Texture problems...

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Hi, I'd like to know what causes this, this, this and this please. :(

It's not just GTA it does it in either, FarCry has issues with shadows on vehicles (it just draws a big black square around them). I also had problems with Half Life 2 but it seems to be ok now.

Geforce 6800 Ultra - at the moment the GPU core temp is 61c (normally low-mid 50's) and ambient is 47c.

Any help is appreciated as this is really starting to piss me off. :)

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi caLLous

Try VampiiricMist's suggestion and install the latest Forceware 77.77 drivers and ensure that your games have the latest available patch. This usually fixes the majority of problems. Additionally, if you're overclocking the card then try restoring the default settings.

Kind Regards

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
tbh I have the same probs with farcry. I'm running the 7777 drivers and my sli setup isn't overclocked :(

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hey TdC

You have two 7800 GTs? Lucky you :D As for Far Cry problems, are you running the 1.33 version? As far as I know this and the latest 77.77 drivers should fix things. There were some problems way back with Far Cry that I recall, but the patches should have resolved these (emphasis on the should, hehe :)).

Kind Regards

TdC

yeah, I have two now :) I've forbidden myself to buy more poota parts this year ;)

though an 8ms tft in a 1600x1200 native rez to replace my H481s seems like a plan now. most games run perfectly fine, but FarCry is refusing to play nice, even with the 1.33 patch and nVidea's 77.77 drivers :/

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hey Teedles

Sorry to hear about your troubles, especially as Far Cry is a 'The Way It's Meant To Be Played' game (I'm presumed CryTech and nVidia didn't intend graphical corruption anyway ;)). As for the monitor, sounds very nice, especially with most 7800/SLI benefits coming at higher resolutions.

You may want to try Guru 3D or nV News's forums etc. I'm sure there's a solution out there :)

Sorry I can't be of more help

Kind Regards

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Well it's reassuring that someone else has one of my problems. :)

My Dell 2405FPW arrived two days ago and it's incredible, I downloaded some nasa hdtv videos from somewhere ages ago and they look... immense. :)

TdC

yeah Cal, for me too. sadly methinks it really is a driver thing, cos it happens in the vanilla FarCry, the patched one to 1.33 and it's survived a re-install of the game and of doze itself.

what's the rest of your system like? is it nForce4 like mine? are you running the 666 chipset drivers too?

Draylor

Part of the furniture
So this started happening when you got the new display (and started running at higher resolutions) without any other hardware/driver changes being made at the same time?

TdC

I don't know about Callous, but for me it happened thusly: I installed FarCry into my new system (forceware 77.77, chipset drivers 666 (iirc)), didn't patch it, just fired it up and played. exactly the distortion that Cal has (see his screenie).

then I reinstalled windows, patched, drivers (same 77.77 and 666 ones from nVidia), installed FC, patched the game to 1.33 and started it up. same distortion occurs. both with a single 7800gt and in sli mode.

I'm not too fussed as I really just play BF2 these days, and got FC with my gfx card, but I've never played FC before and wanted to see what the fuss was about. also, and I didn't mention this before, but the wall textures seem unnaturally bright in dark places like in the aircraft carrier. it's almost like they're glowing. the mercs are normal, but the walls seem covered in luminescent lichen :/

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Well, I originally thought that the problems in GTA and Farcry were sort of connected, but patching to 1.32 in Farcry has seemed to fix it to full loveliness - I went from vanilla to 1.3 to 1.31 to 1.32. Did you install all the patches up to the 1.33 tdc? 1.3 in particular looks like a pretty major update (75mb).

Relevant specs are:

P4 3.8ghz,
2gb of Corsair DDR2 533mhz,
256mb Geforce 6800 Ultra PCI-E,
Abit Fatal1ty AA8XE.

No n-force here I'm afraid. :)

When I tried running GTA on the new monitor it refused to start but deleting the gta_sa.set file solved it. But it's still looking yuk. It's looked yuk since I bought the graphics card by the way (when it was running at 1280x1024), this isn't linked to running at the new resolution. :(

TdC

yeah matey. if I have time I'm going to (re)install it one more go, and otherwise live with it :/ BF2 if going to consume all my life it seems :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom