The Bible Code

C

Ch3tan

Just started reading this book today.

Non-fiction, very intresting book. Its a report into the discovery of a code in the original hewbrew text of the old testament. A code that contains important events from all time, but is so complex that it could only be decoded with the help of computers.

The basic concept is that no human could have made this code, so who did?

Very very compelling reading and I have only just finished the first chapter.

D

dysfunction

You can make up anything when you have nothing to disprove it

T

Trebz

I like the way it deciphers the events after they've happened, very clever that... ok, we'll take an O here, an S there.. lets have that A.....move to the right a bit, oo we have an M, look look, we've almost cracked it! Down 2.... A!!! OSAMA, OMG!

S

Scooba Da Bass

I didn't really understand that. I could see what they were doing, but I didn't see the relavence that randomly picking letters and assigning numbers to the jumps you made shows any sort of proof, unless I REALLY missed the point?

SOMEONE EXPLAIN PLEASE

S

stu

It's a bit like Nostradamus. It's fairly easy to warp a text and cherry-pick to "predict" events after they've happened - especially when that text was written thousands of years ago in a language no-one even speaks properly. Hell, the gospel had already been through 2 translations and 20 years of word-of-mouth before it was even written down the first time. Just a pile of shite really.

O

old.Fweddy

Originally posted by Ch3tan
a report into the discovery of a code in the original hewbrew text of the old testament.

Someone's been watching Pi too much...

C

Ch3tan

I love Pi :)

I have been reading Wij's links, and they do make the book look fairly stupid. But some flaws are apparent when readng it anyway.

Its still a good read, and it was fairly intresting reading that link Wij gave and searching round the net for arguments for and against it.

L

leggy

It's a waste of everyones time... you may aswell read Erik von Daniken.

L

Lester

I have no idea what you are all talking about. I am posting here because nothing has been posted here in 3 days.

Use it or lose it!!11

D

dysfunction

Thats a well thought out and contructive argument.

L

Lester

Well they should be reduced to papier mache and we can make models of trees with them!

X

xane

Having worked with computers for nearly 20 years I can openly agree that the more crap you have the more likely strange things appear, we call it "stress testing".

I read a book that speculated about the original Hebrew scriptures. As you may or may not know, the current translations of the Bible are from Latin, which were translated from Greek.

In the Greek translation the word used for "virgin" is also used for "young woman", so it has been speculated that the original Hebrew may have said "Jesus was born of a young women" or to that effect.

Think of the consequences on the worldwide church with millions of devotes built on the concept of "virgin birth". Is it any wonder the Dead Sea Scrolls have remained under wraps since their discovery ?

/me puts on tin foil hat.

A

Ash!

I thought the Latin Version was translated from Aramaic?

L

Lester

The original title for the bible was "Sqaxx Dex Thargo" iirc.

X

xane

Originally posted by widow-maker

There is little evidence for any old testament writings in Aramaic, it was largely a spoken language at the time, most of the oral traditions were recorded in Greek anyway.

Certainly the new testament would have been Greek.

X

xane

Originally posted by Lester
The original title for the bible was "Sqaxx Dex Thargo" iirc.

Only if you have every copy from issue one IIRC.

D

dysfunction

The bible is just a whole lot of stories about events that happened but were often written using metaphors and exageration.

People say Jesus "walked on water" This is apparantly a metaphor for the fact that he walked along a jetty over water.

And now people think a miracle occured all those many years ago.

They same for people who were considered dead (were actually just cast out of society and thus deemed to be "dead") and then brought back to life (Accepted back into the community).

X

xane

Originally posted by dysfunction
People say Jesus "walked on water" This is apparantly a metaphor for the fact that he walked along a jetty over water.

You don't think it was a jetski then ?

W

Wij

Originally posted by widow-maker

You'd be thinking of the New Testament surely ?

S

Sar

Jesus is a myth, based on a yet older myth - Dionysus.

ADMIN!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom