Football The 2017/2018 Season Thread

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
It's *so* coming home.

Panama can absolutely fuck off with their dirty play and constant whining as well.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Feel sorry for Panama now..can we agree not to score again.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
gL32vNP.jpg

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Columbia Polished off their opposition today. Goes to show that FIFA rankings mean nothing at all.

Job

Just a reminder.
Weve beaten Tunisia and Panama.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
The first being a team that plays a shit time-wasting game that any England team from the last 10+ years would've stumbled against and the second being an absolute thrashing. You can only beat the opponent in front of you. You'd have expected that England would beat both of them but expecting it to happen doesn't always translate into it actually happening (see: Iceland, 2016).

Feeling sorry for Panama, belittling your own country's achievements... I love it when people who don't have any interest in a sport pop up when a big tournament comes around.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Just a reminder.
Weve beaten Tunisia and Panama.

Exactly the kinds of teams we’ve huffed and puffed to get past for the last 20 years.

I have no idea whether England will even get past the round of 16 (I’d fancy our chances against Senegal or Japan, Columbia? Not so much), but for once I don’t actually mind, because at least England have brought some spirit back their play, rather than the egos and unearned sense of entitlement we got from the “golden generation”.

Job

Oh fuck off..its Panamas first world cup..they scored their first goal against us.
Its easy to look good when the other team roll over.
Belgium put 5 past Tunisia they probably would have out 10 past Panama.
I do not apologise for pointing out we have beaten two minnows and are getting all excited.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Oh fuck off..its Panamas first world cup..they scored their first goal against us.
Its easy to look good when the other team roll over.
Belgium put 5 past Tunisia they probably would have out 10 past Panama.
I do not apologise for pointing out we have beaten two minnows and are getting all excited.

Belgium put three past Panama and took nearly 40 minutes to break them down. What are you talking about?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Regardless of all that - the whole point of a world cup is to get excited. To dream a little.

If people are getting excited then good on 'em. That's what football is about.

Liverpool are gonna win the league next year btw ;)

Job

Oh yeah..I forgot they played Belgium...anyway still shit.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
I think you've forgotten what a British sense of humour is @Job , I doubt even 1% of England fans believe we're going to win it after beating Tunisia and Panama.

Gray

FH is my second home
I think we could take Belgium. If there's one thing a Martinez team is good at is attacking, but generally pants defensively. I guess as long as we don't concede any penalties or stupid free-kicks we are in with a shout of beating them.

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
If you haven't already went all out and gotten an 'England - Football World Champions 2018' tattoo on your fat gut, are you even English?

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I think you've forgotten what a British sense of humour is @Job , I doubt even 1% of England fans believe we're going to win it after beating Tunisia and Panama.
We just like to take advantage of a winning start at a major otrnament cause it doesnt happen very often hehe

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
ok the Portugal-Iran game was an absolute car crash. referee was all over the place. funny though :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
VAR being used as a stick to beat refs with? Whatever next eh? ;)

They should bin it. The delays alone are worth it, regardless of all other considerations. Listening to the england match on the radio the other day and it was like, VAR, so, er......, errr....., HOW MANY MILES CAN I DRIVE BEFORE THEY MAKE A DECISION?!

It's fucking awful. Plus = no more hand of god. Ever :(

SilverHood

FH is my second home
VAR being used as a stick to beat refs with? Whatever next eh? ;)

They should bin it. The delays alone are worth it, regardless of all other considerations. Listening to the england match on the radio the other day and it was like, VAR, so, er......, errr....., HOW MANY MILES CAN I DRIVE BEFORE THEY MAKE A DECISION?!

It's fucking awful. Plus = no more hand of god. Ever :(

They need to give each team a a set number of VAR calls. Maybe 1 per half, plus one to be used anytime. Then only review goals and clear goal scoring opportunities, regardless of in the box or not, including any fouls committed in the lead up the the goal / opportunity, perhaps 15 seconds.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
They need to give each team a a set number of VAR calls. Maybe 1 per half, plus one to be used anytime. Then only review goals and clear goal scoring opportunities, regardless of in the box or not, including any fouls committed in the lead up the the goal / opportunity, perhaps 15 seconds.
What? Like a fucking timeout from Rugby?

There's literally no solution that uses var that doesn't ruin the free flow of football, which is one of the beautiful games beautiful features.

VAR makes football ugly. It's utterly unnecessary, it hasn't massively reduced contentious decisions and it's permanently removed events that can culturally scar or elate entire populations for generations (i.e. the hand-of-god type things) from it's emotional repertoire.

Britain's shared anguish from something that happened more than 30 years ago, a talking point for the whole planet (one that makes them laugh) - never can that sort of thing happen again.

It's a significantly lesser game because of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom