system32\hosts\etc

throdgrain

FH is my second home
I get an error on my laptop when running AVG, it says the above has been changed.

Ive just checked my PC and it says the same thing. In this hosts file is a list of dodgy websites that have been blocked by Spybot (I think). It says its not a virus, so what is it? And if it's not a virus why is it reporting it?

Odd ...

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi throdgrain

The hosts file basically overrides the normal DNS lookup when browsing the web. For example, you could edit your hosts file so 'freddyshouse.com' actually points to Google's servers, therefore whenever you tried to access FreddysHouse you'd end up at Google (an odd example, but you get what I mean).

The danger comes if malware alters your hosts file. For example, it could redirect 'paypal.com' to a phishing website and the user would be none the wiser (although modern browsers would hopefully detect what's going on).

You can of course use the hosts file for legitimate purposes, like blocking bad websites, but you need to be careful exactly what is being changed. Chances are Spybot is blocking websites, but AVG can only 'see' that the hosts file has been changed, so it flags it up as a warning.

In short, if you think everything is okay, just ignore the error.

Kind regards

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Hmm, a little concerned, but it does say at the end - This list is Copyright 2000-2008 Safer Networking Limited
# End of entries inserted by Spybot - Search & Destroy

Which seems ok to me :) All the ip addresses are 127.0.0.1

Ho hum :)

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Don't worry throdgrain, like inactionman says, 127.0.0.1 ('localhost') is just your computer. Everything should be fine.

Kind regards

Jonty

P.S. As an aside, I once saw a t-shirt with "There's no place like 127.0.0.1" Geek-tastic :D Edit ~ ThinkGeek

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Phew looks ok then :)

Theres no other address on that other than that one. Still dont know why AVG would pick it up though :confused:

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
Hi Throddy,

Just to echo what the others have said it's nothing to worry about.

From what I remember Spybot modifies and creates a copy of the file to help prevent it being modified by viruses/malware. AVG has picked this up on mine before. I think if you just tell Spybot to add blocked sites to the list but not to actually lock it from changes AVG will stop complaining.

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
It's in advanced options, from memory. On the menu bar up the top you can choose between standard and advanced. Then you get a load more options in the sub menus at the side for dicking about with hosts files, email filtering, process monitoring, boot up options etc.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Yeah I looked at advanced options but havent sorted it because I cant find the right bit. CHeers for the help luvs :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom