The future of moomin

moomin

Fledgling Freddie
Why technical thread?!??! Well i'm a CS student last year of degree and gonna ahve to get a job, considering how every1 here is more likely to be in a technology related job I need your advice.

I realisitcally want to break into the games industry, and as such want to know whether to apply now with no demos now, or wait until near end of degree with my 3rd year project.

More importantly though is the actually getting into teh business, knowing some1 there is helpful but unfortunately I don't really know any1.

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi moomin

I won't pretend to know about this specifically, but as a rule of thumb it's better to have some sort of experience or portfolio which you can show people when applying for a position. That said, the games industry is fairly unique in many ways, so perhaps some companies would look upon you favourably if you just contacted them explaining your situation and your enthusiasm for the area and see what they say.

Quite a few developers have written blogs or proper articles on how to break into the games industry (admittedly many may be US-centred), so you may want to search Google for them.

Kind Regards

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
A demo will help, particularly if it's something that looks good (rather than some dry CS coursework stuff). You can try just sending out your CV, but games companies tend to receive a lot of applications and the market is fairly saturated currently; 23 UK games companies went bust last year - lot of experienced devs kicking about. Generally it's quite a tough industry to break into, a lot go via test, but that's boring and low paid so you might not want to do that. It is a good way to get your foot in the door though as the technical qualifications required are pretty minimal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom