Tablet PC (again)

Laddey

FH is my second home
Yo again.

So in my previous threads i stated i'm going to buy an ipad 2...Naaa...I'm gonna give it a miss as no USB and viewing movies is difficult as you need to convert etc etc.

So im after a tablet that has

3G + Wifi
I can transfer movies from my laptop straight on to my tablet, or even better download them straight on to my tablet.
Gaming is meh, maybe the odd final fantasy game to kill some time.
Must look great, they all do now though.

price range around £500

Any suggestions you helpful bunch?

soze

I am a FH squatter
Bloke in work just got the new Samsung Tab 7.7 it is very nice the screen is sharp and it is very speedy so defiantly worth consideration.

soze

I am a FH squatter
It also feels underpowered considering its a quad core. It does look smart though :)

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
a coworker has the transformer. it looks sweet as fook. also, he says both the keyboard and screen have a separate battery, so you get scads of shelf life. allegedly. also, moving to techie forum :p

Laddey

FH is my second home
I forgot about the tech forum!

The transformer would be a major consideration but the lack of 3G is an absolute failure as its a neccesity :(

TdC

you can tether it to your phone I am told. is that not an option? I do that with my lappy all the time!

Laddey

FH is my second home
Didn't think of that actually...

I have an iphone 4s. So this is a possibility!

TdC

also, Amazon seems to be selling the keyboard docking station separately. which sucks, because it's extra costs. boo hiss!

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
http://www.cleverboxes.com/p-157631...h-nvidia-tegra-2-10-ghz-mobile-processor.aspx

I've got the 16Gb one and its lovely, drag and drop movies to your hearts content, download another player off the Android Market if it won't play. Very comfortable to use for extended periods and always stays reposnsive and smooth. The gaming part is awesome, and it supports DualShock 3 controllers and SD cards too. Odd weird glitch thanks to Android, but otherwise spot on in my experience.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Laddey said:
Didn't think of that actually...

I have an iphone 4s. So this is a possibility!

Another thing to look at is the MiFi by Three they are awesome. They create a little wireless hotspot for up to 5 devices. I have one from work with my iPad as it was cheaper than getting the 3G model.

Laddey

FH is my second home
sony s tablet purchased...now to figure out how to drop my dvds from my laptop on to my tablet. no doubt will need converting etc. thanks guys

soze

I am a FH squatter
Nope no converting you just need need the right app and they will play off the bat. Check out the Android app thread I do not know what the latest greatest media app is.

Laddey

FH is my second home
too many posts in the thread. must say this tablet is dogshit slow ! my iphone is miles faster

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Laddey; you really are an impulse buyer aren't you?

Why not test things in the stores before buying?

Laddey

FH is my second home
you really think you can test items in store to the extent i want? Start downloading apps, transfering data fom my laptop/phone? i done research and decided this is what i wanted. i tested it before i tried it and the interface etc was great. i get it home start doing my things and then u only realise its nit what you want

im sat 1 meter from my router, ive adjusted the input type in the settings and the words take 30 seconds to appear.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Are words your typing taking 30 secs to appear or just the web loading slow? If even built in apps are taking 30 seconds then i would say you could take it back to the shop. But i would factory reset it first to make sure it just did not load badly.

TdC

turn off java enablement in the browser or something

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
It's a bit late now, but I would have pointed you towards a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 3G.
http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mobiles/mobile-phones/SAMSUNG_GALAXY_TAB_10_3G_16GB/HANDSET
£450 from CPW. Chances are you can find it cheaper from other online sources.

I pointed Mum towards the non-3G version for just under £300 and she'll be having it delivered tomorrow.
I've said before I'm trialling a BB Playbook for work and work's BB phone is only GPRS/EDGE (no 3G). I set my Desire to be a wifi hotspot and the PB links without a problem. My wife's Archos tablet links ok, so I would be surprised if other tablets weren't just as easy to link.

Laddey

FH is my second home
soze said:
Are words your typing taking 30 secs to appear or just the web loading slow? If even built in apps are taking 30 seconds then i would say you could take it back to the shop. But i would factory reset it first to make sure it just did not load badly.

The web is loading slow mate. I turned the phrase suggestions off and its still super slow.

Cheers tdc ill have a look.

The returns policy is fairly good if you change your mind about the product you have 7 days to return it. I'll give it another spin. Just dont want to keep it if its not absolutely perfect. It set me back 400+.

Thanks all

soze

I am a FH squatter
The web is loading slow mate. I turned the phrase suggestions off and its still super slow.

Cheers tdc ill have a look.

The returns policy is fairly good if you change your mind about the product you have 7 days to return it. I'll give it another spin. Just dont want to keep it if its not absolutely perfect. It set me back 400+.

Thanks all
If you have the 3G one it might be worth turning off 3g to make sure its not routing over that while you have crap signal?

Laddey

FH is my second home
I tried soze. I wasn't actually signed up to any data plans anyway but turned it off and still really sluggish. I also done a factory reset, was fine until I opened the browser and then a repeat performance of sluggish, slow loads etc.

Cheers dude

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I tried soze. I wasn't actually signed up to any data plans anyway but turned it off and still really sluggish. I also done a factory reset, was fine until I opened the browser and then a repeat performance of sluggish, slow loads etc.

Cheers dude

Which browser? Switch to Opera or Dolphin. Also check whether there are any firmware updates due.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
you really think you can test items in store to the extent i want? Start downloading apps, transfering data fom my laptop/phone? i done research and decided this is what i wanted. i tested it before i tried it and the interface etc was great. i get it home start doing my things and then u only realise its nit what you want

im sat 1 meter from my router, ive adjusted the input type in the settings and the words take 30 seconds to appear.

I would say there's an issue with yours somewhere, as mine is just as fast as an Ipad 2 (I now have one of those as well through work), and the keyboard is even more responsive. Sometimes takes a while to connect to Wireless, but that's the only glitch I can think of.

Make sure you are on the updated software, you should be on Honeycomb 3.2.1.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Trying another browser is a good call there are a lot of reports that the default one is a bit pants on the Sony but the reviews suggest gaming ect more than makes up for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom