Syria 'shot down Turkish fighter jet'

Aada

Part of the furniture
If this is true it could be the catalyst for international force to remove Assad?

Turkey/Syria relations are tense as it is.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
If this is true it could be the catalyst for international force to remove Assad?

Turkey/Syria relations are tense as it is.

It's tricky, no doubt. Russia will have thier own way though, if Assad goes it will only happen because Russia allow it and he is replaced by thier #1 choice whoever that may be.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Where did you get the news btw? Can't see it on BBC or Huffington Post yet.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Well they've been saying for an hour or 2 that a Turkish jet has gone missing near the Syrian border. Its certainly not going to help relations if it's true.

Aada

Part of the furniture
Where did you get the news btw? Can't see it on BBC or Huffington Post yet.

It's been all over the BBC news since mid afternoon been following it closely to see if they find the pilots alive.

Will be interesting to see how it was brought down Syria have AA missile batteries deployed all over their country right now, or it could be the Syrian Air Force.

Just now Syria confirm they shot down the jet over their territory. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-18561219

Yrendan

Can't get enough of FH
It is true Syria shot down one of the two turkish F-4E flying over Syrian air space with a S300PMU2

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Syria will turn into another Bosnia. Everyone will be wringing their hands until its too late. Only afterwards will governments feign shock over the mass graves.

Anyone notice there is virtually no news about Libya now that the oil companies are nicely settled in?

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
It's been all over the BBC news since mid afternoon been following it closely to see if they find the pilots alive.

Will be interesting to see how it was brought down Syria have AA missile batteries deployed all over their country right now, or it could be the Syrian Air Force.

Just now Syria confirm they shot down the jet over their territory. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-18561219

Odd, it has not come up on my feed, will look into it. Thanks.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Syria will turn into another Bosnia. Everyone will be wringing their hands until its too late. Only afterwards will governments feign shock over the mass graves.

Anyone notice there is virtually no news about Libya now that the oil companies are nicely settled in?

This is more about the Russian naval base, they will not risk losing control of a base with such high strategic value. Otherwise Assad would be long dead instead of Russia resupplying him with ammunition.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Waters off Latakia province, right on the border. Will be interesting to see how far he had breached Syrian airspace.

Aada

Part of the furniture
Syria said the jet was flying low and very fast maybe that prompted them to shoot it down as they might have thought it was on a attack mission?

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
It is grounds to attack yes, low and fast is considered a threatening posture along a border, nevermind when crossing a border. This could be something fucking sneaky to stitch Syria up, a way to get the U.N. to act or more likely a way for NATO to act without proper U.N. approval yet again.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Information seems some what mixed so probably best to wait for a while, either way it is hardly likely to help Turkish-Syrian relations.

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
Russia do seem to hold al the cards ok this one. They don't want anything interfering with their ability to maintain a militry prescense in the middle east if they need to and stopping interference with syria is vital to that

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
It's the end of the world! Peek oill! Terrorists! All doomsay conspiracy stuff in one line!

Dun give a f*c reall, but scouse said i should post in every thread :giggle:

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
It's looking like Syria had every right, they even admit crossing the border but they say it routinely happens because of the speed planes fly at. Well if you look at the graphic Syria put out with the flightpath details it is clearly a provocative flightpath to start with, Turkey could easily fly for the same effect 5-10 miles further north. It's thier own fault.

rynnor

Rockhound
Countries do constantly violate the borders of their neighbours though - they very rarely open fire.

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
not surprising that the Syrian military will have itchy trigger fingers at the moment though is it. It's not exactly the most tranquil of countries to fly over atm.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Once staunch allies, now shooting at each other. Ah well...

Dun give a f*c reall, but scouse said i should post in every thread :giggle:

And you're managing to live up to that. Especially in threads you don't give a fuck about and amazingly even before I said you should!

We could, of course, have an unwritten assumption that you've posted already...and probably don't really give a fuck?

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Countries do constantly violate the borders of their neighbours though - they very rarely open fire.

No, they push the bounderies but not when a country is in the midst of what is in effect a civil war. Turkey knew exactly what they were doing and the risks involved.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
So the plane was inside Syrian airspace but was shot down outside Syrian airspace. Now Hague has waded in and called it an outrageous act.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
He would. What will we do about any of it? Nothing.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Fuck Hague, Turkey violated sovereign airspace, fuck me does anyone remember the fuss the U.K. created when Russia was flying right up to our North Sea airspace a few years back? We bitched and moaned, rightly so, yet they never actually entered our airspace. The Turkish plane was well over the border at high speed and low altitude, any sovereign nation drops the fucker into the sea. This is just another case of NATO looking for a reason to get involved or ramp up the pressure on Russia, I hope they stand firm and don't walk in to such an obvious honeytrap, otherwise it will be Iran next and how many British lives do we lose for that?

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Well I actually think we should step in, as we did with Bosnia.

...that's not to say we should have got involved with Afghanistan or should do Iran, we have no place there.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
It's ok to shoot it down 15 minutes after it's left your airspace? I think you're getting a bit ahead of yourself. Syria are saying they had a right to shoot it down (they would say that) and Turkey are saying it was a radar test and the plane was clearly marked and not showing any hostility (they would say that).

It's utterly pointless taking sides or saying "x was to blame" until somebody a bit more neutral comes up with something conclusive.

It's pretty bloody telling how passive and "wordy" some governments can be when there's nothing in it for them (ie billions of dollars worth of oil).

Chilly

Balls of steel
It's ok to shoot it down 15 minutes after it's left your airspace? I think you're getting a bit ahead of yourself. Syria are saying they had a right to shoot it down (they would say that) and Turkey are saying it was a radar test and the plane was clearly marked and not showing any hostility (they would say that).

It's utterly pointless taking sides or saying "x was to blame" until somebody a bit more neutral comes up with something conclusive.

It's pretty bloody telling how passive and "wordy" some governments can be when there's nothing in it for them (ie billions of dollars worth of oil).

But why should we care? Not our fucking problem.

Aada

Part of the furniture
Regardless of Turkey the international community should be stepping in to remove Assad from power and tell Russia to shut up or fucking do something and they can keep their shitty naval base if that's what they fucking care about.

It's horrific in Syria, your own Government slaughtering it's own people, it's about time someone stepped in all it needs is one country to say we are going to remove him by force and the rest will join in.

Yeah so they shot down some F-4 Vietnam era plane we are better equipped with better missles,bombs that can target their air defences and radar installations.

Like most middle east countries they have a lot of military hardware but most of it doesn't work because they can't maintain the stuff they buy from other countries.

Remove Assad help to get a Government installed and leave them to it like Lybia because they seem to be doing ok now.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Well I actually think we should step in, as we did with Bosnia.

...that's not to say we should have got involved with Afghanistan or should do Iran, we have no place there.

Raven, I get your point and I would love to see the slaughter stop. You have to weigh up the consequences though, a massive civil war and another goverment otherthrown in the name of 'democracy'. If we keep interfering then where does it stop? Here is an idea, let the muslim world sort it out and send troops, that way they can't blame us for yet another crusade and we don't have to piss away tens of billions more that we just cannot afford. Lots of people die every day in the U.K. because treatments are a postcode lottery, let us spend out money sorting that mess out and leave the middle east to it.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Regardless of Turkey the international community should be stepping in to remove Assad from power and tell Russia to shut up or fucking do something and they can keep their shitty naval base if that's what they fucking care about.

It's horrific in Syria, your own Government slaughtering it's own people, it's about time someone stepped in all it needs is one country to say we are going to remove him by force and the rest will join in.

Yeah so they shot down some F-4 Vietnam era plane we are better equipped with better missles,bombs that can target their air defences and radar installations.

Like most middle east countries they have a lot of military hardware but most of it doesn't work because they can't maintain the stuff they buy from other countries.

Remove Assad help to get a Government installed and leave them to it like Lybia because they seem to be doing ok now.

Adaa, it is a very dangerous precedent we set when we do that, you need to think about where that action takes us and believe me it isn't to a good place. It's just more wars and muslim world with even more reason to sucide bomb the snot at us. Jordon and Turkey have massive armies, let them fix it, why is it always us?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom