Suggestions for a 17" TFT

raw

One of Freddy's beloved
I need a replacement monitor for my 21 " crt as its to old, big and has funny lines emerging down the sides which are slowly getting worse.

I'd like to get a 17" tft and reclaim 80 % of my desk, it needs to be v.good for games such as quake3 etc

Any ideas? i was looking on oc.uk and they have a reasonable looking LG 1 at 16ms for about 300 quid, is this any good? not got much of a clue when it comes to TFT's really :(

MrBlack

Fledgling Freddie
PC Pro's A-List recommends the Iiyama Prolite. I've just ordered one for work. They're 16ms response and pretty good in other areas (allegedly) if you're prepared to wait a couple of weeks I'll let you know how good it is.

Krazeh

Part of the furniture
Goto the oc.uk forums and in the general hardware section there's a stickied thread about TFT's along with reviews of current models

Krazeh

Part of the furniture
Apparently the Hercules ProphetView 920 Pro DVI and the Hyundai ImageQuest Q17 are both highly rated, excellent colour reproduction, good for games and windows as well as watching dvd's if the fancy takes you.
And from what i've read you should steer away from 16ms panels, they appear to acheive that speed by sacrificing colour reproduction. It seems you get better performance from a 20ms panel

raw

One of Freddy's beloved
Thanks for the tips, will have a look at the oc.uk forums.

Will a 20ms monitor run a game such as q3 ok?

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
NEC 1760X is teh daddy.

Miles better than the hercules and the hyundai

Gypsycurse has one, if you want to chuck him a PM and ask a few questions.

Xav

ManDevil

One of Freddy's beloved
Samsungs always seem to get good reviews, but I've always been put off by the fact most of them don't have a DVI connection but the 'Samsung SyncMaster 172X' does and a 12ms response time. Be interesting to see what they're like for gaming.

GDW

Fledgling Freddie
Xavier said:
NEC 1760X is teh daddy.

Miles better than the hercules and the hyundai

Gypsycurse has one, if you want to chuck him a PM and ask a few questions.

Xav

I also have one of these and would recommend it !!

Ardrias

Fledgling Freddie
Got a Hercules Prophetview 920 DVI, and I like it. For some reason it seems to perform better in games than in like... word. :eek7:

Add a Logitech desktop MX to it and it aer teh sexy workspace.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
can some kind person compare the iiyama to the NEC for me please. tia!!

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
TdC said:
can some kind person compare the iiyama to the NEC for me please. tia!!

Xav, get me one of each for research purposes please? ;)

TdC

nah, Wilier, you're far too busy with your other tasks matey. Xav, just get ME one of each and I'll write the review myself ;)

RandomBastard

Can't get enough of FH
Im looking at getting a 17" tft soon and dont want to spend more than £400, prefably less than £350. Been looking for the NEC 1760NX , any ideas as were to buy it from online? Any other suggestions for a tft in that sort of price range? Ideally it would be good for gaming and movies.

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
RandomBastard said:
Im looking at getting a 17" tft soon and dont want to spend more than £400, prefably less than £350. Been looking for the NEC 1760NX , any ideas as were to buy it from online? Any other suggestions for a tft in that sort of price range? Ideally it would be good for gaming and movies.
Hi RandomBastard

Just a very quick post to say that Dabs have the NEC 1760NX at £364.25 ic. VAT, which seems quite cheap in comparison with other online stores. It may not be the absolute cheapest, but it doesn't seem to bad a price.

Kind Regards

Edit ~ If Dabs are right, the NEC monitor has a response time of 30ms. Whilst this may be fine, for gaming and such the lower the response time the better, so as to prevent 'ghosting' or other motion blurring. Ideally you'd want something under 25ms (16ms seems to be around the best). As I say, it may not be an issue, but you should be aware of it nonetheless.

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hello again

Just thought I'd post this in a new post, that MicroDirect have redesigned their website AND ditched the mandatory £8 courier delivery in favour of a sliding scale system. Apart from one quibble with them (which was partly my fault) I've always been quite a fan of them, or rather of their special deals, which have saved me a fair amount in the past. They also have a 'proper' client login area now too.

Kind Regards

Edit ~ This may be old news, forgive me if so, I just haven't visited their site in a while.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Just to say,

I received my Hitachi (Hitachi CML174SXWB 17" TFT Monitor (Carbon) - ~£360) the other day and it's fapping brilliant for gaming having a 16ms response time. DVDs are also great.

It has a very bright screen, colours are rich and the picture is very sharp with perfect geometry. When I go back to my 19" Vision Master Pro (which is on a dual monitor setup on my second PC), the CRT looks pale and soft; washed out and not remotely as "clean" as the Hitachi TFT.

My only criticism is that the viewing angle isn't as good as the CRT, but that's to be expected on a TFT with a fast response time. I also found the TFT wasn't as good for dark pictures, or dark areas in games - it suffers from not being able to display a real "black". When the ambient lighting is fairly low, a "black" screen can still clearly be seen to be lit from behind and shows up a dark grey. I noticed this when watching a DVD with the lights off where the black bars either side of the picture were a very dark grey.

The opposite effect of this is that bright rooms or sunlight don't have the impact on the TFT like they did on my CRT - any light on the screen and i couldn't see shit. This is now gone with the TFT.

If it's gaming your worried about, it's fantastic for gaming. I've been off work for two weeks with after an operation and it means i've been able to do get some serious games of BF1942 in and some Counter-Strike. Both are excellent.

Edit ~ The Hitachi uses the same panel as the aformentioned and much raved about NEC.

Hope this is of some use.

G

TdC

I want one too dammit :eek:
*resist urge to run down the shops*

PR.

Fledgling Freddie
I just got my new Dell 2001FP TFT 20" 16ms.

Bloody marvellous :p

Sharp picture in Digital and Analogue VGA cables which can be switched from the front panel :)

Then again this isn't a 17" screen :(

old.user4556

That was my first choice for a replacement monitor, but being a gamer, 1600*1200 native res was no use unfortunately since it was either run it outside of the native res (suckage), or run everything in a 1280*1024 window (no thanks), or run games at 1600*1200 which would be a total fps killer.

Nice monitor though.

G

PR.

Fledgling Freddie
Big G said:
That was my first choice for a replacement monitor, but being a gamer, 1600*1200 native res was no use unfortunately since it was either run it outside of the native res (suckage), or run everything in a 1280*1024 window (no thanks), or run games at 1600*1200 which would be a total fps killer.

Nice monitor though.

G

Thats what I thought, but I have tried both UT2004 and CoD at 1600x1200 (Previously using 1280x1024(?)) and there was little difference (apart from a strange 3sec freeze in CoD every 5-10mins) I was very surprised. I am using a Geforce 5900 Ultra 256mb via the DVI

old.user4556

It's more next gen DX9 games i'm concerned about, HL2 for example - the early HL2 release wasn't exactly quick at 1600 on my 9800 Pro, particularly with FSAA on. Additionally, X2 with the stencil shadowing tends to die easily even at 1280, so turning off AA is a must for quick fps.

COD is the Quake3 engine, so not exactly taxing on the graphics; but if it's older games your playing, 1600 won't be as much as an issue as the latest releases.

G

Clown

Part of the furniture
*bump*

I was looking at the LG L1710S at eBuyer. Anyone know about this monitor? I've looked at the other monitors mentioned in this thread, but they all seem a bit more expensive than I want to spend. Can anybody recommend me any other 'gaming' TFT monitor for around the £300 mark?

Edited to say... that it has to actually be in stock ;)

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Clown said:
*bump*

I was looking at the LG L1710S at eBuyer. Anyone know about this monitor? I've looked at the other monitors mentioned in this thread, but they all seem a bit more expensive than I want to spend. Can anybody recommend me any other 'gaming' TFT monitor for around the £300 mark?

Edited to say... that it has to actually be in stock ;)
Hi Clown

I'm lucky enough to have an LG LCD TV (which doubles as a PC monitor) and I thoroughly love the thing. It's well built, very high-quality and performs admirably. I can't speak for LG's LCD monitors, but if it's anything like this it can't be bad.

Judging by the specs of the model you gave, it looks like it should be good. 16ms repsonse time, 250 cd/m2 and 450:1 contrast, 0.264 mm pixel pitch and 1280x1024 native resolution is all good for such a monitor. I don't think it supports DVI input, which is a shame, but other than that it looks good (and, obviously, it depends on whether your graphics card supports DVI). You might also want to check the LG website as there are some higher models in the same 17" range (I'm not sure how much they cost, though).

Kind Regards

Jonty ... who really shall go back to being away now ... really

Clown

Part of the furniture
NO DONT GO AWAY, COME BACK!

What? I have DVI on my GFX card but I don't know what it is :eek:

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Clown said:
NO DONT GO AWAY, COME BACK!

What? I have DVI on my GFX card but I don't know what it is :eek:

Digital Video Input. If you're going to use a TFT monitor for gaming/fast video you need this or you'll get all smeary effects. I've got an Eizo 17" TFT that I've had for about 18 months and its very good. However, I'm thinking of eBaying it and getting this from Dell. Its not out in the UK yet, due next month but its supposed to be a decent TFT monitor (with DVI) and a decent LCD TV - much cheaper than a Sharp or LG too.

Stimpy

Fledgling Freddie
Here's a fairly cheap TFT Benq 17" 16ms response time and the big draw it's £286.11.

Linky

P.S. Stop pretending to leave Jonty you know you love us to much :)

SawTooTH

Can't get enough of FH
I own an NEC 1760NX and use DVI with it and its quite good for gaming (UT2004 etc).
I havent tried Hitachi but they are reckoned to be similar in performance. You wont get better than a CRT at the end of the day whatever you buy but the space saving of a TFT makes up for it imo. You may want to reconsider if you want hi res though as they are limited.

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Looking at buying one myself soon, the Iiyama prolite E431S looks great. I've always trusted iiyama, as I've had my vision master pro 450 for about 5 years, and had no probs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom