Thanes in RvR?

O

old.yaruar

Originally posted by Zoldot

and I'm not so sure of that warrior do so much more dmg when you count in thane dmg add and insta.. infact I think thane do more :D

Yeah but fully buffed a warrior will have over 1000hp more than a fully buffed thane. Also bear in mind that there are castable damage adds which can be given to a warrior at about 11dps compared to our maximum 9dps (can't remember exact figures)
+ the insta is resisted a hell of a lot in rvr and with resists on top of that damage is akin to being licked by a kitten.

Thanes are goo din certain situations, but need severe tweeking to make them a viable group RvR class. As has been said before what makes a class viable in RvR is what it can uniquely bring to the battlefield. Problem with thanes is that in the gestalt they add nothing that can't be added better by others.
Defensively Warriors are better than us
Offensively Savages are better than us
In terms of casting all casters outdamages us and have something special to add to a gropb, be it pbt, gbaoe, pbaoe, etc
We can't heal
We have no speed
In fact we have nothing at present which can benefit a group more than any other class.

This is why there are only a few pig headed players playing thanes at high level and most of the thanes from back in the day are now shelved or deleted.
There was a time when the fields of emain sang with the tune of ccers yelling to stop mezz breaking... Alas those days are no more.

L

Lumikki

It's a sad fact that those clueless "lolz spamming mjollnir is kool" types have dragged thanes to the mud. One has to be pretty damn clueless not to figure out how to use it right, and that goes to all thane spells.

They sure can be effective in RvR, but good luck trying find a group... :rolleyes:

xx

P

punj

TL report said your not getting cheap RA's so thanes>>warrior will never happen
keep dreaming:great:

Z

Zoldot

Originally posted by old.yaruar
And that has what to do with it. Actually I'm 49 now.. And why do you know better than me, I've played the same thane constantly since full release so know a little bit about playing one.

Bearing in mind anyone can get pled to 50 in a few days or buy an account having a lvl 50 is no indication of how well you know the character, in fact there are an increasing number of lvl 50's out there who can't play for toffee and can't even inagine playing without their uber buffbot.....
I'v leveled my thane from 1-50 and I made it in the biginning of the game (EU version).
I'm lvl 50 and I know how a lvl 50 thane with sc armor etc works in group rvr more then you . Since you doesn't have a lvl 50.

Z

Zoldot

Yeah but fully buffed a warrior will have over 1000hp more than a fully buffed thane. Also bear in mind that there are castable damage adds which can be given to a warrior at about 11dps compared to our maximum 9dps (can't remember exact figures)
+ the insta is resisted a hell of a lot in rvr and with resists on top of that damage is akin to being licked by a kitten.

Thanes are goo din certain situations, but need severe tweeking to make them a viable group RvR class. As has been said before what makes a class viable in RvR is what it can uniquely bring to the battlefield. Problem with thanes is that in the gestalt they add nothing that can't be added better by others.
Defensively Warriors are better than us
Offensively Savages are better than us
In terms of casting all casters outdamages us and have something special to add to a gropb, be it pbt, gbaoe, pbaoe, etc
We can't heal
We have no speed
In fact we have nothing at present which can benefit a group more than any other class.

This is why there are only a few pig headed players playing thanes at high level and most of the thanes from back in the day are now shelved or deleted.
There was a time when the fields of emain sang with the tune of ccers yelling to stop mezz breaking... Alas those days are no more.
that is what would be good about thanes if they remove det. they could do ALOT of things in group rvr, they had shield,slam, nice dmg and block (but not as good as warrior) they could insta dd, singel dd, nic if ur rooted or if u cant catch someone atacking ur support. about the hp I had no ide a warrior had 3000+ hp fully buffed, tho they are the ones with most hp in daoc? the str/con is good to use if ur shammy is low on con (tho they should make it as good as shammies). and I know they will never be giving thanes det but I sad IF they would they would rock =)
but you have a healer for heal :p so the lower hp and the little lower defence doesn't do so much :)

O

old.yaruar

I'v leveled my thane from 1-50 and I made it in the biginning of the game (EU version).
I'm lvl 50 and I know how a lvl 50 thane with sc armor etc works in group rvr more then you . Since you doesn't have a lvl 50.

I know perfectly well how a thane works in groups. Not as well as other tanks. Which is why it's nigh on impossible to get a group unless with people you know well.

O

old.yaruar

that is what would be good about thanes if they remove det. they could do ALOT of things in group rvr, they had shield,slam, nice dmg and block (but not as good as warrior) they could insta dd, singel dd, nic if ur rooted or if u cant catch someone atacking ur support. about the hp I had no ide a warrior had 3000+ hp fully buffed, tho they are the ones with most hp in daoc? the str/con is good to use if ur shammy is low on con (tho they should make it as good as shammies). and I know they will never be giving thanes det but I sad IF they would they would rock =)
but you have a healer for heal :p so the lower hp and the little lower defence doesn't do so much :)

So warriors do all the things we do as tanks but much better. The 1/3 odd extra hit points do make a lot of difference to survivability.
Don't get me wrong, I like my thane, wouldn't play any other class as much, but we do fall down on our groupability in RvR. Our spells are too weak (especially with huge resists)

Also if you use the argument that low hits isn't an issue because of healers, they when should determination be an issue as a good support player should be ready to demezz any members of the group anyway.... Although both these put extra pressure on the healers to keep an eye out for thanes compared to other classes.

Determination is a moot point anyway as mythic have explicitly said that NO hybrid tanks are going to get det ever.

I still stick by the point that thanes have less to add to group play than other classes (although even warriors are feeling hte push now with the fotm savages)
Any realm where most RvR groups actually only want 4 classes is a broken realm.....

Z

Zoldot

I didnt want to turn this into an dusscution, just added my point of wiew first and then answered ur comments.
I gave you the reason why I should know better, since I played lvl 50 thane with sc armor etc in group rvr, and you know perfectly how they work? you can't say that. Yeeah you probably know much but you can't know how they doing at lvl 50 with sc armor and all in group rvr as you havn't played one.
The thing about healers wasn't really an argument, mroe of a statement =)
They use spreadheal and thanes get healed even fi they dont specific target the thane as needed for heal.

however, aint in mood of dusscution about thanes.
Yeah you have very much right what ur saying, I just add my point of wiew and you know the reason alrdy why I should know better then you, ppl can lissen to my point or to your's or both or whatever. I'm done in this thread now.

C

Conchabar

Still imo thane>>warrior if thane had cheap ra's :p

u r a hybrid.. hybrids do not get cheap ras -_-

G

grane

At least thanes can have some fun while they stay back guarding casters.

Don`t see why u so badly need more hps. As a shield user ur role is to keep others alive. When all casters in ur grp r dead u gonna die anyway even if u have 2000+ hps.

On the other hand stormcalling needs to be improved a bit imao. Selfbuffs need atleast to be equal to those u get from supporting classes, and the dam on mjolnir needs to be increased. More dam on the hammers will be a nice way to counter the endless number of chanter boxes.

K

Kindar

Im going to roll a Thane at some time, cause i dunno what people have against Thanes.
Imo they seem to be a nice class...both for pvp and rvr. Its a annoying class, cause my warrior always die to em in duels :-/

Thanes get around 1600 hp with str/con buff...thats just the hp like my warrior. So same tanking hp amount....only difference is shield spec. Thanes go for 42 shield for slam. Thats a decent block rate too.
So...imo just a warrior here..

The Storm Calling makes their tanking and actions a bit different. Warriors just guard a healer or assist the never ending savages joining Emain atm :-(
SC is good at keep defence and retakes, just not much of that in Emain ^^
As Thane i would prolly start chasing casters....if they ain't mezz, then AE them to death or just for annoyment. Casters don't have time to be AEd, so Thane can buy his/her grp some time. (yes...my warrior really hate Theurgist nukes!!)

Its just a matter of trying out stuff with the class....Thane do have a possibility to join a rvr grp, but they in most cases have to act like a warrior :-/

Anyway...just my little opinion.

G

Gorb

So warriors do all the things we do as tanks but much better. The 1/3 odd extra hit points do make a lot of difference to survivability.
Don't get me wrong, I like my thane, wouldn't play any other class as much, but we do fall down on our groupability in RvR. Our spells are too weak (especially with huge resists)

Also if you use the argument that low hits isn't an issue because of healers, they when should determination be an issue as a good support player should be ready to demezz any members of the group anyway.... Although both these put extra pressure on the healers to keep an eye out for thanes compared to other classes.

Determination is a moot point anyway as mythic have explicitly said that NO hybrid tanks are going to get det ever.

I still stick by the point that thanes have less to add to group play than other classes (although even warriors are feeling hte push now with the fotm savages)
Any realm where most RvR groups actually only want 4 classes is a broken realm.....
You obviously don't have a clue what you are talking about. Comparing hps/spread heal and determ/demezz is just plain stupid. Spread heal heals entire group, demezz is for a single character. Spread heal is the best way to heal anyway, it doesn't make a difference if thane is healed with the rest of the group as well. And the hps haven't been a issue anyway after SCed gear.

And saying that warriors have better defense is a lame excuse too, atleast everyone says that people are always hit from behind(annihilation, ragnarok), so what's the point on stressing that warriors have teeny weeny better block/parry rate? And eventhou warriors have a highest ws in the game. It doesn't mean that thanes wouldn't hit with their lesser ws.

You mentioned those damage adds in one of your replys too. I bet you don't see too many 49 darkness specced runemasters running with group also, since its the era of the dark age of tankalot.

And no, the realm isnt broken just because there are only 4 viable rvr classes. The whole game is. Remove determination and reduce duration of mezz and roots to 40% and the problem is solved. No class would be discriminated just because their class lacks of a certain RA.

Only way thanes would be made a viable rvr member in mid is that they remove end buff from shamans and give it to thanes. No changes in their spell line can change the fact that without determination your class is a lost cause.

K

Kindar

Originally posted by Gorb

Only way thanes would be made a viable rvr member in mid is that they remove end buff from shamans and give it to thanes. No changes in their spell line can change the fact that without determination your class is a lost cause.

I actually kinda like that idea...would annoy bb user alot more and Thanes would become ALOT better char :)

H

heists

Originally posted by Kindar

Thanes get around 1600 hp with str/con buff...thats just the hp like my warrior.
they get 1600 with con buff, what does your warrior get with conbuff?

Z

zoia

Was going to say something here, but...hmmm....my thane is only 48, so what do i know? :rolleyes:

Just because someone isn't 50, doesn't mean he don't know anything about his char
and how it performs in RvR or can't come up with valid points.

Z

Zoldot

Originally posted by zoia
Was going to say something here, but...hmmm....my thane is only 48, so what do i know? :rolleyes:

Just because someone isn't 50, doesn't mean he don't know anything about his char

I guess that was to me.
Just wanna clear this one out then I'm done in this thread :p
I NEVER sad he doesn't know anything. I sad you probably know very much about thanes..
But I doubt he knows better then me how they doing in goruprvr with sc gear at lvl 50 since he AINT GOT ONE lvl 50 with sc gear etc. so thats fact that he can't know more since he havn't played one can he? he can guess pretty much how they are but he can't know for sure wich I can...

A

Akyma

Thane more good, any warrior want duel me? =)
Thane's the best guard char. U can assist with spells & prot healer at time, warrior,.... rolf class.

B

bjaadi-

thane were ok before ras got in the game... det destroyd it...
now thanes are poo easy as that... but i still enjoying my thane
will play him gimped or not

B

bjaadi-

Originally posted by zoia

Zoia if you dont lvl your thane soon zoia... you got a big spankin comin up :p

I

I_R_Big_Troll

Thanes are good matey - imo

We organised a Thane grp the other day in odins with Ladonna and we had some serious fun - 1fg vs. 1.5fg albs and it was one of the longest battles ive had in RvR. (must add that we got steamrolled by 4fg albs right after that battle tho lol). We were 5 thanes, healer, shaman, skald

Yeah fine they are not the FOTM class of the month - nor are they the most omgIroxxorIamsol337 class of the game - but i can hold my own in RvR just like any other class can and do some ass-wh00ping of my own.

Each to their own imo - if the class appeals to you play it matey - expecially with the lubbing inc in 1.65

just my 2 plat's worth

/wave

E

etcetra

And that has what to do with it. Actually I'm 49 now.. And why do you know better than me, I've played the same thane constantly since full release so know a little bit about playing one.

Bearing in mind anyone can get pled to 50 in a few days or buy an account having a lvl 50 is no indication of how well you know the character, in fact there are an increasing number of lvl 50's out there who can't play for toffee and can't even inagine playing without their uber buffbot.....

Well i have played this char from lvl 1, and now to rr5L3, often soloing and all that. :x

And what Zoldot said had more sense than what you said, and before you are 50 with a char dont say anything :x

PvE doesnt count! ;x

O

old.yaruar

Originally posted by etcetra
Well i have played this char from lvl 1, and now to rr5L3, often soloing and all that. :x

And what Zoldot said had more sense than what you said, and before you are 50 with a char dont say anything :x

PvE doesnt count! ;x

Well I've only got a year and a halfs RvR experience too so I obviously don't know anything about the class.... And neither do any of the thanes I've been playing with since day one (most of whom rerolled and retired due to frustration.)

I'm not saying Thanes are terrible. Just that they are lacking (which is pretty much agreed by all people who have played thanes for a while - and all the groups who refuse to let them join)
They need modifying to make them more appealing to group play in RvR

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom