template guide for n00bies

eSo

Can't get enough of FH
ok, so you want to do a template.

PLANNING the template

1. first of all, you need to decide how much you are willing to put in to get it, both hours and plats. ALWAYS finalize your template before you start to pharm or buy anything. but the more you work for the template, more you get out of it. simple. if you are doing a template for an alt and have 10p budget, don't expect to cap everything. but if you have no restrictions or limits, do the template first and THEN see what it'll cost.

2. set goals, what you want from the template. my personal minimun caster template requirements are atleast 8% damage, 10% casting speed, 100 dex, 100 int. i also aim for capping con at 75, capping skills and hitpoints, and getting decent, atleast 20+ resists. but that's just an example - always decide what YOU want in a template. don't compare it to other templates too much. templates are personal. also remember that you cannot have it all. no, even if you have the most expensive, most rare items in game, you just can't get everything. atleast with current items. we all casters dream of 100dex/100int/100con, 10% damage 10% casting speed, 25% range 25% power 10% passive pierce capped hp/resists, but let's get real - there is no way to get it. we need to priorizise. and how do we priorisize? well that's up to you - that's what makes your template personal. some like damage more than casting speed, some like range more than hitpoints.

3. the more arty restrictions or item requirements you set for your template, the harder it will be to get more out of it. if you want arty X and arty Y in, but definatelly dont want item Z on the jewel slot and still you want to use this superb cloak what has cool skin on it, it rips of a LOT from the template. make the template by what stats you need in it, not by what items you'd like to see in it. still, if you aim for any good template, you need certain must-have items in it. i'll get back to this later.

PREPARATIONS

1. calculator. in this step by step thang we will use Kort's. i always use it anyway ;) download it here-> Kort's Spellcrafting Calculator and install it. Loki'sspellcrafting program is also very popular, you can get your hands on that one from here-> LOKI

2. item database. you can download item database for Kort's calculator from here -> item database.
i installed it once but the stats were very wrong and there were soooo many unuseful items that i did my own database. it isn't that much of a work tbh. you can nicely browse items and stats from allakhazam, then save the item stats after you've inserted the info to your template. allakhazam is a good site for items, but for artifacts vision of sages is much better. a great site for all items and artifacts is ethinarg's, where you can find a very useful filter to find the missing piece (item) for your puzzle (template).

3. time. making a template can be time consuming. especially finding the last 2-3 pieces. sometimes you end up starting all over again. patience, it'll come out fine with time.

MAKING the template.

1. ok so here we go. so you have your SC calc in front of you know, blank slots, race, class and realm selected. now it is time to insert your first items to the template. ALWAYS start from the most obvious ones, if there is any. not sure about tanks, but imo maddening scalars is a must-have for any caster because of it's utility. i mean think about it;

Hands
Name: Maddening scalars (caster)
Level: 51 Quality: 100
AF: Bonus:
Effect 1: 40 Hits
Effect 2: 15 Dexterity
Effect 3: 15 Intelligence
Effect 4: 6 Power Percentage Bonus
Effect 5: 3 Casting Speed Bonus
Effect 6: 5 Dexterity Cap Increase
Effect 7: 5 Intelligence Cap Increase

see? the casting speed and cap increases alone make the gloves superb. BUT. still nothing on those gloves that you can't get from some other items.

2. now let's think something that really can't be gained from several items. actually there is only 2 bonuses like this - damage bonus (both melee and magic) and piercing bonus. magic damage bonus can be obtained only from 4 items, atleast so far. they are Guard of valor, Nailah's robe, Gem of lost memories and Tartaro's Gift. Tanks will gain their damage bonus (melee) from GoV, Eirene's Hauberk,Golden Scarab vest,Golm, Crocodile tooth dagger and Aten's shield.

Other wanted bonus, the Passive piercing, reduces 5% resists from the target. these are even less of these items - 4 in total. 4 for casters and 1 for tanks.
Atlantis tablet for any class and Eriny's charm, Jacina's sash and Traldor's oracle for casters only.

3. other bonuses. now it might be a good time to insert the rest of the bonuses needed. maybe some dexterity cap increase or extra style damage for your new vampiir. you'll have to do a bit research now. allakhazam is a good site to find everything, also browsing ME while logged in ain't a bad idea. browse and google your way through the net and check out other templates. might take a little time but hey - i never said this will be easy ;) always try to fill the jewelry slots first, as you can craft your armor and replace the missing stats. it is much harder to save the last empty slot for jewel and trying to find something that fits. that's not the way to go. so this is the order:
must-haves > cap items > bonus items > drops > crafted > rogs.
always save the crafted stuff last, and jewelry always goes in first.

4. examples ok so now we want the wtfpwning 10% damage 10% passive pierce 10% casting speed template for our new bainshee!!! or we'll try atleast. lurikeen as a race i guess... and umm... here we go!

let's start. ok for damage we take GoV, Tartaros and Golm. not much choices huh?) so that'll be 4%+5%+3% = 12%. 2% overcapped but we it's either 9% or 10% with 2% overcap, right? ok, so we have now chest, staff and jewel slot taken. ok, so now we move to passive pierce. ok so jacina's will go to the belt slot... and hmm. can't use eriny or tablet because goml is there. let's use traldors! oh wait, we have tartaros as a staff... well i prefer to lose that 1% by ditching goml, i'll use eriny there! ok ok! now we have 9% damage and 10% pierce (got the point? it's just not possible to max it all). so so far we have:

Config Report
Stats
Str:15
Int:45
Dex:15
Con:15
Hits:80
Power:0

Resists
Body:0
Energy:10 (5)
Crush:10 (5)
Cold:0
Matter:0
Thrust:0
Heat:0
Spirit:5
Slash:0

Skills
3 ALL magic skills

Focus
50 ALL focus

Cap Increases

5 Int
5 Dex
5 Power
5 Str

Other Bonuses

6 Spell Duration Bonus
6 Buff Bonus
5 Debuff Bonus
5 Archery Damage Bonus
14 Spell Range Bonus
4 Spell Damage Bonus
14 Power Percentage Bonus

Piece Listing

Chest

Name: Guard of Valor (caster)
AF: Bonus:
Effect 2: 15 Intelligence
Effect 3: 5 Intelligence Cap Increase
Effect 4: 15 Dexterity
Effect 5: 15 Strength
Effect 6: 5 Dexterity Cap Increase
Effect 7: 5 Strength Cap Increase
Effect 8: 4 Spell Range Bonus
Effect 9: 4 Spell Damage Bonus

Name: Tartaros gift
DPS: Bonus:
Effect 1: 15 Intelligence
Effect 2: 50 All Focus Bonus
Effect 3: 40 Hits
Effect 4: 3 All Magic Skill Bonus
Effect 5: 6 Power Percentage Bonus
Effect 6: 5 Spell Damage Bonus
Utility: 66.00

Jewel
Name: Eriny's charm
Bonus:
Effect 2: 15 Intelligence
Effect 3: 15 Constitution
Effect 4: 5 Crush Resist
Effect 5: 5 Spirit Resist
Effect 6: 5 Spell Range Bonus
Effect 7: 5 Debuff Bonus
Effect 8: 5 Energy Resist
Utility: 60.00

Belt
Name: Jacina's Sash
Bonus:
Effect 1: 6 Buff Bonus
Effect 2: 6 Spell Duration Bonus
Effect 3: 5 Power Percentage Bonus
Effect 4: 5 Power Cap Increase
Effect 5: 5 Archery Damage Bonus
Effect 6: 5 Spell Range Bonus
Utility: 0.00

hey not bad for a start! now let's get some casting speed! hmm we have none so far... maybe i'll put in scalars now, they have 3% and some cap increases and stats aside there. cloudsong has 5%! i want that too!. so that makes us...

Str:15
Int:72
Dex:30
Con:15
Hits:160
Power:0

Resists

Body:0
Energy:10 (5)
Crush:10 (5)
Cold:0
Matter:0
Thrust:0
Heat:0
Spirit:5
Slash:0

Skills

3 ALL magic skills

Focus

50 ALL magic

Cap Increases
15 Int
10 Dex
5 Str
10 Power

Other Bonuses

6 Spell Duration Bonus
11 Buff Bonus
5 Debuff Bonus
5 Archery Damage Bonus
14 Spell Range Bonus
9 Spell Damage Bonus
8 Casting Speed Bonus
8 AF Bonus
22 Power Percentage Bonus

looking good! only missing 2% casting speed and gaining some nice extras aside there. like 22% power. yeah baby, we rock. now... where do we get that 2%... let's try to spend these jewel slots first. what choices we have? necklace! oh wait, maybe i'll try to squeeze paidrean there as it is one of the best neckies in game and i have it already. ring of torrent maybe? yeah, it has ownage resists too! done, now it's capped too! then we want to get some cap bonuses to int and dex, right?! so let's see... jewel slots... immolated ring! dang, that thing is expensive. oh well might be worth it....

heh ok so maybe this will help you as starters. don't be shy to ask questions or help if you come up with something. good luck with your tempate, remember to have patience and also remember that you cannot have it all! :D

eSo

Can't get enough of FH
made this quite long time ago to our guild forums. i know that some things (like links or stats) could be out-dated, but feel free to correct anything you find wrong here. also don't be afraid to question or critisize the post, won't get offended! i hope that this will help some atleast.

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
Very nice guide eSo,

eSo said:
make the template by what stats you need in it, not by what items you'd like to see in it.

Thats the only bit I would disagree with. Its a good rule for general template builiding, but doesnt take into account some items having uses that makeup for a lack of UV. I start my templates by deciding on a set of items that form the core, and progress from there, and as you say yourself any good tempalate will have a couple of such items, so perhaps you have contradicted yourself?

Kaun_IA

Fledgling Freddie
wow, nice post. very good post, one thing tho, i allways put in items i really want to see in a template so yeah that kinda suxx but thats the way i do it.

REP point for u

eSo

Can't get enough of FH
you're right guys, i wasn't quite exact what i actually meant. this is what i was trying to say:

templatewanter: hi eSo! could you do me a template?
eSo: sure if i have the time. what's supposed to be innit?
templatewanter: well i'd like wtfpwning 10% cast speed/damage/pierce 100 dex/in capped hits resists leetstuff toabonuses tothebatmobiletemplate!
eSo: hmm ok we can try, i assume money is no problemo?
templatewanter: ofc not!
eSo: goodie, i'll let you know how it goes.
templatewanter: there's one more requirement tho!
eSo: w0tsdat?
templatewanter: i'd like my rog staff innit!
eSo: ah, good stats innit?
templatewanter: not really, 2 hp cap and +6 parry, but it looks teh c00L!!!1
eSo: sigh...

Ocalinn

Fledgling Freddie
just 1 question.. since when does GoV have 15 str and 5 str cap for a caster? ive seen it in almost ALL hib caster templates

eSo

Can't get enough of FH
Ocalinn said:
just 1 question.. since when does GoV have 15 str and 5 str cap for a caster? ive seen it in almost ALL hib caster templates

since day one. str for valewalkers etc.

anioal

Fledgling Freddie
Ocalinn said:

i have gov on my chanter and it has +15 str, +5 str cap and 4% melee damage bonus :p (and the rest of the caster stats/bonuses ofc)

Jai13

Fledgling Freddie
Jai13: hi eSo! could you do me a template?
eSo: sure if i have the time. what's supposed to be innit?
Jai13: easy and cheap to get nice resists capped piety and dex/dex cap if poss. Passive pierce and magic dmg
eSo: hmm ok we can try, i assume money is no problemo?
templatewanter: ofc it is
eSo: goodie, i'll let you know how it goes.
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom