teh thing!

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Things have played this very well, I was fearful for my compatriots after the whole teedles debacle but they have pulled through very well. It is getting better now the players understand the rules.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Hey Ch3t - I agree so far.... it is a very different dynamic from werewolf, and to be honest I hadn't read the thread until Will asked me to step in and mod... the thing that makes it so dynamic is the fact that friend can become foe overnight so people need to re-assess everyone's comments on a daily basis!

GG so far :)

Malecheon

Fledgling Freddie
The things are going to win because there aren't enough clues as to who's infected, so it's becomes a game of random tests and hoping to get lucky.

Will

/bin/su
I'm thinking of introducing a seer/doctor/vigilante set of roles to the game. And playing with a smaller group, 9-11 maybe.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
The things are going to win because there aren't enough clues as to who's infected, so it's becomes a game of random tests and hoping to get lucky.

Idd, its kinda simple maths - if a thing isnt caught vvv early, then cycling our votes around cant catch up with their spreading speed. Especially if the thingies try and get people double tested to waste tests.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
/drifts in

i dont know how the Thing works, for picking targets and communicating, etc

a thought however occured:

you have original "daddy" thing
you have people it infects

if the daddy is the only one who can infect, then how about he knows who hes infected, but why should they know who the others are...
so all the things only know they and their infecter are things, not who the others are - so less of a block develops ?

or to make it a bit easier, they know They are, their Infector is, and the previous person it Infected ?

/dribble

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
ooo that sounds quite fun mabs.

Will

/bin/su
I like it. A lot. I'm thinking one main thing, who chooses who to infect, and baby things who only know the main thing.

So, the questions that spring to mind are :

Does infection stop when Daddy Thing is killed?

Would it work better as a chain, so you get the thing plague, pass it on, etc? Would this then end infection if you killed the fresh thing?

Does this leave a place for further roles?

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
I like it. A lot. I'm thinking one main thing, who chooses who to infect, and baby things who only know the main thing.

So, the questions that spring to mind are :

Would it work better as a chain, so you get the thing plague, pass it on, etc? Would this then end infection if you killed the fresh thing?

if Daddy Thing is killed, flip a coin, heads it stops, tails it doesnt
and if tails, choose the longest surviving member as the new Daddy ?

on top of that, as far as the killings go, dont let people know if it was an original or new one so we dont know if there are more conversions going on

Will

/bin/su
No coin flipping. It needs to be set in stone, otherwise it doesn't fit with how I view these games. Since tests don't kill, stopping the ability to recruit would be the end of the game, so thinking about it more, that should never happen.

taB

Part of the furniture
Daddy thing could have two lives, first test reveals nothing but neuters it and no more procreation perhaps? Second test kills.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
:

youngest Thing infects, Daddy thing creates a new thing if youngest thing dies. if Daddy thing dies, oldest surviving Thing becomes daddy?

This could potentially eliminate inter-Thing communication btw.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Daddy thing could have two lives, first test reveals nothing but neuters it and no more procreation perhaps? Second test kills.

there will be no winning if this happens.

Malecheon

Fledgling Freddie
youngest Thing infects, Daddy thing creates a new thing if youngest thing dies. if Daddy thing dies, oldest surviving Thing becomes daddy?

This could potentially eliminate inter-Thing communication btw.

Omg, I was thinking almost exactly the same thing. Someone help me, I'm starting to think like TdC. Un-clean, un-clean

I was thinking each thing can only infect once, and they only know their sire, plus the person they themselves choose to infect, resulting in little groups, but never one big group working together.

The daddy can re-infect someone if the youngest dies and he is still alive, making the objective to kill the daddy and the youngest to prevent any more infections.

If a thing tries to infect another thing by mistake, it kills the target but leaves the youngest able to try again the following night.

Will

/bin/su
Thats good, but quite complex tbh. I had a simpler idea.

Dad thing hands out all infections. If he is killed, infection stops, and the game moves to phase two.

Phase two, the oldest thing kills instead of infects. This continues until they are all eliminated.

This leaves potential room for further doc/seer type roles as well.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Yeah that works better, the problem with it running as a chain or cell system is that the forums PM system does not mask recepients, it would be time consuming and complex once there are quite a few things.

Will

/bin/su
It does. Thats what BCC is for, and how I send out villager PMs for the WW games.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Ahh cool :)

Well then, ignore my last post.

I really think you need to clarify the rules for teh thing. No one seems to undertsand how it works still.

Will

/bin/su
It was a bit of a trial game, and then I went on holiday. I'm still not totally sure how I'm going to run the next one, I'm waiting on feedback from the current game.

Tbh, the mechanic works a bit better than Werewolf, since people are less likely to die early on. I might stick with it for a while and try to refine it.

Current ideas
  • Two phase game, recruitment then killing
  • 11 players
  • Seer/doctor roles

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
It was a bit of a trial game, and then I went on holiday. I'm still not totally sure how I'm going to run the next one, I'm waiting on feedback from the current game.

Tbh, the mechanic works a bit better than Werewolf, since people are less likely to die early on. I might stick with it for a while and try to refine it.

Current ideas
  • Two phase game, recruitment then killing
  • 11 players
  • Seer/doctor roles

I have pondered clarifying the position a bit more as I've been running it, but shiewd away from any changes so we have a constant from which to work.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
plightstar is officially more of a muppet than jup after todays post :)

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
imho thing with roles is just diluted wolf. Roles wouldn't add anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom