Swtor

svartalf

Can't get enough of FH
SWTOR is Bioware's turn on the Star Wars franchise MMO merry-go-round. So I was wondering if maybe there's a mod who could rename this forum or add a new one for SWTOR?

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Any mod at all? Beuller? Beuller?

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
dont think it will be needed looking at the ammount of posts for the game thats here, is it 5 now? :)

svartalf

Can't get enough of FH
I suspect it'll balloon. Call it a hunch.

Tilda

This, or star trek online look cool, theres always aion too!

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Any reason? The trailer looks damn cool!

yeah it does, but its also a rendered video that has fuck all to do with the actual game other then to hype it.

i hold my judgement untill i see some extensive proper ingame footage, but it does look promising the little i've read about it.

but i just dont trust rendered trailers anymore, just look at WAR for a prime example of awesome trailer and fucking horrible game :)

Aada

Part of the furniture
As much as the developer is good at making singleplaye games i just think the SW universe is too complicated and huge for a MMORPG for starters will there be space battles?

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
thats what you have expansions for.

now we just have to hope that Lucas Arts learned their lesson from fucking up SWG for SOE and that they stay the fuck away.

Thadius

Part of the furniture
As much as the developer is good at making singleplaye games i just think the SW universe is too complicated and huge for a MMORPG for starters will there be space battles?

Camelot was made by a company who had never made a mmorpgs before and look where that ended up... ;-)

8 years later, still popular

svartalf

Can't get enough of FH
I think "looked upon with fond memories" is a more appropriate phrase :)

Thadius

Part of the furniture
It does look interesting, might be tempted to give it a whirl.

I didnt mind Galaxies graphics at all, they just fecked it up at the start with the Jedi 3 death thing, then the student combat/class changes.

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
It does look interesting, might be tempted to give it a whirl.

I didnt mind Galaxies graphics at all, they just fecked it up at the start with the Jedi 3 death thing, then the student combat/class changes.
And the huge bug in a september patch after release that made some people loose everything, me included. then gave shit fuck in fixing it. Got perma ban when i asked about it on the official forums.

svartalf

Can't get enough of FH
I dont think Sony knew how to run a mmorpg sadly

That raises an interesting point. I mean, it's such a new field that nobody REALLY knows how to run a MMORPG do they?

I don't think anybody has been able to keep everybody happy. It's inevitable that some people get bored and move on more quickly than others - but eventually I think all will go and try other games. Of course, this may not be the yardstick you're using to measure the competence of Sony against, but obviously retaining players is the whole point of MMOGs.

Thadius

Part of the furniture
Some companies run it better than others.

I think Mythic run an excellent service, compared to Blizzard (Wow), Sony (SWG, Planetside) and GOA (DAOC-EU)

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
think i'm gonna have to argue with you there thad :)

Mythic DID run a good service. not so much now looking at how WAR is going.

think atm Blizzard (despite when ppl think of the game) is the top dog in most aspects.

i mean, 10 - 11 million subs have to say something right?

will be damn interesting to see what happens with WoW when STO and SW:TOR release.

as those 2 games are probably the only 2 in developement right now that actually is a threat to Blizzard when it comes to MMO's.

mooSe_

FH is my second home
think i'm gonna have to argue with you there thad :)

Mythic DID run a good service. not so much now looking at how WAR is going.

think atm Blizzard (despite when ppl think of the game) is the top dog in most aspects.

i mean, 10 - 11 million subs have to say something right?

will be damn interesting to see what happens with WoW when STO and SW:TOR release.

as those 2 games are probably the only 2 in developement right now that actually is a threat to Blizzard when it comes to MMO's.

Yeah but I thought that WAR would be a 'threat' to WoW due to Warhammer's millions of fans worldwide and GamesWorkshop's general success, but that failed horribly; so a series' success outside of the MMO genre doesn't necessarily grant it success within the genre.
Although that doesn't mean that we might finally have a 'WoW beater', I just think it's unlikely.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
well, i dont think i really thought that WAR was a gonna be a serious threat when it was being developed. Mythic left out WAY to much from the existing lore for that. and the fact that they wanted a T rated game kinda fucked it up even more as ALOT in the warhammer universe would be M rated and could thus not be implemented.

Starwars is a tad easier game when it comes to that, as theres very little in the lore thats actually "bad" for teens.

and startrek is even easier as theres mostly just spaceships blowing up :)

so if Mythic aimed for a M rating, THEN i would have believed it. as they could throw it pretty much everything from the lore.

warcraft was as far as i know a T rated serie to begin with so they COULD include everything and everyone in their game, so they really had it going there. and ofc they were the original owner of the name to begin with.

if your gonna do a MMO from either a single player serie or a movie, the only way to apease the fans is to follow the rating of that particular game/movie so you dont take away key components of the lore. you might get away with moving it up from T to M for example, but not the other way around as that just excludes to much of the lore to make it apealing for the hardcore fans, and especially the fanatical fans.

so hopefully Boiware and Crypic are smarter then Mythic were and actually follow the lore as best they possibly can. tho STO is dodgy as they follow a "alternate timeline" STO and Star Trek XI | Star Trek Online Official Site.

it sure give them some freedome but it could just as well end up being a mistake.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
pfft, i piss on your smuggler from a very high place when i'm flying around with my bounty hunter raining missiles on the stupid jedis....

oh yes, they are going DOWN!

Garaen

One of Freddy's beloved
Lore and rating had little to do with WARs failure as an MMO. The primary reason MMOs fail (WAR, AoC & Aion) is that they're just not fun to play. Successful MMOs (WoW & DAoC) are fun to play and are therefore succesful. It's such a basic thing developers overlook imo.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Lore and rating had little to do with WARs failure as an MMO. The primary reason MMOs fail (WAR, AoC & Aion) is that they're just not fun to play. Successful MMOs (WoW & DAoC) are fun to play and are therefore succesful. It's such a basic thing developers overlook imo.

DAoC only because it was first with rvr and WoW only because it brought online gaming to the masses and were casual friendly.

part from that both of these games are nothing special.

i mean, take away the rvr from daoc and its a fucking horrible game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom