Thanes in RvR?

X

xaeron

Hi guys - been playing DaoC for about a week with the US version I brought years ago but never got round to playing :)

Anyway I've got a lvl 18 thane and really enjoy playing him... but as im now purchasing the euro version and expansion pack so I can play in my own UK time zone, and therefore are going to need to start a new character - im just wondering if Thanes are worthwhile for RvR?

Because although im enjoying lvling a thane, ultimately I want to be at least adequate for RvR, but I dont see much about Thanes in RvR.

So - are they really bad for RvR or plausable? If they really aren't good for RvR are there any similar classes you think I may like for RvR?

Thanks for any info :)

Adam

B

Bani

Prolly the same work as warriors assisting and guarding basicly

It's just that warriors are so much better at that job because, warrior are pure tanks. (no lighting bolts up your arse etc,etc)

Giveing em alot cheaper ra's. (and det)
And lets not forget about the hitpoints and weaponskill but, there is hope for your thane.

There is a new patch comeing with thane lub.(1.65 i think)

Whice i have no idea what is but the yanks seems very pleased with it ;)

N

noaim

Originally posted by xaeron
Hi guys - been playing DaoC for about a week with the US version I brought years ago but never got round to playing :)

Anyway I've got a lvl 18 thane and really enjoy playing him... but as im now purchasing the euro version and expansion pack so I can play in my own UK time zone, and therefore are going to need to start a new character - im just wondering if Thanes are worthwhile for RvR?

Because although im enjoying lvling a thane, ultimately I want to be at least adequate for RvR, but I dont see much about Thanes in RvR.

So - are they really bad for RvR or plausable? If they really aren't good for RvR are there any similar classes you think I may like for RvR?

Thanks for any info :)

Adam

Do yourself a favour and reroll your char.

Thanes are ok , but not as good as a warrior as someone already said. And noone wants a thane in the group, simply cuz warriors does the job better and the fact that people are afraid to get thanes along cuz they break mezzes with mjolnir. A good thane know when to use it, but unfortunately there's lots of crap ones out there aswell :/

roll a warrior, zerk or savage if you wanna go melee. And if you enjoy getting flamed by 12 year old tards, you must definately roll a savage.

A

AbPoon

Dont roll a Thane, they good fun to play but youll never get an rvr group.

Just the way it is :/

M

Meeks

If you want a shield tank...roll a warrior, you will get a hard time finding decent groups in rvr as a thane :/

Dont make a savage, we have enough of them already ;)

W

Whoodoo_RD

Thanes are fun to PvE, and have pretty spells, but alas, Mythic have us firmly under the nerf bat:

Mjolliner - as aim said, the mezz breaker, the bain of all CC classes.
Self Boofs - Even at 50 dont compare to a decent shammy
Single Line DD - chocolate teapot, shit cast time (unless you cap dex) and pathetic damage and resisted a hell of a lot :(
Insta DD - only good for breaking a cast, then what?
Insta AEDD - Oh good, lets stand in the middle of an FG of albs and do 20(-100) damage eh.
HP Table - Hell even my huntress has better!
Epic Armour - looks like im wearing some 70s reject dungarees and the stats blow goats (I have proof)

Aside all that, fun to play.

For defence, roll a warrior, for offence roll a savage. Or wait till Mythic take their finger out and gif good luivin.

X

xaeron

Thanks a lot for the replies :)

Guess im going to have to have a think :) Warriors sound tempting, as do savages!

Shame thanes arent usefull in RvR as they seem my ideal class :(

Adam

W

Whoodoo_RD

Dont delete him m8, Thane lov is coming, read the VN boards, im sure you will find some info about 1.65 lovage :)

Stay tuned bud

O

old.Xarr

his thane is on his us account. he's planning on starting euro. don't think there will be much deleting involved.

as for personal advice:

if you like the thane for the purdy spells etc and still want to be able to melee and be useful to your group in rvr there's always the skald to consider. ;)

X

xaeron

I must admit it is mainly the pretty spells lol :)

Skalds eh? hmmm never really considered that... will look into it :)

What are the best spell casters in midgard for RvR come to think of it? And are they viable? :)

Thanks again!

Adam

B

Blazor Meneth

Atm RMs got it a little though getting grps but with debuff they do scary dmg. And skalds is always wanted in grps as everyone want the skald speed :) just dont go kobbie :D

S

Spix

Roll Warrior and use throwing hammers instead, same damage but no fancy effects.

Why not thane?

You end up with a char that has hammer and shield , but never get to use it since you will be mezzed and stunned for entire fights since you have no determination RA.

Your hit points is same as a kobold hunter, but your damage output and weaponskill is not even close when both is buffed even if you take hammer, axe or sword to 50.

Stormcalling line is crap and only useful in keep takes when you can do some AE damage on the battlements and doors. Resists has reduced the damage even more, and mana and endurance drain makes it not worth to cast. Damage add does not compensate enough for the loss of weaponskill when taking sc to 46. Con/str buff can be ok when you are solo, but if you wanna solo, stealth classes or skald is far better choise.

Roll a pure tank or pure caster, hybrids are teh crap and are replaced by pure tanks or pure casters (even casters have a hard time now to get group though).

There are ofcourse good thanes that are active in rvr but most thanes are retired waiting for mythic to have a look at the class.

Oh and about the incoming love, dont expect too much... but I holding thumbs.

X

xaeron

Ok warrior it is for me :)

Thanks for all the helpfull replies!

Adam

G

Gorb

If thanes had cheap IP, purge and determination, they would be better then warriors, but since they don't have em, there's no point rolling one.

As for the coming thane love. I bet they won't give any abilities that would make em more group friendly, things will propably just end up even worse then they are now (taking away our ability to solo great in PvE).

Z

Zoldot

The main problem with thanes i it's RA's, if it would have cheap ra's it would rock imo =)
the pbae dd is very nice for unstealthing stealthers.
insta dd, break casters and it does dmg. The only reason why thane often win over warrior in duel is the dd's who does the dmg when it is much blocking. the singel dd isnt that bad, I killed casters with that and insta as an compliment. (in group rvr)
got nice dmg add, tho the str/con selfbuffs need to get as good as the shammy one.
Hp isn't that bad. 2000+ when fullbuffed.
if thanes just had cheap ra's it would rock warrior imo =)

R

RobbanPobban

Thane will pwn in 1.65! :O Stick with your thane!

E

etcetra

Thane's will pwn because we get a SPELL BOOST?
Hell no, we're still gonna suck ass.

They also said: THANE'S ARE SO GONNA PWN WHEN THAT NEW STR/CON SELFBUFF! NOT TO MENTION THE REMOVAL OF THE TIMER OF THAT UbER SPELL! JEAH!

P

punj

reason i said savage is it's even becoming harder for my warrior to get a group now :/
but when savages get nerfed i'll have the last laugh:cheers:

X

xaeron

Everyone keeps saying thanes are gonna 'pwn' in 1.65 - where are u all getting this info for 1.65? :)

O

old.anubis

determination >>>> all the love thanes will ever have
so if you want to play a tank roll the one who has determination

zerkers - were nerfed
savages - will be nerfed

so roll a warrior :cool:

O

old.yaruar

Originally posted by xaeron
Everyone keeps saying thanes are gonna 'pwn' in 1.65 - where are u all getting this info for 1.65? :)
Mythic have finally listened to the Thane TL and said the class is gimp city. I doubt they will pwn at all but they did promise a complete reworking of SC in 1.65 which may at lease make us a little more RvR friendly.

O

old.yaruar

Originally posted by Zoldot
The main problem with thanes i it's RA's, if it would have cheap ra's it would rock imo =)
the pbae dd is very nice for unstealthing stealthers.
insta dd, break casters and it does dmg. The only reason why thane often win over warrior in duel is the dd's who does the dmg when it is much blocking. the singel dd isnt that bad, I killed casters with that and insta as an compliment. (in group rvr)
got nice dmg add, tho the str/con selfbuffs need to get as good as the shammy one.
Hp isn't that bad. 2000+ when fullbuffed.
if thanes just had cheap ra's it would rock warrior imo =)
No thanes suck for many more reasons than that. We have stupidly low hits, we have lower weaponskill than virtually every other tank or hybrid, there is nothing we can do that any other class can do better. In unbuffed duels we do quite well due to our variety of abilities, however in group situations we can't compete with other classes as they all have potentially everything we have, only better and with bells on.
The gmg add isn't that great as other players in the realm can cast one which is baout 2 DPS better.

pbae can uncover stealthers, however it costs a shed load of power and end and doesn't actually do more than tickle them.

Z

Zoldot

eh? yaruar? you only got lvl 47+ thane? I think I know better then you do when I have a lvl 50 one.
imo if they had cheap ra's and det all like warr's have they would rock. I would never choose warrior before thane then.. 2000+ fullbuffed aint that low hp, insta is very nice, dmg add is very good. Thane>>warriors if thane had cheap ra's and stuff IMO. They can insta dd, that is nice dmg complent/interrupt and they can singel lightning, very nice if ur rooted or if someone chasing ur suport class and u cant catch them. maybe I wouldnt choose a thane before warrior but I wouldnt choose warrior before thane either, I take any of them in group.

Still imo thane>>warrior if thane had cheap ra's :p

and I'm not so sure of that warrior do so much more dmg when you count in thane dmg add and insta.. infact I think thane do more :D

O

old.anubis

imo if they had cheap ra's and det all like warr's have they would rock.

dont even dream about it
this is _the_ difference between pure tank and hybrid (who has mana pool)

O

old.Zarko

Thanes are uber - will be the fotm later next year when all the other likeable chars are nerfed.

You know fast those aoe thanes spells can rip a gray xp group at DF entrance!! I tell you: THANES FOR THE FUN OF THE GAME!

P

purge_emain

2000+ hp?!?

How in gods name did you reach 2000hp? My thane is lvl 50 dorf with +200 hp from spellcrafted armour, +75 con, and i max at 1700-1800 with red shaman buffs + moa3...
Even with aug con 1 and toughness 1, you should not get more than 1900 ?
Plz do tell how you reached that amount of hp on a thane.
Oh, and givf determination, even if it costs twice as much as purge does on a pure melee (!)

D

dlyan

well i quite regularly hit 1800+ hits with just my epic and buffed off our friendly guild seers so 2000 is achievable with full SC and buffs imho.

O

old.yaruar

eh? yaruar? you only got lvl 47+ thane? I think I know better then you do when I have a lvl 50 one.

And that has what to do with it. Actually I'm 49 now.. And why do you know better than me, I've played the same thane constantly since full release so know a little bit about playing one.

Bearing in mind anyone can get pled to 50 in a few days or buy an account having a lvl 50 is no indication of how well you know the character, in fact there are an increasing number of lvl 50's out there who can't play for toffee and can't even inagine playing without their uber buffbot.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom