Games The Elder Scrolls MMO

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
Yeah not sure about this. Think its the game no-one was asking for. The great thing about the ES Series is that its your story. A MMO would not be able to match that and will end up like an arena combat fetch quest MMO. There are plenty of those about, don't see how it could bring anything new to the genre.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Yeah because WoW has SUCH a fucking great story huh
Well, it does have quite a big story actually with plenty of books set in the WoW universe, tons and tons of lore.

It's all dogshit ofc but it is a big story line.

A tad more than DAOC, which had virtually no story whatsoever...except for a few epic quests there was nothing really, all the lore could be put on a couple of sides of A4.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Depends ont aste really, WoW to me had some interesting storylines. Main storylines, not so much, but still it had plenty.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Well, it does have quite a big story actually with plenty of books set in the WoW universe, tons and tons of lore.

It's all dogshit ofc but it is a big story line.

A tad more than DAOC, which had virtually no story whatsoever...except for a few epic quests there was nothing really, all the lore could be put on a couple of sides of A4.

I dunno, except for race specific lvl 1 - 20 zones i wouldn't call them big storylines myself. You get some references and reminders once in a while but not many of the quests you do in a zone are connected to anything other then very loosely and fuzzy. And certainly isn't connected to story's in previous zones you have done, or even will go to later bar "go there, they need help" followed by "thank's for coming, i need 10 sacs of monkey balls"... You're never really getting the feeling that you're always moving towards the same goal.

At best it's tons and tons of "mini arcs" from individual NPC's that doesn't pay any regards to other quest giving NPC's.. Not even a "hey, since you're going to that area anyway, why not do this for me while you're there?"

Sure, WoW has tons of lore, but even that isn't really trustworthy because Blizzard change some of it with every expansion or sometimes even content updates, and much of it isn't even logical. Like the battle for undercity in WOTLK, you can't do the full arc of that any more after cataclysm released because Blizzard messed around with the lore. That story just stops after the dragons clean out the rogue undead at the wrathgate.... So those that didn't do the full story in LK will only have a vague clue why there are kor'kron guarding UC.. Or why the hell Thrall abdicated to give place for an inbred lunatic....

So why not just keep all the old stuff and then depending on what expansion you are playing, change the lore with it? Like keep Thrall as the leader all the way through to Cataclysm and THEN change the leader to hellscream once you start questing in cataclysm, and have a quest arc explaining why... All they need to do is phase the "throne room" and a few other places and not much else.

Or is that asking to much?

ambera

Loyal Freddie
I'm not connecting 'MF likes stories' with 'MF likes WoW', I'm just putting these forward as 2 reasons I don't think he'll be making the kind of MMO I want to play.

I love stories, I love a rich IP, and I'm a huge TES fan (well, a huge Morrowind+200 mods fan at least), but MMOs are not ideal environments for storytelling, so concentrating on this and referring to people who care about mechanics as people who don't understand fun, well. I think he fails to realise that without good game mechanics no amount of story will keep your dedicated gamers logging in.

svartalf

Can't get enough of FH
massively.com said:
Elder Scrolls Online devs talk questing and public dungeons
by Jef Reahard on May 30th 2012 9:30AMFantasy, Game mechanics, MMO industry, New titles, News items, The Elder Scrolls Online0

There are a couple of new Elder Scrolls Online features on tap at Edge. First on the agenda is a piece about the game's public dungeons, which game director Matt Firor says haven't been seen in an MMO since EverQuest. "When you think back to the fun MMOG moments in the first generation, it's standing there, terrified, in an enclosed space, waiting for someone to come along and save you. We can't do that punitive gameplay that they did in those days, but we can put people together in places where they want to work with others," Firor says.

The other feature centers on the game's questing mechanics, and it finds Firor and creative director Paul Sage talking at length about what makes a good quest as well as various high-level creative approaches taken by the dev team.

Tags: bethesda, bethesda-softworks, bethsoft, daggerfall, elder-scrolls, elder-scrolls-online, factions, matt-firor, morrowind, oblivion, paul-sage, please-dont-suck, public-dungeons, pvp, quests, rvr, sandbox, skyrim, tamriel, tes, teso, the-elder-scrolls, the-elder-scrolls-online, three-faction-pvp, three-way-pvp, zenimax, zenimax-media, zenimax-online, zenimax-online-studios

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Not seen public dungeons since Everquest? So did I imagine them in DAOC then?

svartalf

Can't get enough of FH
Not seen public dungeons since Everquest? So did I imagine them in DAOC then?
Well, it is TEN whole years since he wrote this: http://www.servantsofmystery.com/fathermatt/darkness_falls.htm
1.49 Goes Live
from Matt Firor
2002-04-09 08:57:45
update_image_patch.jpg

DARKNESS FALLS

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Clearly forgetting his arse aswell because i'm sure theres a lot of Mythic still in that dungeon.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
It does, and it was an utter nightmare at the start because high levels would sit at low level bosses and farm them for gear without paying any respect to the people that needed them for quests. So FunCom made all dungeon/instance bosses unsoloable regardless of the level difference. Was pretty hilarious to see a level 70+ get smacked about by a level 40 dungeon boss... :)

svartalf

Can't get enough of FH
Stuff
massively.com said:
E3 2012: Talking with Nick Konkle about The Elder Scrolls Online's design
by Justin Olivetti on Jun 6th 2012 3:00PMBetas, Fantasy, Video, Interviews, Massively Event Coverage, The Elder Scrolls Online0

Our fellow feathered friends at Joystiq visited the Elder Scrolls Online booth at this week's E3 and caught up with Lead Gameplay Designer Nick Konkle about the game's look and feel. Konkle made the point that each of the Elder Scrolls game had its own aesthetic, and TESO will carry on in this tradition: "Every province has its own look, but we aim for the realistic -- for the cool."

Konkle dives into what will make TESO its own unique creature. One of the mechanics he explained was the game's hotbar. The first two buttons are dedicated to whatever weapon you're wielding, the next three are chosen abilities from your class, and the last button is an ultimate skill derived from your class. "In addition to those six things, everyone has these skills that are always available: sprinting, ducking, and blocking," he said.

What is ZeniMax doing to ease those familiar with the lore but not MMOs into the game? "From the very beginning, we didn't set out to make a really big, standard MMO," Konkle said. "Nor did we set out to make a Skyrim clone and just put it online. We set out to make a great game. So we don't just have the standard MMO controls, abilities, and rotations like you're used to."

You can watch the 11-minute interview after the jump for more information on TESO's combat and social systems.
[edit: Here it is:]
http://www.viddler.com/embed/e9111f64/?f=1&offset=0&autoplay=0&secret=63045343&disablebranding=0

e3logo.jpg
Massively's on the ground in Los Angeles during the week of June 4-7, bringing you all the best news from E3 2012. We're covering everything from PlanetSide 2 and SWTOR and ArcheAge to RIFT's and LotRO's upcoming expansions, so stay tuned!

Tags: bethesda, bethesda-softworks, bethsoft, con, convention, convention-coverage, daggerfall, e3, e3-2012, elder-scrolls, elder-scrolls-online, electronic-entertainment-expo, expo, factions, interview, joystiq, morrowind, Nick-Konkle, oblivion, please-dont-suck, pvp, rvr, sandbox, skyrim, tamriel, tes, teso, the-elder-scrolls, the-elder-scrolls-online, three-faction-pvp, three-way-pvp, video, zenimax, zenimax-media, zenimax-online, zenimax-online-studios

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
"One of the mechanics he explained was the game's hotbar. The first two buttons are dedicated to whatever weapon you're wielding, the next three are chosen abilities from your class, and the last button is an ultimate skill derived from your class."

That just put me right off it. Gives you an idea of what other shit they'll likely do thats typical to mmo's aswell.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
inb4 they announce "Keep taking system never seen before in an MMO" lol.

svartalf

Can't get enough of FH
inb4 they announce "Keep taking system never seen before in an MMO" lol.

Did you watch the video? He even claims more players in one place at a time in a MMO being 200. Hmm... 10 years ago DAoC had more, I think.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
from everything we've seen so far I think this will honestly flop hard.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Did you watch the video? He even claims more players in one place at a time in a MMO being 200. Hmm... 10 years ago DAoC had more, I think.

It did, far more. Then the server would crash :p

I remember seeing massive numbers attacking a keep in the early weeks of new frontiers. One battle at a keep on Excalibur lasted a whole weekend, 3 sides fighting it out. Made tons of RPs on alts using siege weapons on bridges, hitting 10-20 people a time with them.

WoW also has 200 people in one area sometimes, in the capital cities I reckon it hits that most evenings.

Reno

One of Freddy's beloved
I remember guard spam approaching 300 in the first few weeks of NF.
Including Hib defenders that must have made 450-500 ppl at/near a keep.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Oh god yes. On prydwen back in ye olde days we had over 600 people fighting at one of the mid relic keeps. Even crashed the server because of it on numerous occasions...

Fefner

Can't get enough of FH
Oh god yes. On prydwen back in ye olde days we had over 600 people fighting at one of the mid relic keeps. Even crashed the server because of it on numerous occasions...
Good old days! I've seen over 200 players in one area on many occasions but yes those old relic days were manic.

Coldbeard

Part of the furniture
Remember when servers like prydwen and excalibur went down and people just swapped to the german ones or whatever servers that would still be up and crashed those too :D

Everz

FH is my second home
Remember when servers like prydwen and excalibur went down and people just swapped to the german ones or whatever servers that would still be up and crashed those too :D
Lurikeen Invasion!

Everz

FH is my second home
Animist army on the French server was fun also.

Shroomed up all over.. all hell broke loose.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
If they can pull off the roaming/questing/character build freedom of elder scrolls, i might actually get this.

Controls don't bother me, real time or hotkey, that muchy, even if i am a bit bored of it.

pikeh

Resident Freddy
looks just like generic mmo shit tbh. an mmo just like TES is impossible to make.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom