrary). Special mentions for Glass (although I should have known better), and Toy Story 4; once again Hollywood, you did a perfect ending with the third one, nobody needed this.

Most Overrated: Joker. Genuinely can't see what all the fuss is about. I was bored/irritated through most of it, the woke subtext (particularly the slant on Thomas Wayne) was tiresome and do we really need yet another fucking Batman origin?

Better than I expected: Alita: Battle Angel. Its a shame that the Disney Fox takeover means this won't get a sequel because I thought it was pretty much the first live action Manga ever that was actually good.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Dont worry..they have it covered.
Fans have speculated that the only existing character who fits the bill exists in the Thor universe: Sera, who descends from a group of all-male angels but who has transitioned to a female identity.
So, pre-existing character gets to be in a film.

You really should stop reading the guardian. It's like it's designed to get your heckles up :)

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
@DaGaffer Regarding Last Blood. Pretty horrible, but the ending has the good old Rambo feel to it. Made me want to watch Rambo 1 instead

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Sooo, movie of the year then?
I'd have to say Endgame too. But that's kind of a damning indictment of Hollywood - it's just colouful, more violent (and funnier) Harry Potter really.

Judging by what I've downloaded (filtering on 2019) - there's pretty much sod all.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I'd have to say Endgame too. But that's kind of a damning indictment of Hollywood - it's just colouful, more violent (and funnier) Harry Potter really.

Judging by what I've downloaded (filtering on 2019) - there's pretty much sod all.

Actually I'd have to amend my top 5 since I wrote it; Le Mans 66 goes straight to the top of the list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom