Synology DSM 4.2 beta

soze

I am a FH squatter
My Synology was one of my smartest buys I am in the process of upgrading to 3tb disks and its so easy :)

I use DS File to watch videos from my NAS as long as they are MP4's they play well.

Embattle

FH is my second home
I did use that but the DS video is nicer with a proper catalogue system which works well with how I already had my video folder setup with my WDTV.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I keep having a problem with my Synology disappearing off the network.

Embattle

FH is my second home
I've had that in the past when file/printer sharing was off for some reason.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
is there any real need to upgrade this if you do nothing exotic at all with your NAS? I mean, I just use it as a big disk, all other services disabled.

Embattle

FH is my second home
New packages are part of it the rest is listed below, probably worth upgrade once 4.2 release comes out:

What’s New in DSM 4.2 Beta

1. LUN Snapshot & Clone
      • LUN Snapshots -- This feature allows you to back up and restore multiple versions of LUNs on your DiskStation with minimal impact on performance.
      • LUN Clone -- Virtual copies of data can now be replicated, allowing you to create identical deployments in different environments or clone an existing LUN snapshot into a new LUN.
      • Available on RS10613xs+, RS3413xs+, DS2413+, DS713+, DS3612xs, RS3412RPxs , RS3412xs, RS2212+, RS2212RP+, DS1812+, DS1512+, RS812RP+, RS812+, DS712+, DS412+, DS3611xs, RS3411RPxs, RS3411xs, RS2211RP+, RS2211+, DS2411+, DS1511+, DS411+II, DS411+, DS1010+, RS810RP+, RS810+, DS710+ only.
    2. Storage Manager
      • Global Hot Spare Disks -- Hard disks can now be designated as hot spare disks, which can repair degraded volumes/Disk Groups/iSCSI LUNs by automatically replacing a failed disk. This feature is only available on RS10613xs+, RX1211RP, RS3413xs+, RS3412xs, RS3412RPxs, RS3411xs, RS3411RPxs, RS2212+, RS2212RP+, RS2211+, RS2211RP+, DS1812+, DS1512+, DS1511+, DS1010+, DS713+, DS712+, DS710+, RS812+, RS812RP+, RS812, RS810+ and RS810RP+.
      • S.M.A.R.T. Test Scheduler -- You can now perform S.M.A.R.T. tests according to your individual schedule. For example, S.M.A.R.T.tests can be scheduled to run monthly or automatically test all of the disks in your DiskStation.
      • Volume Creation and Expansion Enhancements: The speed of volume creation and resizing have been improved up to 14 and 85 times. The chart below is the comparison between DSM 4.1 and DSM 4.2. Only for RS10613xs+, RS3413xs+, DS2413+, DS713+, DS3612xs, RS3412RPxs , RS3412xs, RS2212+, RS2212RP+, DS1812+, DS1512+, RS812RP+, RS812+, DS712+, DS412+, DS3611xs, RS3411RPxs, RS3411xs, RS2211RP+, RS2211+, DS2411+, DS1511+, DS411+II, DS411+, DS1010+, RS810RP+, RS810+, DS710+
    1. File Services for Windows, Mac OS, and Linux
      • SMB2 Protocol Support for Windows File Service -- SMB 2 protocol has general improvements to allow for better network utilization. This feature is not available on DS109j and DS209j.
      • Large MTU Support for SMB2. The Large MTU (maximum transmission unit) option allows users to utilize the network capabilities better and achieve faster transferring speed. You can enable this option through a registry key on Windows computers. This feature is not available on DS109j and DS209j.
      • AFP (Apple File Protocol) Performance Enhancements -- The speed of file transfers to the DiskStation has improved up to 52%. The following is a comparison between DSM 4.1 and DSM 4.2.
      • Network Backup, rsync, and Shared Folder sync -- The performance of these feature has been generally improved when transferring large numbers of folders and files. The following is a comparison between DSM 4.1 and DSM 4.2.
  1. File Station
    • Single Page of Files -- You can now browse up to 1000 files on one single page.
    • Thumbnail View -- Files and pictures can be displayed as large icons or thumbnails of pictures, if available.
    • Hotkeys -- The following keyboard shortcuts have been added in order to simplify file management: Select All (Ctrl + A), Cut (Ctrl + X) , Copy (Ctrl + C), Paste (Ctrl + V), Delete (Delete), Rename (F2).
  2. TFTP & PXE
    • TFTP & PXE -- You can now set up your DiskStation as a TFTP server, allowing clients to retrieve system boot images via TFTP and implement Pre-Boot Execution Environment (PXE). PXE settings are not available on DS109j and DS209j.
  3. Package Center
    • New Design for App Discovery -- You can now browse packages by categories or search for specific packages. Screenshots are included to give you a preview of the app before installing them.
    • Transaction Platform -- Paid and trial versions of packages are available in the new Package Center. Please note, you will need a MyDS Center account in order to purchase paid apps.
    • Integrated with MyDS Center account -- You can now review your purchase history on MyDS Center website.
  4. 2-step Verification & Account Activity
    • 2-step Verification -- This feature adds an extra layer of security to your DSM account. Once 2-step verification is enabled, anyone trying to access your account will need a one-time 6-digit code displayed on your smartphone, in addition to your DSM password.
    • Account Activity -- This feature lets you view your current login session and login history.
  5. Firewall & Security
    • Denial of Service (DoS) Protection -- This option allows you to filter out malicious traffic without interrupting safe traffic. Not available on DS109j and DS209j.
    • Customized Block & Allow IP List for Auto Block -- You can now manually add IP addresses to your Block and Allow lists to protect your network.
  6. LDAP/AD Accounts
    • More Apps for Enterprise Users -- Enterprise users can now enjoy more features of DSM with LDAP or AD accounts. Supported packages includes Cloud Station, Audio Station, Video Station, Mail Server, and Mail Station. Not available on DS109j and DS209j.
  7. Task Scheduler
    • Automate Tasks -- Task Scheduler allows you to schedule and run tasks at pre-defined times. Tasks include running user-defined scripts, cleaning the Recycle Bin on a regular basis, and starting and stopping services, among others.
  8. Disk Usage Report
    • Easily Monitor Storage Usage -- The disk usage report feature displays the following information: the outstanding storage usage of users, the status of volume usage, trends based on past usage, the percentage of disk space that each file type occupies, the size of shared folders, and the largest, most, least frequently modified files.
    • Schedule Report -- You can schedule periodic reports or perform analyses immediately.
  9. Bluetooth Support
    • Stream music with Bluetooth -- You can to connect multiple USB Bluetooth adapters to your DiskStation and connect to A2DP Bluetooth devices, such as speakers or headphones in order to easily stream music stored on your DiskStation. Not available on DS109j and DS209j.
  10. DDNS
    • Support for Multiple DDNS Hosts -- More than one DDNS provider can now be set up and saved at the same time.
  11. QuickConnect
    • More Mobile Support -- QuickConnect now supports more mobile apps, including DS photo+, DS audio, and DS cloud.
  12. Power, Devices and Printers
    • Network UPS Support -- DiskStation now supports connecting to SNMP (Simple Network Management Protocol) UPS devices or network management cards, allowing your DiskStation to enter safe mode based on the status of your network UPS.
    • Network Printer Support -- DSM now supports LPR, IPP, Socket, and BJNP network printers and can share them over the network via AirPrint, Cloud Print, LPR, CIFS, IPP protocols. Windows users can set up network printers shared by DiskStation with the beta version of Synology Assistant.
  13. Wi-Fi Hotspot Enhancements
    • WPA2 Enterprise -- Users can be authenticated by an external RADIUS server when connecting to the wireless hotspot of your DS213air.
    • Wi-Fi Scheduled On/Off -- Save energy by setting a schedule to automatically turn the wireless hotspot on and off.
    • Guest Network -- You can prohibit guests from accessing the local network, seeing other devices, or visiting websites with ports other than default ones, so that the security of your network is never compromised.
    • These features are available on DS213air only
  14. The desktop version of DSM on touch-enabled devices has been enhanced to support more touch events for Safari on iPhone, iPad and Chrome on Android devices.šš
    • Application windows can be auto-maximized and auto-centered.
    • Users can use 3-finger gestures to switch between applications.
    • Users can long-press on items to right-click.
    • Supports double tapping items.
  15. Misc.š
    • Apache has been upgraded to 2.2.23.
    • PHP has been upgraded to 5.3.18.
    • Perl is now a standalone package.

Embattle

FH is my second home
I've just ordered a DS1512+, the DS1513+ is just about to be released but it is largely the same except an extra two lan ports which with link aggregation increases the maximum read speed and there are some chassis changes but with it coming out the price of the DS1512+ appears to of dropped in various places.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I must say I am quite impressed with the software. On a whim I connected my 212 to the internets and told it to update itself. it went from 3.2 to 4.0 flawlessly and the new interface is pretty good tbh. I am leary of going in to beta versions, but other than that...smashing imo. Only thing I have noticed is that the onboard lan is stuck in the MB rather than the GB range. I could have sworn it's GB capable but my router refuses to sync on that (but does for other GB things).

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
When it works its quite good - when it doesn't work, its impossible. I went from DSM 3.2>4.0 and the upgrade broke the wireless USB stick driver (no wireless connection) - synology analysed the fault and promised to provide an updated driver in 4.2 - I waited 6 months and there was no update included in 4.2 :( - synology's website still lists the USB stick as compatible.

In the end, I fixed the issue by finding a new USB wireless dongle. There are many other bugs in 4.2. Honestly, unless there is a compelling reason to upgrade and everything is working, I would advise not to. Its too risky.

Embattle

FH is my second home
I've never personally had an issue with an update but I have heard of the odd quirk from others like a friend who had an issue with a recent minor update that seemed to always show his System as in poor health but for no reason, I suspect a lot of it is to do with the high amount of products that Synology have made and the high number of addons.

soze

I am a FH squatter
I have never had an issue with upgrading unless it is with a third party add-on. The built in synology software always works first time every time. One upgrade broke SabNZB for me and that was a pain but I had to take the blame for not making sure it was compatible.

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
There were quite a few chaps on their forums with some bad issues after 4.2 (including one or two bricks) - and also quite a few people with positive feedback. For me, I also experienced a bug in cloud station where the DSM had 100% CPU all of the time - I had to uninstall Cloudstation. I have reinstalled it since and it seems to work fine now :). I also had the indexing issue with photostation (100% CPU) and I had to ssh to switch the indexing service off.

The real gotcha with synology DSM is that if you upgrade the DSM software, and it doesn't work out, rolling back is not trivial and you risk your data.

Don't get me wrong, its a great system - mine is running a cloud (well, folder syncs), music server, photo station, download station all from home to my ipad or my ipod or work pc.

I can't seem to get push notifications on system alerts working though :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom