The Best Linux

T

Testin da Cable

I happen to have a gf2-gts atm and it runs sweet.

W

whipped

Suse 7.3 is what I use. In fact, I'm using it to type this as I speak, um ... type.

Decided to abilterate windows completely from my work machine and go Suse all the way. The autoupdater is nice and hardware autodection works a dream.

I also dual boot it at home for web devopment and programming work. Never had any problems.

4:44pm up 14 days, 5:24, 2 users, load average: 0.04, 0.09, 0.14

S

sno

Originally posted by whipped
Suse 7.3 is what I use. In fact, I'm using it to type this as I speak, um ... type.

Decided to abilterate windows completely from my work machine and go Suse all the way. The autoupdater is nice and hardware autodection works a dream.

I also dual boot it at home for web devopment and programming work. Never had any problems.

4:44pm up 14 days, 5:24, 2 users, load average: 0.04, 0.09, 0.14

very nice, but aint suse goin the route that microsoft have ? this is off the top of my head so prolly totally wrong, but afaik u have to pay for the full version of suse, it comes with full versions of opera/apache/realplayer 2,

as i say im prolly wrong :(

S

ShockingAlberto

I've been using RedHat for ages now... Since Novermber or soemthing. However i am considering switching to Debian. I plan to reinstall anyway, to do a good partitioning scheme, and it makes sense to switch to Debian, consideirng i originally chose RedHat beause it was emant to be fairly easy to get to use(which it was, increadably easy to install and get using).

I'm currently doing WM experiments, to determine what WM i'll use when i switch distro/reinstall. Been using AfterStep for the past month or so, however i'm now gonna give Enlightenment a try for a few days, then WindowMaker, then Blackbox. I might try a few others as well, but they're the ones i've allready downloaded and built.

S

sno

Originally posted by ShockingAlberto
I've been using RedHat for ages now... Since Novermber or soemthing. However i am considering switching to Debian. I plan to reinstall anyway, to do a good partitioning scheme, and it makes sense to switch to Debian, consideirng i originally chose RedHat beause it was emant to be fairly easy to get to use(which it was, increadably easy to install and get using).

I'm currently doing WM experiments, to determine what WM i'll use when i switch distro/reinstall. Been using AfterStep for the past month or so, however i'm now gonna give Enlightenment a try for a few days, then WindowMaker, then Blackbox. I might try a few others as well, but they're the ones i've allready downloaded and built.

i actually have wondered this myself, "which one is best", in the end i just stuck to kde2, latest gnome was buggy for me, kept knocking me back to console, tried the others u mentioned but kde is fine for me

B

bids

Glad it's not just me - I like Gnome, but the recent release seems buggy as f**k. Gone back to KDE 2.0 on Mandrake 8.

Any of you lot know anything about Nessus ?
Been using it for a few weeks now but have a problem with updating the libraries - they seem to install ok, but are not loaded into the add-in modules on the client side.

S

sno

Originally posted by bids
Glad it's not just me - I like Gnome, but the recent release seems buggy as f**k. Gone back to KDE 2.0 on Mandrake 8.

Any of you lot know anything about Nessus ?
Been using it for a few weeks now but have a problem with updating the libraries - they seem to install ok, but are not loaded into the add-in modules on the client side.

first i heard of it, looks intresting thou :)

S

ShockingAlberto

I don't really like KDE. It tries to look like a conventional(windows) desktop, but in doing so it loses all functionality. You end up with a very bloated Wm, with a load of programs that you'll never use because they're shit. I also don't like the KDE/QT *look*. Alot of the Gnome apps use Gtk, and generally look nice. Plus Gnome is more a collection of GNU programs, than a `suite' of programs that bear the Gnome name.

I don't like the GUI configuration as well - The configuration files for AfterStep are one of the reasons why i like it. I'm getting frustrated with Enlightenment a bit, as i had to build all the applets for it at the same time, and install them, and it expetcs me to start them using a menu... Why can't it just let me build the ones i want, then try them one at a time :( However saying that, the Enlightenment menu, and the configuration for it is considerably nicer than the AfterStep menu. I actually tried Enlightenment when i frist switched to AfterStep, but i'd allready been using AfterStep, so i didn't give Enlightenment a fair chance(like configuraing it for a start). WindowMaker doesn't look paticurly appealing, so i may end up sticking with AfterStep...

S

ShockingAlberto

Aye, i'm giving it a try now. I gave up on Enlightenment shortly after i typed that, switched to WindowMaker and again decided it was all wrong, so switched to BlackBox. The `slit' holds all my WM applets nicely, and the menu is nice, and configuration is logical, plus the title bars are are nice and intuitive :)

I was also impressed with the CPu usage - I had to frantically move my mouse to get any colour the graph, so i switched to the `doom face' cpu applet, since no cpu figures were going to serve a huge purpose anyway :)

P

Predator3

I use suse 73 as a virtual machine in vmware (xp) because i have had problems with dual boot suselinux/winxp.

When i was using win2kpro i didnt have problems with redhat distribution and dual boot.

The red hat linux install went easier for me (automatic) whilst suse had to be installed manually because of my hardware :(

P

Predator3

i think you only need the install cd (cd 1) but im not sure

T

Testin da Cable

just the bottom two SK. SRPMs are the same as RPMs but contain only source code that has to be compiled. iirc the rpm app can do this with a special flag set

T

Testin da Cable

you'll need 2 as well. the install switches to it about 3/4 through

S

]SK[

6hrs to get both then. :(
Looks like it will be be next weekend untill I have a play now.

S

ShockingAlberto

I downloaded both RedHat CDs on a 56k :D :clap:

S

]SK[

Right installing now on one of works PC's :)

I didnt realise how easy the setup was. Other Linux system seemed a pain in the ass last time I tried.

S

]SK[

Just looked at that said 4 isos so I couldnt be arsed.

F

FUCKINGLAMENESS

You don't have to download all four CDs. In fact, you don't need to download any.

All you need is two floppy disks, a reasonably quick connection to the Internet, and these instructions.

O

old.blackcow

and im off...

Ahh, the popular "My OS is better than your OS" bs.

This argument has been around ever since linux/unix started to make into the spotlight about 3-4 years ago, the thing that saddens me most is that most people think it's a 'hackers' OS,
'hackers' being the power hungary scum roaming the internet, boasting thier handles of ascii and numbers because it looks better than english :-\ Even the media says so, and we all believe the media right ?

Don't get me wrong, i'm not having a go at people who do actually care about the internet, security and computers etc. I'm having a go at 14 year old ( and quite often ALOT older ) script kiddies who use 'their' tools such as subseven, smurf, mIRC scripts or any other abuse tool they can get their dirty mitts on, which of course, are usually written by someone else.

I've kind of diverted away from the thread's original topic, much like other people here :)

I started off on Mandrake, mainly because of it's rather easy, and quickly progressing, interface. If you ask me, it helped alot in getting ready for the good stuff.

By good stuff I mean actually controlling & maintaining your computer, in everyway you can possibly imagine. Thats all it takes in my opinion, a little bit of imagination.

Anyway, if you are already comfortable with *nix, then i'd happly suggest giving FreeBSD a good seeing to. It's darn scary and strange at first, but once you understand the differences ( i still dont ) and have some patience, you'll hopefully notice that it's a very friendly OS.

One of the best things I found about freebsd when i first installed it, was that it didnt insist on installing 'things you may want now, or in the future'. Because of this, you can safely choose what services and software you want available on your holy boxen.

The freebsd handbook seemed to make alot more sense to me than any other OS docs, even included are occasional 'I dont care, just show me how to get the damn thing running now' titbit :)

I'm rambling, im off

btw, i have only been using unix/linux for 3-4 years. I've probably got a few things wrong. And opinions will differ, im just trying to help :)

O

old.eaglestar

In case you like FreeBSD, you might want to give OpenBSD a try (check their security info)...

Mooooo....

I case you are wondering what URL it's located, try this.

S

(Shovel)

Interesting reading.

I'm going to be running Linux on my University box next year - alongside XP - but as usually I'm unsure where to go.

I'd rather not sell to AOL with RedHat and it has to be said, being stuck at home with a 56k modem makes downloading ISOs a laughable idea ("ha" "ha" "ha") so I am seriously wondering about paying for SuSE. The idea of getting it all on CD (all 7 of them) and not having to mess about before I go away seems, well, sensible - seeing as I've only played with linux once, and never could get KDE to boot.

The only problem is that SuSE pro is retailing at £60, which for open source software seems, well, steep.

Any advice?

B

bids

Shov - I have Mandrake 8.1 on CD (2 disks with multiple applications on - piss easy to install too). I'd be happy to burn a copy and send to you - save you a few quid.

PM me if you wanna go for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom