Swordmaster vs White Lion

klasa

Loyal Freddie
Can someone from Beta give information about Swordmasters compared to White lions?

I love rvr and want a solid rvr mele char. I've played both offensive and defensive tank in DAOC and can manage both but want a solid groupable rvr class.

Mithradir

Loyal Freddie
The way i see it if you gonna make a melee group white lion is important. Mostly because of the 50% heal reduction + the help that can give the pet as interrupter on a caster. All those ofc if they improve the pet's pathing and solve all the bug issues.

TreD

Fledgling Freddie
I/m playing sword master at the mo and by a mile my fav class,as for white lion both are pretty different ,SM is mainly going to be a tank class and WL is a pure melee dps class plus you get the added bonus of useing your pet to interupt ect.. So if you wanna melee dps go WL but if you wanna tank go SM, sm can do decent dps aswell but later on id be amazed if they can keep up with most other class's.As i mentioned in another post playing melee dps in RvR at the mo is next to pointless you just cant hit anything even though your getting hit.:twak:

TreD

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks but thats not even an issue i have no connection problems at all,and changing that hasnt made one bit of difference i may add i shouldnt have to go messing around with connection settings to play this game.But i suspect they will look into it soon and fix it with a patch ect... sword master all the way.........:cheers:.(even though you cant hit shit in RvR :kissit:)

klasa

Loyal Freddie
I/m playing sword master at the mo and by a mile my fav class,as for white lion both are pretty different ,SM is mainly going to be a tank class and WL is a pure melee dps class plus you get the added bonus of useing your pet to interupt ect.. So if you wanna melee dps go WL but if you wanna tank go SM, sm can do decent dps aswell but later on id be amazed if they can keep up with most other class's.As i mentioned in another post playing melee dps in RvR at the mo is next to pointless you just cant hit anything even though your getting hit.:twak:
So what you are saying is that mele dps us useless in rvr, then I might as well roll a shadowwarrior. Sad I like mele classes.

Mithradir

Loyal Freddie
Actually i don't have any problem playing wl in rvr and yes i can hit my opponents. There are lots of bugs that i submit every day but those will be fixed with the release or later. My opinion is to try every class and choose what u like to play most. Ignore all the problems that the class might have because those problems sooner or later it will be fixed.

bobfish

Fledgling Freddie
At low levels the melee characters suffer from not being able to close ground fast enough, but a good tank+healer combo will have no issues there and the while lion will get a leap skill from mastery later on that helps it immensely.

I think you have a choice, both will matter a lot in sieges and defensive situations, but do you want to absorb damage or deal it? That is the big difference.

Personally I was going to go White Lion but am having a blast on my Shadow Warrior at the moment, however I've noticed that when the WL gets in range, they really do make short work of anything that gets near them.

klasa

Loyal Freddie
Thanks for the info. Think it will be a white lion then. If I've understood it correctly Iron Breakers are preferred over Sword Masters in the defensive tank role.

TreD

Fledgling Freddie
The sword master absorbs magical damage much better than an iron breaker, the iron breaker absorbs melee damage much better so theres a need for both.Im sure these issues with hitting mobs and other players in RvR will be fixed i certainly wont be giving up on my sword master as im loving the class.I will prob lvl up through the damage tree for the sword master and then at end game respecc tank,but a sword master can tank really well even with a two hander as his combo buffs increase parry ect.. the system works really well and taunt actuall gives you a dps increase so its used all the time weather you are tanking,questing or doing RvR.

Apollyn

Fledgling Freddie
I played a WH to 12 then decided to play a SM and OMG but the SM is insane.

Its a slow start until about lvl 6 and SM becomes a real monster at lvl 8 when you get ur RR gear.

Shields block spells and damage and my guy has 45% armour dmg mitigation, 40% parry (needs one skill use so its almost perma) and 40% block (melee and spell dmg). I also have a buff that gives 25% chance to aborb 100 dmg for 10 secs after hitting.

Dmg isnt great compared to wH (as you might expect) but I can sit and absorb a whole zergs attack and not get touched (which is insanely satisfying. SMs also get a nice root, plus some good Dots/ armour debuffs.

However, the most cool thing is that they can dual wield!! Oh yes!

True the second sword has stats like a shield but damn it looks so sweet. And when you get a few abilities and run through the stances fast it looks awesome.

So, maybe not gonna be killin everyone but Ive enjoyed SM much more than WH today, so much so I'm tempted to roll one come release instead of a WH...decisions decisions...

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I also have tried both. White lion is fun, but it is quite hard at times. Sword master is much more accessable. The earlier quests flew by with SM compared to WL.

klasa

Loyal Freddie
I also have tried both. White lion is fun, but it is quite hard at times. Sword master is much more accessable. The earlier quests flew by with SM compared to WL.

Thanks for the information, you've made my desicion so much harder....

Dutch_NS

Can't get enough of FH
I played a WH to 12 then decided to play a SM and OMG but the SM is insane.

Its a slow start until about lvl 6 and SM becomes a real monster at lvl 8 when you get ur RR gear.

Shields block spells and damage and my guy has 45% armour dmg mitigation, 40% parry (needs one skill use so its almost perma) and 40% block (melee and spell dmg). I also have a buff that gives 25% chance to aborb 100 dmg for 10 secs after hitting.

Dmg isnt great compared to wH (as you might expect) but I can sit and absorb a whole zergs attack and not get touched (which is insanely satisfying. SMs also get a nice root, plus some good Dots/ armour debuffs.

However, the most cool thing is that they can dual wield!! Oh yes!

True the second sword has stats like a shield but damn it looks so sweet. And when you get a few abilities and run through the stances fast it looks awesome.

So, maybe not gonna be killin everyone but Ive enjoyed SM much more than WH today, so much so I'm tempted to roll one come release instead of a WH...decisions decisions...

SM's dual wielding? i thought tanks could only use 2h and 1h+shield?

Show me some screens of it plz, dont think there supposed to dual wield.

Apollyn

Fledgling Freddie
Dont have a screenie I'm afraid.

Its not a true dual wield, the offhand sword has stats of a shield and just gives you block etc, but the gaphic is of a sword instead, thought that was a cool touch as the shields are pretty big on the char models.

I tohught it was a bug but everyone in my grp saw me with two swords.

Got it from the chest in the Webworks - Chap 3 PQ in empire zone.

Obilios

Fledgling Freddie
I played as a white lion... it was pretty cool especially the lion being able to inflict some good stuff on the enemy, like armor reduction/slowing them etc o_o

the only problem..is reaching your enemy if they run == do we get any skills that make our lion run fast or we run fast or something? Flee dosent cut it out you know :p

Nedo

Fledgling Freddie
I played as a white lion... it was pretty cool especially the lion being able to inflict some good stuff on the enemy, like armor reduction/slowing them etc o_o

the only problem..is reaching your enemy if they run == do we get any skills that make our lion run fast or we run fast or something? Flee dosent cut it out you know :p

Both.
theres a spell both for you and the pet. 7s duration higher speed on you with pretty low cd.

Libh

Fledgling Freddie

Warhammer Career Planner

probably not up to speed but most of it is acurate I guess :)

LordjOX

Part of the furniture

Charge! - Abilities - Warhammer Online

Also, the War Lion gets a snare if you use the ability "Trained to Threaten". As far as I know we don't get a melee snare though, but the pet one is quite nice anyways.

klasa

Loyal Freddie
Totally agree, time to roll a char tonight. Thank you all for the information!!!

V

Vai

Don't forget the SM and WL are totally different in design and gameplay. One is a tank the other is not :) Also the SM is not as 'uber' as a WL til later levels.

Vintersorg

Can't get enough of FH

You receive one at level 8 or so.
I tend to surprise Witch Elves and Sorceresses who try to run from me when I easily catch up with their flee AND still have action points left for some good back positionals :)

klasa

Loyal Freddie
Interesting, was wondring how you catch fleeing enemies without a charge or sprint ability.

Vintersorg

Can't get enough of FH
Interesting, was wondring how you catch fleeing enemies without a charge or sprint ability.

Well, if your lion is fighting the enemy when they decide to run away, there's a chance that he snares them.
And just in case, there's the aforementioned charge ability

Rake

Fledgling Freddie
We get a sprint ability like everyone else.

Also the charge ability (+50% for 7 secs, 30sec timer iirc)

White Lions also get a lvl 1 morale ability that damages and roots for a few seconds with a 65 range.

One of the pet stances has a 40% snare which is up quite frequently.

You can spec for a 3 second stun on a 30 second timer that you cast through the pet.

Finally you get a core ability that lets your pet throw a PC in your direction. Like a directional knockback. With the talent that gives your pet a perma 50% run buff that could be damn useful!

Dont know about SM's.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
White Lion is the better class for pure damage once the pet has been fixed,
been toying with them both but because of the various bugs controling your pet is very very involved
The class is one of those "unkillable if played well" ones, simply because they have the ability to run burning all their action points while the pet snares for them, a luxury the chasing person doesnt have :)

Most people dont seem to use it very well atm, particularly pet cycling but that will change in time, this is based on up to level 12

SM is also a good class and has the hp and resist advantage, i found it more of a 1 on 1 melee dps than a general frontload type of char, it lacks some of the disables the WL gets but at the same time gains debuffs of your own damage type, so you essentially debuff and then start hitting for big damage

Downanael

Fledgling Freddie
Seeing how pet is still pretty bugged i say SM is better right now,althought i'm sure fixing pets are their main objectives for next patch. Also get ready to be bitchslapped by every healer for aboutt 35 levels :p

And you get talent at lvl 20 which increases your lion run speed by 50%

And that sounds like display bug Apollyn,SM can't DW and probably never will.

Obilios

Fledgling Freddie
Im a WL lv 14.. now and I tell ya guys...

IM A M O N S T E R :flame:

actually the White Lion has a pretty good defense as well, with the lion ability trained to kill the pet does good DPS plus mine, plus i could handle some beating which is awsome, so far i killed anyone 1 vs 1 mages cant hide, witches just cry out loud ! and black orcs and chosen ones..well those are you know :twak: they just wont die like usual except i still beat them up 1 vs 1 :lol: so far best way to handle the lion imo is to put him on passive, and just command him which person u want him to hit, that way he wont keep changing targets he is pretty much screwd up most of time, but I will survive!! :kissit: and god, that tier 3 lion..omg... twice the size of an orc D_D scares the shit outta your enemy LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom