Formula 1 The F1 jibber jabber thread.

Tay

Grumpy old fecker

I hope he does, I've had £50 on him going to Ferrari in 2022 for a few years now, but it all depends on the engine situation. There is few if any F1 drivers that don't want to race for that marque. Then he'll retire. Lewis seems able to choose the right team at the right time. He could have quite easily had 8WC's if his first coupla years at McLaren were different.

I hope this year we have more rain and less merc dominance, this year more than the last few has that chance..

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
He won't go to a lower team to help them develop just yet and most seem to have some serious problems.

I know merc isn't just about the car, the whole team are important, including the drivers, I think he will leave at the end of the 2022 season and go to a nearly there team.

Tay

Grumpy old fecker
He won't go to a lower team to help them develop just yet and most seem to have some serious problems.

I know merc isn't just about the car, the whole team are important, including the drivers, I think he will leave at the end of the 2022 season and go to a nearly there team.

Agree and for Ferrari thats about their development cycle and the engine. Ferrari shows some raw ace (although I suspect they have 'bent' the rules a bit in 2020) but they are closer.

Next year could be interesting. Salary caps could also have a bearing and Lewis despite the people he upsets and what others think of him does provide a superb platform for companies like Mercedes to be seen to be on board with BLM and discrimination. Lewis brings that to companies that want to be seen to be socially aware.

I think Lewis is only signed to the end of '21 isnt he? so can see a year, 'maybe' two in Ferrari

He wants to win and he wont be an also ran for any team as you say.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Agree and for Ferrari thats about their development cycle and the engine. Ferrari shows some raw ace (although I suspect they have 'bent' the rules a bit in 2020) but they are closer.

Next year could be interesting. Salary caps could also have a bearing and Lewis despite the people he upsets and what others think of him does provide a superb platform for companies like Mercedes to be seen to be on board with BLM and discrimination. Lewis brings that to companies that want to be seen to be socially aware.

I think Lewis is only signed to the end of '21 isnt he? so can see a year, 'maybe' two in Ferrari

He wants to win and he wont be an also ran for any team as you say.

Hamilton will retire at the end of the season.

He made a bet a decade ago that Merc would be the team to capitalise on the hybrid engine formula (people seriously questioned his decision to leave McLaren at the time) and it came good. He simply doesn't need to make that bet again. Merc will almost certainly walk it again this year (because everyone else will be doing minimal investment in an end-of-life formula as they prep for 2022) and he'll probably get either/both of 8 titles and100+ wins. Going to another team after that has little upside and potentially a whole load of downsides for him.He literally has nothing left to prove in F1 even now. He clearly has started to broaden his interests away from F1, and as soon as a one year deal was announced with Merc it all became clear.

Tay

Grumpy old fecker
Hamilton will retire at the end of the season.

He made a bet a decade ago that Merc would be the team to capitalise on the hybrid engine formula (people seriously questioned his decision to leave McLaren at the time) and it came good. He simply doesn't need to make that bet again. Merc will almost certainly walk it again this year (because everyone else will be doing minimal investment in an end-of-life formula as they prep for 2022) and he'll probably get either/both of 8 titles and100+ wins. Going to another team after that has little upside and potentially a whole load of downsides for him.He literally has nothing left to prove in F1 even now. He clearly has started to broaden his interests away from F1, and as soon as a one year deal was announced with Merc it all became clear.

yeah, you could be right.. Im not sure what else he has to prove if anything, 8 does make his record pretty much unassailable.

I'm not surprised by his decision to go leave McLaren, things were starting to hot up there with Whitmarsh, Dennis and the middle east investors and a dodgy contract he got roped into signing not to mention the team blamed his 'style' of racing for the lack of podiums. Must have started to get a bit toxic at times.

He knew he had the measure of Rosberg from his karting days so Merc was the safe bet after Niki lured him to the german outfit.

I still think that all drivers want to have a go in the Ferrari at some point, but I doubt Lewis would be a good fit there and maybe that means he leaves after going for the 8wc's.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
It wouldn't surprise me if he had some sort of involvement with formula E after F1

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
It wouldn't surprise me if he had some sort of involvement with formula E after F1

I would imagine in the next big formula change after 2022, F1 will effectively become Formula E. It wouldn't be the first time (F1 basically nicked F2 regs a couple of times in the past); they're probably just holding out for some long range battery solutions to pop up. I don't see how F1 survives otherwise unless they go with something exotic like hydrogen fuel cells (there are 3-4 car companies that have sunk a lot of money into the tech, including Merc, BMW and Toyota, maybe F1 would be a good canvas to promote it)

Tay

Grumpy old fecker
I see Nando is going to miss the Renault launch.

Not had an F1 drive for a while and already rocking the boat...could be a fun season..

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I see Nando is going to miss the Renault launch.

Not had an F1 drive for a while and already rocking the boat...could be a fun season..

Not seen that - Got a link old chap?

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Not seen that - Got a link old chap?

They make it sound a bit COVIDey but if that was the case he could still appear virtually. The general thought is that he's either missing his front teeth until he gets the reconstructive work done or his mouth is wired shut.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
He can't whine like a rusty bandsaw if his mouth is wired shut.

Tay

Grumpy old fecker
He needs a few bad races before he blames everything / everyone else though

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Yeah - I think it's a fair point if he is still recovering, actually...

Embattle

FH is my second home
Yes he is a whinny bitch, which F1 driver isn't, but I don't blame him considering his recent accident for missing any early duties so soon afterwards.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I didn't realise we were getting Aston Martin safety/medical cars.

qpnpq4pir7l61.png

Tay

Grumpy old fecker
Ohhhh nooooeeeeees Murray Walker has died :(

A true legend of commentary in F1, I like Brundle but he's no match for some of the drivel Murray came out with..

Tay

Grumpy old fecker
I didn't realise we were getting Aston Martin safety/medical cars.

qpnpq4pir7l61.png

Looks like Mercs exclusivity has gone then :)

Although, not sure when they'll be used, they seem a bit stealthy compared to the Mercs which are still there..

Attachments

• Saved Image 2021-03-13 at 6.44.55 pm.png
    Saved Image 2021-03-13 at 6.44.55 pm.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 2

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber

A true legend of commentary in F1, I like Brundle but he's no match for some of the drivel Murray came out with..

He was in the same unit as my Grandad, messing about with tanks, my grandad missed WW2 by weeks.

Tay

Grumpy old fecker
Jensen was always pretty grounded iirc.

Jenson was a real gent..

I've met him a few times and with Jackie Stewart a couple too, both from the same mould I think..

Met Johnny Herbert a few times too, really nice guy but jezz couldnt get him to shut up :) David Croft = dick imho.

I recall seeing Lewis race at a charity karting event waaaay back in early 200?'s, he was a pretentious little turd back then, but shit he was fast (Ron had taken him under McLarens wing by then) ..my bro-in-law still hates him from shunting him off the circuit and breaking a rib, we never saw it though...sour grapes :)

Coulthard was an upcoming nob, Steve Parish was hilarious and an all around nice guy...oh the memories :)

Embattle

FH is my second home

Shame really, I know he made mistakes but he was the best.

Tay

Grumpy old fecker
Some interesting results of the few days of testing.

Not much to be had from it other than how the newer (back to F1 or other teams) have faired. You never know how much fuel was on board thus little to extrude from it.

But it certainly looks like we might have a closer competition than the last few years, but you can never rule out Mercedes, they always come out fighting when it counts.

Not long to wait now, just feels wierd not having the Aussie GP, maybe later in the year it'll happen.

Tay

Grumpy old fecker
So, a few days to go....who is going to be in the top 10 consistently?

In no particular order:
1. Mercedes
2. RedBull
3. McLaren
4. AlphaTauri
5. Ferrari

I'd love to see Williams up there but just cant see it happening right now, Alfa nope, Haas, I'll be surprised if they are in it for more than a coupla years, Aston Martin and Alpine are the dark horses, the question is, who do they push out of that top 5 ?

Tay

Grumpy old fecker
Bernie is a tosser, however, sometimes, just once in a while, he speaks some sense, odd that we've not heard from him for a while but seems he is doing interviews again, perhaps looking to sneakily take over F1 again ^^

Embattle

FH is my second home
The sports and politics should not mix argument is used most often by those living off the tit of repressive regimes, this is made even worse by the fact many of the people in this sports at times tend to push equality and other human rights while going to countries with some of the worst.

Tay

Grumpy old fecker
The sports and politics should not mix argument is used most often by those living off the tit of repressive regimes, this is made even worse by the fact many of the people in this sports at times tend to push equality and other human rights while going to countries with some of the worst.

I agree with the mixing politics and sport issues, although, few people other than 7 times WC Lewis would have got away with it. He has jumped on a few issues, whilst tax dodging, significant contributions to global warming and the list goes on.

I firmly believe in equality of opportunity NOT outcome, to do so would simply be ticking boxes like the Govt and Police have done for the last few years, luckily I've always recruited people based on skills and being a good fit for the teams I ran.

F1 still has huge audiences, so when people use it as a media platform for their own causes political or otherwise its hard to put them back in the box again, mercs fuelled Lewis in that respect and they can stick him back in the box. I wonder if the Mercs can ever go back to being the Silver Arrows Mercs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom