The Best Linux

T

Testin da Cable

I like redhat and slackware.
rh has some strangeness, as it's become so interconnected and dependant that it's turning into a windows-alike
however, Emb, I'd have to say go with mandrake, although it's redhat based it has that elusive 'ezyfuse' that seems to be craved by some ;)

M

MYstIC G

Just installed RedHat 7.2, being a n00b to linux I must say I loved the ease of use of the updater, so I'll be leaving it at that for a while.

B

Bazerka

Debian, followed closely by Slack.

I wouldnt touch Redhat or Reddrake with Bill Gates' .... ;)

Mind you, saying that, I'd take FreeBSD over any Linux any day of the week :upyours:

Jase :D

M

MYstIC G

I was in "RedHat CDs are in front of me, they'll do" mode m8 :)

G

Grimes

if u know what your doing try Debian - although its getting a bit easier to figure out :p

if your new to Linux try Mandrake as you can't really go wrong with it - very "fischer price"

E

Embattle

Tried both versions of XP and realised it's the mothercare version of W2K ;)

M

MYstIC G

shut up about windows, go start a thread for it if you love it that much :rolleyes:

W

Will

Originally posted by Bazerka
...Mind you, saying that, I'd take FreeBSD over any Linux any day of the week...
Guess what I'm installing on Saturday (my first day off after my cable modem gets a 1mb downstream)? Floppies all ready to go.:D

W

Will

Oh, will I put you out of your misery? BeOS anyone? ;)

W

Will

Change of plan, no shiney new connection till the 28th:mad:

M

MYstIC G

would you feel more "recent" if I said OS/2 Warp then? ;)

T

Testin da Cable

warp servers are pretty cool :)

<mumble>unix is better tho</mumble>

S

sno

have used:

corel (crap crap crap crap even thou its based on deb)
redhat (its ok)
mandrake (blah dont like)
slackware :D rocks
debian is my fav, apt-get just soo soo owns me :clap:

suse i have heard is pretty good but aint tried it, currently dual booting between 2k/debian

btw if anyone hasnt tried the beta 3 net installer, its pretty damm good, 30MB iso download, then about 1 hr downloading the software needed (on cable)

once the install finished, all i needed to do was a compile of 2.4.18 and setup the firewall / nat and waaaaaaaaaa it was up and running, i did manage to rm / bin by accident thou :rolleyes:

only reason i aint switched 100% to debian is the voodoo5 (yes i know its a pants card) drivers arent 100% working, yes i can run quake3 but dropping from 115 fps to 30 just aint do able!!!!

S

sno

Originally posted by testin_da_cable
I use slack myself :)

apt-get was what sealed it for me, slackware always seemed a little faster to me thou, stripped down both to running the same processess and kernel compiles were a few secs faster under slackware (boredom)

gonna try swapping this v5 for a gf2 gts or something so at least i can quake again under linux

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom