submit form

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
I currently have a submit form for people to submit their site to my links pages but it's one of those off-site things with adverts and it looks crap. Is it hard to make my own submit form that stays withing my site?

TheJkWhoSaysNi

One of Freddy's beloved
If you have php and/or mysql, no not at all.

What exactly do you want? Just a links script? You can probably find one at hotscripts.com

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
Cheers, I just want a form like this but one that stays within my site.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
can be done different ways mate, both with sql and file-based. have you solved it yet btw? perhaps all the web peeps here can band together and make one for you as a project?

Doh_boy

Part of the furniture
My thought is:

Table
p_key (I can't remember the syntax but I'm sure in my_sql you can set this to auto-increment)
A_name
A_email
S_name
URL
S_desc
Auth

With this you make a page much like the one you show. Then you put a page on a place where only you can access. On this make a page which lists all the entries in the table where auth is set to 0. (Make sure when you create the entries to always set auth to 0). So then every so often you can browse the submitted links and if you like them select them. So all you then have to do is make sure when you're showing your links to ensure you only show auth == 1 entries. On the 'admin' page include links to delete entry and 'auth' entry.

Not sure if this is the most elegant way to do it but it's how I would do it.

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Sounds like a good method, doh_boy :) I think MySQL is the way to go for these things, although we could be flash and utilise XML ;)

TdC said:
Perhaps all the web peeps here can band together and make one for you as a project?

If we were all cooperative we could have one person take care of the MySQL and PHP, one the XHTML and CSS markup and one for JavaScript (if we wanted to validate the forms and such). But that's probably asking a bit much ;)

Kind Regards

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
TdC said:
can be done different ways mate, both with sql and file-based. have you solved it yet btw? perhaps all the web peeps here can band together and make one for you as a project?
I haven't really had a go at it yet, this stuff is all a bit new and forboding for me at the moment; it would be nice if I could do it though... I tried to find an easy to understand script but nothing appeared too obvious for me to have a go at.

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
Jonty said:
Sounds like a good method, doh_boy :) I think MySQL is the way to go for these things, although we could be flash and utilise XML ;)

If we were all cooperative we could have one person take care of the MySQL and PHP, one the XHTML and CSS markup and one for JavaScript (if we wanted to validate the forms and such). But that's probably asking a bit much ;)

Kind Regards
Could you let me know when it's ready. ;)

wyrd_fish

Fledgling Freddie
Maljonic said:
I haven't really had a go at it yet, this stuff is all a bit new and forboding for me at the moment; it would be nice if I could do it though... I tried to find an easy to understand script but nothing appeared too obvious for me to have a go at.
buy a book, and ude internet tutorials to build on what you learn from it

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
wyrd_fish said:
buy a book, and ude internet tutorials to build on what you learn from it
I was signed up for an advanced ten week web design course, which was going to cover all the things I wanted to know, but I was the only one on it so it got canclled. :( I have to wait untill September now, by which time I probably will have worked it all out for my self... well, with a little Freddy's House help I shouldn't wonder. :)

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
Still haven't managed to do this yet, there must be an easy way I can do it through Dreamweaver, mustn't there? :worthy:

Panda On Smack

Can't get enough of FH
heh, dreamweaver has built in functions to create recordsets and talk to databases.

might be an idea to do the Table option in a database and everytime a link is submitted you send yourself an email with the link to the site and link that will auth the new site or delete it

that way you dont have to check for new links as any new ones will be emailed to you.

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
I don't need to check for new links, I only add them (manually) when people send requests. I just want a nicer functioning form than the crappy off site thing I'm using now. I think I've nearly got the hang of it now but it's still all a bit foggy. I think I have to make a php script in notepad or something with instructions on it and have my html script for form point to it in some way; it's just really hard to get anyone to tell me what to do in plain English, I guess that's because it's all php, sql, html etc. :)

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
Well you could download / make a formmail script that just emails the form to you since you're doing it manually anyway.

That's probably the easiest unless you want to get involved with writing the whole system again basically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom