Thane Or Warrior?

Valencio

Fledgling Freddie
For mainly RvR, which would you guys say is bestestestest? and why?

Hendo

x

remi

Fledgling Freddie
warrior, mainly because the thane class is broken.

TriggerHappy

Fledgling Freddie
ya warrio ftw mate, thanes are a very good class and easy to lvl with quite alot of grp utility, but if u want Rvr grps id say warrior is the way to mate.
Norse ftw

Mas

One of Freddy's beloved
Only use for a warrior is bg'ing casters/healers and of course pve, other than that listen to farils wise words for a group roll a savage or a zerker.

Akyma

Fledgling Freddie
thane > warrior atm
ofc if w r talking about TOAded thane.
ST and extra interups is the win

Akyma

Fledgling Freddie
thane > warrior atm

Akyma

Fledgling Freddie
thane > warrior atm

Kathal

Fledgling Freddie
A good Thane > a good Warrior.
A bad Warrior > a bad Thane.

Olgaline

FH is my second home
zerk+sav > 2x zerk :p

as for thanes and warr, shrug depends alot on play style and setup,
- in caster heavy grp i'd say warr for strong bg, guard and not to mention rr5 abil
- in tank heavy grp thane, interrupts, ect

safest bet ? prob warr, altho thane solo preaty well as well wich is a nice bon

Ironlung

Fledgling Freddie
It's very hard to get pickup rvr groups as a Thane. Almost impossible in prime time...
But that said, I have a Thane and a Warrior. I prefer the Thane anyday.

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
Thanes are more fun, but capping them in a temp is grim, you basically end up with aa warrior temp and shite piety. But great for interupts and AE leeching in seiges :)

Next patch we get some high level mob kiling lurve too :) see patch notes!

Valencio

Fledgling Freddie
probably going to roll a thane for more fun in RvR and i think they'll be more fun to solo in RvR, and also more successful - that right? although warr would have more defense, where can i find the patch notes about thane lurvveee?

Thankyou (K)

^^ tried searchin already couldn't find it :<

hendo

x

Sye

Fledgling Freddie
CLASS CHANGES AND FIXES

Thanes and Valkyries

- A new ability has been granted to Thanes and Valkyries at level 40 to aid Midgard as a whole in combat against monsters level 50 and higher. The ability, Call of a Thousand Storms, is a 5 minute self only buff which increases the amount of attackers based off the level of monster being battled. For example, if you have 2 Valk and a Thane in your group and each uses their ability, they each will effectively count as multiple attackers for the duration of the buff. The number of attackers they count as is based upon the level of the monster they are fighting - the higher level the monster, the more attackers the buff adds.

Eithor

Fledgling Freddie
Warriors deal and take better damage, and most often better defence(not always though ;] ), melee wise. Warrior must get into the action, always if they want to fight, while thanes often can stand a good distance away and hammer or single nuke. If you only would go for 8 man grp, then mby the warrior would be the right thing.

But if you wish to be able to solo, duo and grp in both pve and rvr/pvp and have alot more fun doing it, i'd recommend thane, when you gain some RR you could (cheap i might add) ra-respec into pure "tank" stuff, and do heavy pve as good as most good warriors, or you could go try enhance the casting side of the thane, 340dex and 30-40% chance to crit with spells, and some 220-230 piety atop of that actually hurts, not close to any pure caster ofc, but within 3-5 seconds you kill most casters, if you see them first, thats little time to get them killed before they quickcast you and/or their pet start to interrupt you, quite fun :) (although your "melee-side" will be pretty crappy, and you die to most melee, unless you start nuke at them at good distance ;] ).

While i'm leveling up my second thane now, a troll thane, it's not the class i'd recommend, low dex wich means slow casting, worse parry and worse blocking. Norseman for good hp, str and dex, would be my advice.
Although if i got a class-respec i'd still go with my main frost elf thane, for better defence, faster nuking as well as harder nuking/more dmg, dwarf aint bad, they just don't excell in anything, except get a tad more hp (thanes get little return for their con-points so the extra hp a dwarf has, wont give you all that much more hp, compared to if you'd been a warrior.

Also the "best" (or at least viewed as that by most high rr thanes) spec would be:
48sc(for best nuke, no need to go higher, because u can get the yellow str/con capped, so going 50sc is really really a waste of nice specpoints)
42shield, for 9-seconds anytime stun as well as decent defence.
39weapon(most often hammer), a 50weapon specced thane wont hit all that much harder than a 39spc thane, as long as the effective weapon spec is 51 or above.
15parry, while parry aint all that good, it wont get half the defence value like shield/blocking does vs a dualwielder, so it helps vs all melee and especially vs dualwielders(parry15+12 +moparry2 or 3 aint bad).

Me myself have this spec, and i like it :)
48sc
44shield+18+mob4
30sword+18
26parry+18+moparry4

Can tell you that most dualwielders don't easily get through my defence ;)
My spec wouldn't work all that good for a low rr though, but i used to run with a similair spec that works ok if rr3 or above(and i might respec back to it):
48sc, 42shield, 34sword and 24parry.

Gl whatever class and race choice you make ;)

Akyma

Fledgling Freddie
Eithor said:
Warriors deal and take better damage, and most often better defence(not always though ;] ), melee wise. Warrior must get into the action, always if they want to fight, while thanes often can stand a good distance away and hammer or single nuke. If you only would go for 8 man grp, then mby the warrior would be the right thing.

But if you wish to be able to solo, duo and grp in both pve and rvr/pvp and have alot more fun doing it, i'd recommend thane, when you gain some RR you could (cheap i might add) ra-respec into pure "tank" stuff, and do heavy pve as good as most good warriors, or you could go try enhance the casting side of the thane, 340dex and 30-40% chance to crit with spells, and some 220-230 piety atop of that actually hurts, not close to any pure caster ofc, but within 3-5 seconds you kill most casters, if you see them first, thats little time to get them killed before they quickcast you and/or their pet start to interrupt you, quite fun :) (although your "melee-side" will be pretty crappy, and you die to most melee, unless you start nuke at them at good distance ;] ).

While i'm leveling up my second thane now, a troll thane, it's not the class i'd recommend, low dex wich means slow casting, worse parry and worse blocking. Norseman for good hp, str and dex, would be my advice.
Although if i got a class-respec i'd still go with my main frost elf thane, for better defence, faster nuking as well as harder nuking/more dmg, dwarf aint bad, they just don't excell in anything, except get a tad more hp (thanes get little return for their con-points so the extra hp a dwarf has, wont give you all that much more hp, compared to if you'd been a warrior.

Also the "best" (or at least viewed as that by most high rr thanes) spec would be:
48sc(for best nuke, no need to go higher, because u can get the yellow str/con capped, so going 50sc is really really a waste of nice specpoints)
42shield, for 9-seconds anytime stun as well as decent defence.
39weapon(most often hammer), a 50weapon specced thane wont hit all that much harder than a 39spc thane, as long as the effective weapon spec is 51 or above.
15parry, while parry aint all that good, it wont get half the defence value like shield/blocking does vs a dualwielder, so it helps vs all melee and especially vs dualwielders(parry15+12 +moparry2 or 3 aint bad).

Me myself have this spec, and i like it :)
48sc
44shield+18+mob4
30sword+18
26parry+18+moparry4

Can tell you that most dualwielders don't easily get through my defence ;)
My spec wouldn't work all that good for a low rr though, but i used to run with a similair spec that works ok if rr3 or above(and i might respec back to it):
48sc, 42shield, 34sword and 24parry.

Gl whatever class and race choice you make ;)
u r wrong on best thane spec i think.
46 -SC u dont need last casteable purple, is 151 Vs 120
44 -weapon, i tryed all and hammer is the best, u get best taunt style in mid, nice dmg on ressist table and the OP conquer with 12 sec snare. Plus thanes dont have higer WS, with 30 weapon u will have around 1200 WS or less. Dont is dmg question is with 30 weapon u miss alot
42 -shield, slam ktnxbye
3 parry - why more? Oo

U need try do MLs, CB with grapple is fun on thanes and BG is basic imo. Best thane have is ST, get it lvl 2-3, is the hane i win key

atos

Fledgling Freddie
Akyma said:
u r wrong on best thane spec i think.
46 -SC u dont need last casteable purple, is 151 Vs 120
44 -weapon, i tryed all and hammer is the best, u get best taunt style in mid, nice dmg on ressist table and the OP conquer with 12 sec snare. Plus thanes dont have higer WS, with 30 weapon u will have around 1200 WS or less. Dont is dmg question is with 30 weapon u miss alot
42 -shield, slam ktnxbye
3 parry - why more? Oo

U need try do MLs, CB with grapple is fun on thanes and BG is basic imo. Best thane have is ST, get it lvl 2-3, is the hane i win key

151 vs 120? The last DD delves for 173 iirc. (incase you read it of daoc.catacombs)

44wep is indeed the way to go pre rr5 in my opinnion. But after rr5 you'll get .3 more dps, so from there you are best off to lower wep spec to 39.
I admit 44 shield is wierd.. but it's Eithor.. :p
Get as much parry as you can, but it's lowest priority. Atleastin my eyes.

ST isnt an Iwinbutton in 1on1, WoC3 is.

And weaponskill isnt a problem. I've tried 50 hammer along with aug str5. That left me at about 1893ws. Needless to say, it wasnt worth it. I suggest the same spec as Eithor.

Thats the word of two RR8+ thanes vs a bunch of fotm wagoners!

Eithor

Fledgling Freddie
Sorry Takhy/Akyma but you're pretty wrong ;]

I got about 1450-ish ws with Sword 30+18 and aug str1 as a frost thane, at the very moment, fully buffed ofc.

And yes one need the last dd at 48sc, else your damage will work only as weak leeching, with last dd it's possible to do OK damage.
Granted, no big diff in a 8vs8 grp setup, but if duo or solo it matters alot.

Hammer-provoke that i assume you talk of aint the best style in mid, draw out is, since it got alot higher "chance-to-hit" bonus, the best in the whole game if i got it right even ;] While provoke got medium "to-hit-chance", but use very little end wich is the strength of provoke really.
So using draw out, somewhat neglect my overall low chance to hit with a weapon.

Yes i do need to do ML's, the thing is that i sit on a 56k dial-up/modem connection, that when i join ML raids goes ld on me, luckily i have a friend with ok connection that did help me a bit, so i'm at least ml4 atm.

Parry... As said shield/block-rate is halfed (as in 50%) vs a dualwielder, so it become very crappy. Parry on the other side DON'T get 50% parry value vs a dualwielder, it stay the same. So my 26+18+moparry4 helps alot.

Now what most often kill me in a 1(me) vs 1 or 2 or sometimes even 3 enemies, is my low resists(got ok melee resists, unless i use some of my gear to enhance my casting, as in towers/keeps/zergs etc, then my melee resists become crappy too ;] ), dots, instas etc takes big gaps out of my hp(not to mention pure nukes, lol).
If id duel a rr5 warrior with ok skills, i'd say i'd win 7-9 times out of 10, vs a skald or another thane, it's more like 5/5.

44hammer over 39, hmm mby you hit for 10-20 more damage each strike and a follow-up style thats seldom used in rvr (mby once at a enemy), with 15 in parry instead of 3 you will parry some tiems save you some hp/time so you in turn could hit the enemy some more times, or even get to use the 2 instas another round.

But as said if anyone would try to go "my way", in terms of thane speccing,i'd suggest 48sc, 42shield,34sword(or hammer, but that draw out really helps getting in hits) and 24parry.

That said, i do suggest the "standard spec" for those who want a sturdy and effective thane as possible(in most areas).(48sc,42shield,39hammer/weapon and 15parry).

Eithor

Fledgling Freddie
Wish i had woc3... :/ But when out soloing my defence is what win for me, and it's active all the time (not counting stun/mezz etc ;] ) and not on a pretty long timer ). They should make woc3 the thane rr5 ability instead, that would make me a happy thane, hehe.

- English -

Resident Freddy
i been trying WOC 3 for a bit on my thane, i made a dmg screen of it all but i just formated comp and lost it lol :D

on average it ranges from 500 -750 pbase damage

very nice, but its on a 10min timer

p.s thane rr5 makes jesus cry

Nul

Fledgling Freddie
While we on the subject.. I just made a new template for my thane
and started playing him again. I had a look at hes RAs yesterday and
thought that aviodance of magic could be nice. But how much?
What is the hard cap at? 50%? Having ~37-41% elemental resists
w/o any resist buffs would be nice indeed.

Vodkafairy

Fledgling Freddie
i think warrior, thane and savage all are very good bodyguarders o_O

warrior has more det, more survivability and more melee damage

thane has ranged (and some insta) interrupts that can make a huge difference if used right, even tho you cant cast while bging.. gg mythic

savage has insane raw dmg output but lower survivability

id go for the savage, but warrior/thane isn't so far apart i think :)

Knolan

Fledgling Freddie
Vodkafairy said:
but warrior/thane isn't so far apart i think :)

it will be as soon as mythic decides to keep those heavy tank changes and make em live.

thanes will be made even MORE useless then they were.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom