Surround systems

Tom

I am a FH squatter
There aren't many threads on this subject so I thought I'd start a new one. The audio on my new TV is fine for ordinary television but crap for films.

Is there such a thing as a decent 5.1 system for under £200? Amp, speakers, the lot? I may (for now) move my hifi speakers into the living room, so perhaps I just need a 5.1 amp, sub, and a couple of satellite speakers.

What about second hand, any bargains to be had?

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Dude, I have a NAD T747 that I am doing f* all with. If you have any work trips to the NL I'd happily just give it to you if you can make use of it.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Coincidentally, I'm in the Netherlands this weekend, filming British Superbikes at Assen. I fly into Amsterdam I think, Saturday morning. It'd be very useful to get that receiver from you, I would of course have to pay you something.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I have a denon 1911 and love it four hdmi inputs and good sound amongst other stuff. Should be able to get the 11,12 versions second hand cheapish. It's not really expensive to begin with though

TdC

Coincidentally, I'm in the Netherlands this weekend, filming British Superbikes at Assen. I fly into Amsterdam I think, Saturday morning. It'd be very useful to get that receiver from you, I would of course have to pay you something.

well, it's a pretty big box and the thing weighs about 20kg or so. tbh I would advise against flying with it. also, I really don't want anything for it: tis about 6 years old and I haven't used it for 3 of those. you could buy me a pint.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
My Panasonic 5.1 system is sat in the attic. I really should flog it. Can't be doing with all the wiring and shit for surround sound systems; if I get a speaker system again it will probably be a sound bar of some sort.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I looked at the sound bars but I don't believe they're physically capable of moving the same volumes of air as a traditional speaker.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
well, it's a pretty big box and the thing weighs about 20kg or so. tbh I would advise against flying with it. also, I really don't want anything for it: tis about 6 years old and I haven't used it for 3 of those. you could buy me a pint.

I will have a look at what our travelling arrangements are, I'm driving a hire car on Saturday but I have people in it with me.

TdC

let me know. I can pop over to Schiphol or whatever if it 's not hella early in the morning or something. I'm more concerned about you lugging the thing about and/or having excess baggage.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Nah don't worry about that :) I won't have much luggage, one change of clothes tbh.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
I looked at the sound bars but I don't believe they're physically capable of moving the same volumes of air as a traditional speaker.

if you can find one M&K MP-4512 its a soundbar but does not have a sub or an amp built in built mainly for studio use . sounds frigging awesome i managed to nab a brandnew one and am using it in the bedroom with an m&k sub

Last edited:

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Nah don't worry about that :) I won't have much luggage, one change of clothes tbh.

Teedles + Superbikes = me hiding in your boot, don't forget me in your boot.

TdC

better be checking that trunk for a tremfestation Tom :)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I've been checking the amp box for "substances" :)

I think the best way for me to get it home is via carry on, so I've flattened the box and put it with the polystyrene bits in my hold luggage. The amp will just about fit in my rucksack, wrapped in a towel.

TdC

yeah hope you make it without too much hassle man. it's a pretty chunky amp. good luck! :D

Tom

I am a FH squatter
ok I've got everything wired up but I can't access the menu. It's outputting a signal to the TV through a phono lead (I only have one HDMI lead). I can see the OSD and that none of the inputs are configured to HDMI, but I can't access any menus to change anything. Any ideas?

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Ok I figured out that the menu is accessed with the right cursor button. I still can't get any HDMI audio though (not tried any other inputs yet).

TdC

sorry dude, like I said I havn't used that thing for years 0o

make sure that it is outputting audio to hdmi, and also try another hdmi port / cable. I remember the thing could be quite picky about cables...

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I think it's because the amp doesn't do "Audio Return Channel" because it's an older HDMI standard, so I'll try an optical cable tomorrow.

TdC

nah mate the manual is in the box, I checked. also, it does optical so perhaps that's a good plan Tom!

Tom

I am a FH squatter
The optical cable works. Now I just have to figure out how the menus work...

TdC

lol it's NAD. who knows! :D

glad you have sound now though! nice one!

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I think I'm going to have to get another receiver, mainly because the NAD doesn't do HDMI 1.4. Generally, it's great for playing films from the computer, but in TV apps like Netflix the picture precedes the audio by several frames, and there seems to be no way to fix it. I'm told that HDMI 1.4 has ARC, which basically allows the TV and receiver to talk to oneanother and sync things properly. The NAD has 1.3, and can't do it.

TdC

hmmm isn't there a setting to tune that in the menu somewhere mate. I seem to recall that there is? otherwise, boo! after all the trouble we went through as well! think you can flog it?

Tom

I am a FH squatter
There's an audio delay but the problem is the pictures are preceding the audio, so that only makes it worse. It's only on certain functions.

TdC

aargh! sucks man, your spanky telly is too powerful :D

what are you going to do? ebay the thing? actually, I wonder if you could firmware update it or something like that...

Tom

I am a FH squatter
There's no way to firmware update to HDMI1.4, it needs a hardware change. NAD allow for such things, but not on this model.

It's not too bad, I may wait. I've just calculated this quarter's VAT bill and to be honest, I've spent too much chuffing money :(

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber

They're not. The only system that works surround are separate speakers. Basic physics.

But I'm with DaGaffer - CBA with surround any more.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
ok the wiring is a mess and the fireplace isn't finished, but it's almost there...

Attachments

• 2013-10-02 14.42.05.jpg
    2013-10-02 14.42.05.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom