Tescos Website

Dukat

Resident Freddy
I noticed today that the tescos website has changed. (not certain how long it has been 'changed', its new to me though)

www.tesco.co.uk

I notice this because about a month ago I was working to develop a website for a company, the owner of which respected tesco's immensely and wanted to learn everything possible from the way in which they do things(notice I say learn from, as opposed to copy shamelessly ;)), so it was only logical for him to look at this website when starting to think about what he wanted his own to look like.

I personally hated the old tescos website, it had far too much text on it for my liking, reminded me alot of a phone directory because of the way the website just had section headers with text links below it. Simple and I guess effective in its way but I really didnt like its style much at all.

The new tescos website looks - in my (relatively inexperienced) opinion - alot more professional, I think that the way the hovermenu's work is particularly effective and I was, overall, very impressed by the change.

What do you guys think about it? Obviously I am alot more inexperienced at web dev than alot of you, as I'm near enough fresh out of college, with only one 'proper' 'proffesional' peice of work to my name.

Interested to hear your thoughts.

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
It's not bad, using lists for menus and lots of white space is very 'in' at the moment. The only thing I don't really like about it, which has nothing to do with the design, is the the contact page has no email address or form to fill in. I think for any company this is a bit lacking, but for a big company like Tescos it's somewhat rediculous.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
personally I dislike the fact that jsut about everything on the front page is clickable. but tbh I guess that's good from a marketing pov :)

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
I like it, I just wish they'd change the crappy online shopping bit so it actually works properly.

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
SheepCow said:
I like it, I just wish they'd change the crappy online shopping bit so it actually works properly.
Exactly, it's like someone high up in Tesco has decided they need to move with the times and have an online store, but they just have bothered to follow it through properly. The fact that you can only contact them by phone or normal mail through their contact page sort of demonstrates this.

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
Personally I think the drop down menus are messy. The pop up when you hover over very un-navigation like images, it doesn't look quite joined together which is rather disorientation.

Personally, I found the way the Store Locator function is squashed down incredibly annoying. I wanted to know where the nearest Tesco was to my new flat and, whilst I'll admit to being a bit sleepy at the time (I tend to look past things when I get sleepy) it took me bloody ages to find! Last I checked Tesco was still a shop and I think the Store Locator should be rather more prominent.

I suspect it is better than the old one though, just still has some way to go.

Ben

Padwah

Fledgling Freddie
I kinda like it, but it doesn't really grab me, I think its got a bit too much whitespace and it doesn't really show off the brand/identity too well. But its biggest downfall is the fact that the design is not consistant throughout the entire site, as soon as you go to actually do something you're back to the old school Tescos site.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
i do all my grocery shopping on there and dont really have much of a problem with it, though the special offers arent always listed in the special offers section, also "back" doesnt always work when you are browsing sub menus so you have to click each main section again.

Gef

Fledgling Freddie
Its almost identical to the old one, save a few bits here and there and the splash page, which tbh wasnt needed, extra clicks and all that. The big change is that is all now standards compliant, the old one was primarily tables, no small feat for a site that size. GG Tesco..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom