Stupid problem!

pikeh

Resident Freddy
Hello!

Recently upgraded my PC to an i5 3570k, MSI Z77-G43 Mobo, 8 gig Patriot 1866mhz ram, Radeon 7870LE (tahiti edition).

Installed very happily (apart from a rather embarrassing mis-install of a new custom theme which prompted a format!) However, Win7 now won't recognize by external HDD. Every time I plug it in, I get an error message saying a device has malfunctioned and won't work properly. Every USB port has this (the USB3 ports with my case and also my mobo ports) problem. The device works fine on my old laptop, and was working perfectly fine on my old system as well. Win7 is fully updated. I shorted the CMOS on the mobo to no avail.
I have installed new-chipset drivers.
All my other USB devices work perfectly well, so I can't pinpoint it to a specific port. The External HDD is a 400gig Freecom POS, with its only 12v power supply which is working and switched on. On some occasions, on replugging the device it 'installs' (despite showing the above error message) as a 'Unknown USB device'.

Anyone else had something similar?

Cheers!

Kryten

Old Cow.
You are aware that motherboard is a buggy pile of horseshit right?
Latest BIOS helped a little with the random issues I had with it but still - sooner I'm rid of mine the better.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I will only ever use Asus for my home pc. Never any trouble with them regardless of the OS.

pikeh

Resident Freddy
the other possibility was for Gigabyte, I couldn't see any advantages it had over my board to be honest, and in fact people had reported that the bios needed flashing to even use my 7870 LE. Also, the G45 only had extra SLI support but I'm not a Nvidia user so wasn't bothered about that, but maybe I was wrong. Not had any other problems with it and I'm not even sure its a Mobo issue as I also have the problem with my cases USB ports (Bitfenix Shinobi).

Bit nervous about flashing the board, Kryten. Is it risky? everything else is working perfectly so I think for the sake of it I might just buy another external HDD and move things (slowly) from my laptop!

pikeh

Resident Freddy
Yeh like I said, works fine on my laptop so I havn't lost the data or bricked the HDD!
Just seems like its the specific install of Win7 that doesn't like it :s

Athan

Resident Freddy
Not had any other problems with it and I'm not even sure its a Mobo issue as I also have the problem with my cases USB ports (Bitfenix Shinobi).
Is this some magical type of 'cases USB ports', or are they in fact also plugged into the motherboard and thus it is still possibly to blame ?

pikeh

Resident Freddy
No, running standard mode.
Seems like its some incompatibility between the Mobo and the HDD in that case, if all the other USB ports work fine with all other devices. Win7 is fully updated and chipset drivers have been updated. Win7 worked fine before with the HDD and like previously stated, the HDD works on my laptop (running Win7 ultimate as well).

Thanks for the link, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom