SWG is finally admitting defeat..

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Star Wars Galaxies: Shutting Down This Year - News Discussion - General Discussion Forums at MMORPG.com

Dear Star Wars Galaxies™ Community Member,
We write to you today to inform you that on December 15, 2011, Sony Online Entertainment (SOE) and LucasArts will end all services (MMO and Trading Card Game) for Star Wars Galaxies (SWG). The shutdown of SWG is a very difficult decision, but SOE and LucasArts have mutually agreed that the end of 2011 is the appropriate time to end the game.
We are extremely grateful to all of the SWG fans. We have had the rare opportunity to host one of the most dedicated and passionate online gaming communities and we truly appreciate the support we've received from each and every one of you over the course of the past eight years.
In recognition of your incredible loyalty, we are extending special Fan Appreciation offers to the current SWG community. We also plan to go out with a bang with a galaxy-ending in-game event in December and hope to see you all there. The details relating to these offers and events as well as the timeline and specifics regarding the discontinuation of the service, are provided below.
Again, we want to extend our heartfelt thanks to our player community for making SWG one of the best online communities in gaming history.
Sincerely,
Sony Online Entertainment & LucasArts

Guess they suspect they won't make it once SW:TOR release...

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
If fans were that passionate about it, they wouldn't need to close it. All hail marketing bullshit.

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
I was never a big fan of it personally and it had a pretty good run as far as these things go.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Their license to produce a star wars game runs out at the end of the year which is why they're packing it in.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Wonder what those "fan appreciation offers" will be..

Free vanguard game and 3 months sub? :p

Aada

Part of the furniture
It wasn't actually a bad game until they decided to screw people over who rolled a Creature Handler (me) and a few other classes by deleting them from the game!

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
I still quite like the space part of the game. Just kinda sucks that there wasn't all that much to do once you reached max level in that part other then some raid zones iirc...

Even tried to find some pvp in my Actis Interceptor but i never found anyone :(

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
I always felt the game was flawed. It wasn't one big thing, just lots of minor annoyances and an increasingly poorly thought out model as you progressed. In short the further you got, the more boring it became, at least for me.

Xandax

Loyal Freddie
8 years too late.

Now if only the bitter people could learn to get over the fact a computer game was changed, the Internet would be a much better place. :flame:

Punishment

Resident Freddy
It only closed down as it is losing its license to have a the star wars name after dec 31st

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
8 years too late.

Now if only the bitter people could learn to get over the fact a computer game was changed, the Internet would be a much better place. :flame:

Well, true.

But when Lucas Arts ordered SOE to do the NGE update they did more then just change it.

They deleted classes people had been spending a LOT of time on and basically said "tough shit" when people complained....

Legaen

One of Freddy's beloved
They deleted classes people had been spending a LOT of time on and basically said "tough shit" when people complained....

I would have at least given those who lost out another class at the same level with the same currency and items etc. Not necessarily the class they want either as it's better than just deleting all the hard work those players had put in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom