System freeze during all 3D games

Tenko

Fledgling Freddie
I'm not in away a tech guy so be gentle :(

Ok since Sunday my PC has been skitzing.

I was playing Neverwinter nights, which I hadnt patched or changed recently when it started freezing for seconds on end, something that hadn't happened before plus black dot graphics glitches.

This now happens in all 3D games (not games like CIVIII however or browsing and other stuff).

I'm a bit lost on what to do or what could be wrong but I have done the following.

Defragged
Run AdAware 6
Updated drivers
Checked system for overheating

No joy.

So there are hundreds of things left to do but I don't have the slightest idea where to start.

(if you need specs, its an 2400xp, gf3 500ti, 512mb, Audigy live. No new kit or system changes immediatly prior to the problem occuring, no updates or patches to any software for nearly a week before the problem)

Not much money if this turns into a need to buy stuff either :(

edit: I actually believe that while switching resolutions in NWN, something which for some reason didnt work (game ctd) , I may have damaged the graphics card. It certainly sounds like the problem lies there to me. But I know nothing

Tenko

Fledgling Freddie
Okay.

Some advice please.

From the above problem, how do I go about checking if my gfx card is broke in someway? Is there a way or some diagnostic I can run?

As the pc seems to be happy doing everything else my problem appears to be gfx hardware or software related but I really don't know how to find out.

I'm probably gonna buy a new gfx card anyway (and swap from nvidia to ati while doing so) which would change both, but I'd like to know for sure anyway.

Doomy

Fledgling Freddie
I had issues with NWN (1fps type behaviour) with the latest detonator drivers. Roll back if you can, this may sort it and sorry if its a no brainer but all is fine in NWN now.

RandomBastard

Can't get enough of FH
Dont know if this is of any help to you. But i recently had problems with my graphics being very weird, and this was due to heat problems caused by a severe dust build up in the heat sink (enough to entirly block the hsf so the fan was merely slightly sucking air off the hs instead of blowing on to it) try checking fans and things in your pc.

As for testing your hardware, things like 3dmark might shed some light on possible performance holes. but i dont know of any diagnostic packages (although macafee used to do one called nuts and bolts? and i think norton might have one in its system utillities jobbies)

Hope some of this helps.

Tenko

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks Doomy, I was gonna try that, even though unlike most peeps who've had probs with NWN I was playing it fine with the latest update and HotU installed.

And Random, knowing the state of my PC last time I had the back off thats almost to bloody likely to be the problem with mine as well!

Will have a look this evening.

Thanks guys

Doomy

Fledgling Freddie
Tenko said:
Thanks Doomy, I was gonna try that, even though unlike most peeps who've had probs with NWN I was playing it fine with the latest update and HotU installed. Thanks guys

Same as me... I have run it before, it seems as if its nothing to do with the 1.61 patch, its just crazy assed odd problem, at least in my case it was.

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Look at the sound card drivers too, I have had similar issues with games like NWN that have been solved by either disabling the sound or the enhanced features.

Tenko

Fledgling Freddie
Wahey!

Well I think I know the problem but a solution please.

The Damn fan on the GF3 Ti500 ain't spinning!!

No fan = hot gfx card = shitty artifacts and freeze frame.

So this easy to fix boys?

edit: well I've whipped the fan off and will go to Maplin tommorrow... or maybe not.

Microdirect is just down the road and a "broke " gfx card seems a good reason to convince the wife of the need to go buy a shiny new 9600xt ;)

RandomBastard

Can't get enough of FH
To fix it you will have to buy a replacement hsf of which there anre many on the market in the name of noise/coolness so take your pick, as for fitting it the more reptuable brand are likly to come with instructions (zalman, coolermaster etc) you will need thermal adhesive (if its not supplied with it) and possibly some thermal compound to mix down the adhesive so its not so strong so if neccesary you could remove it in future.

Ive never done this myself but someone was saying the best way to remove a glued down hs is to run it at load for a while then turn it off and lever it off but prehaps someone else can help on this issue.

Or you could just buy the new gfx card :p

Tenko

Fledgling Freddie
or you could do what I did...

Go to Microdirect and buy a spanking new Radeon 9600xt :)

Very efficient and effective method and by a wierd coincidence its made my games play better too. Fancy that!

As I told the wife, it was the only thing I could do really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom