Student Finance - horrible, horrible, horrible

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
'Due to the fact you haven't provided all of the documents required, we cannot process you as income-assessed. Please provide the following documents:

<-BLANK->'

<3 student finance.

Chilly

Balls of steel
It seems like you have been one of the unlucky ones as I too was once a University student and never had a problem.

Holy fuck pronecromancy. I wonder how long it'll be til his first post about the new and revolutionary penis enhancing powers of <whateverthefuckitscalledtoday>.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
google says I should ban it :(

kiliarien

Part of the furniture
google says I should ban it :(

Do it do it do it!!

Sorry to hear of your woes Bugz - I remember when the old Student Loans split into SLC and something else back in 2005/6 and my 4 years of loans were split based on the years I got them. Utterly annoying and confusing.

Glad to hear it's in part sorted. In their defence there's a lot of random students out there who don't get their shit sorted (unlike you) but it's weak excuse at best.

What really got my goat was that I left Uni, got my teaching job and for the first year I was under the threshold for deferring but I didn't. Next thing I know I have to pay it all back in the next 4 years. There were people around me teaching earning over 10 grand more than me who still hadn't even STARTED paying theirs back after leaving Uni 3/4 years before me as they were allowed to continue deferring. I questioned it and sent lots of letters and got no joy by the end.

Buggers. :(

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Yeah the student loan company is wank, I had to get an extra years student loan because of a retake year (due to medical problems not slacking ;) ), applied well in advance, was asked for some documentation of proof etc (which i was expecting so had it all ready), sent it off

come august i had heard nothing, so i called them, spoke to a lady "oh yes dont worry this part is just a formality it will be approved and you will get your money on time"

September... i register and explain my situation at the uni (they have been helping so were aware of the situation) and they accept that the fee will be late...

october... still nothing so i call "oh yeah sorry, its been rejected..." errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr so i speak to uni, they speak to their finance department, who contact my local council, who contact me and ask me to call again "ooops! now its approved"

i have had nothing but bad experiences with the student loans company (as it was called back then), the year after i started uni they introduced their "web tracking!" system, but never sent out user IDs or passwords to anyone who started in my year group so had to go through yet another 5-10 hours of phone calls to get access and then when i got access the website was useless!

TdC

you have private companies doing student loans? 0o

Chilly

Balls of steel
Of course. They operate under strict licence from the govt. I do not for one second think the govenrment could do a better job, however shit the SLC is.

TdC

I forgot loans are splendid business :(

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
Nordic countries have government agencies handling student loans. In Norway it's about 10k euro per year in loan, minus about 4k euro as a stipend if you have normal progression in studies. This applies to everyone qualified to higher education, regardless of academic prowess or social standing. It is downpayable over 25 years at the lowest rent possible.

Never had any problems with it.

GimmlyThe3rd

Banned
I have a SLC debt around 35k iirc, I presume it effects your credit rating as well? Mine must be pretty bad (was very good apart from that) ......

However I have no intention of paying a penny back, working in the UK or have any assets in the UK. But yea the SLC is dire and caused me so much shit, but worked out ok in the end I guess ... :p

Ormorof

FH is my second home
SLC debt does not affect credit rating ever as far as i know, in reality there is little incentive to pay it back early because it will stay as a free (or almost free) loan until it is all paid off as its pegged to inflation (but can no longer go below 0% afaik)

- English -

Resident Freddy
SLC debt does not affect credit rating ever as far as i know, in reality there is little incentive to pay it back early because it will stay as a free (or almost free) loan until it is all paid off as its pegged to inflation (but can no longer go below 0% afaik)

The only thing is if you start earning over 21,000 (i think it is now) you will start paying it back, and thats something like £50 a month. However, with the current interest rates its not evening covering the inflation costs, so you need something like a £25,000 income to actually get anywhere in paying it back. If you add how much you will pay back each month, and how much you owe, its worth paying it back due to how much extra you will end up paying over your lifetime.

Something like a 30,000 loan over your lifetime works out at about £60,000 i think (not too sure on the numbers, but you get what i mean)...

Though am i right in thinking your student debt is wiped after 30 years or when you're 60? Sure ive read it somewhere

Jeros

Part of the furniture
Starting year 3 of 4 in September, they approved my loans and grants within 48 hours of applying for it online. Nice.

Chilly

Balls of steel
I have a SLC debt around 35k iirc, I presume it effects your credit rating as well? Mine must be pretty bad (was very good apart from that) ......

However I have no intention of paying a penny back, working in the UK or have any assets in the UK. But yea the SLC is dire and caused me so much shit, but worked out ok in the end I guess ... :p

Thief. Fuck off. I'm paying for that out of my fucking wages. Don't be such a wanker.

JingleBells

FH is my second home

£35k? WTF? When did you graduate and how many years of study was that for - seems far too much

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
My partner had problems for years with the student loans company and at one point was entitled to have her debt cancelled, but they never informed her until that was no longer the case.

As for me, I was determined to go through uni debt free, so worked two, sometimes three jobs during my BSc and MSc. In fact I still work two jobs plus se freelance work now I am doing my Phd.

How you rack up 35k student loan debt is beyond me.

Lethul

FH is my second home
I just finished my studies and gotten a job, finally the swedish student loan can fuck off! (well I still have to repay but no more phone cues to solve all the mistakes etc :p)

GimmlyThe3rd

Banned
Thief. Fuck off. I'm paying for that out of my fucking wages. Don't be such a wanker.
You can say that but at the same time I think why should I? I've never had anything off the NHS, inc the dentist. I pay tax on everything inc food, bills, car insurance, patrol, even my fucking inheritance from my Gran (Half of a house sale iirc). And then to top it off, every Paki, Indian and asylum seeker can come here, get citizenship and the same loans / NHS.

UK can kiss my arse, I hope Europe collapses, it's in sight and will do the country some good (house prices etc) . However I would feel sorry for all the people that get effected by it, but in economic terms, it makes sense. This generation 15-30 and the new generation most likely will have fuck all chance of buying a house.

My partner had problems for years with the student loans company and at one point was entitled to have her debt cancelled, but they never informed her until that was no longer the case.

As for me, I was determined to go through uni debt free, so worked two, sometimes three jobs during my BSc and MSc. In fact I still work two jobs plus se freelance work now I am doing my Phd.

How you rack up 35k student loan debt is beyond me.
Well, 7k a year living expense in London (and that's still poverty) and 3k fees or so. Would like to know how you can earn 10k a year and study full times, if you did so, then well I take my hat off to you.

Good job I bolted at the start of the 3nd year, and didn't do the full 4 years. Although the loan went to very good use in starting my business here .....

No I don't feel bad, I feel bad for my family supporting me, as they have covered that in taxes ...

mooSe_

FH is my second home
my mum fills in my student loan application for me :)

Chilly

Balls of steel
You can say that but at the same time I think why should I? I've never had anything off the NHS, inc the dentist. I pay tax on everything inc food, bills, car insurance, patrol, even my fucking inheritance from my Gran (Half of a house sale iirc). And then to top it off, every Paki, Indian and asylum seeker can come here, get citizenship and the same loans / NHS.

UK can kiss my arse, I hope Europe collapses, it's in sight and will do the country some good (house prices etc) . However I would feel sorry for all the people that get effected by it, but in economic terms, it makes sense. This generation 15-30 and the new generation most likely will have fuck all chance of buying a house.

Good riddance to you, hurry up and leave.

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
GimmlyThe3rd said:

Well, 7k a year living expense in London (and that's still poverty) and 3k fees or so. Would like to know how you can earn 10k a year and study full times, if you did so, then well I take my hat off to you.

Good job I bolted at the start of the 3nd year, and didn't do the full 4 years. Although the loan went to very good use in starting my business here .....

No I don't feel bad, I feel bad for my family supporting me, as they have covered that in taxes ...

Actually I made a reasonable living while studying through simple old fashioned hard work - not an option for everyone, but not out of the question for everyone either.

As for the nonsense about not paying back your student loan, as far as I am concerned, that is just a form of benefit fraud. I couldn't care less what this country has or has not given you - it has given you that money to further your education and you will benefit directly from it. Not repaying it is theft.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
stop fucking moaning bugz they've got a few million applications to process i doubt yours is top of their list just because you've got personal issues

...Or "stop fucking moaning bugz, it's your duty to put up with shit service - everyone else is retarded enough to put up with a disgraceful service because they're young and dumb. How dare you have the audacity to moan about shit treatment and poor service when someone else is prepared to put up with it in silence. Why don't you just DIE? :eek:"

:)

/sigh

welcome to my ignore list - not worth my time.

I agree Bugz. However, I don't use an ignore list because listening to idiots spouting retarded shit makes me feel more talented...

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
thats taken very much out of context, you wouldn't know about the great bugz hunt of '09.

GimmlyThe3rd

Banned
Actually I made a reasonable living while studying through simple old fashioned hard work - not an option for everyone, but not out of the question for everyone either.

As for the nonsense about not paying back your student loan, as far as I am concerned, that is just a form of benefit fraud. I couldn't care less what this country has or has not given you - it has given you that money to further your education and you will benefit directly from it. Not repaying it is theft.
To repay the loan, you would have to earn £833 a month for each year, with out a degree. So that's a full time job? And you attended uni for 30hours + a week and the rest? Either you are deluded and stuck in the 80s/90s or I truly take my hat off to you.

Repaying the loan, I paid taxes and my family pay taxes, just to take a shit (water you flush is taxed), and wipe my arse(the toilet roll you buy is also taxed) and a million other taxes for what? For my self imo, not for some immigrant to run here and claim the dole or mp / govnerment / police worker to sit on there fat arse all day. I was taking what I was entitled to imo, tough shit if I got smart and decided to gtfo out of that hell hole ..

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
GimmlyThe3rd said:
To repay the loan, you would have to earn £833 a month for each year, with out a degree. So that's a full time job? And you attended uni for 30hours + a week and the rest? Either you are deluded and stuck in the 80s/90s or I truly take my hat off to you.

Repaying the loan, I paid taxes and my family pay taxes, just to take a shit (water you flush is taxed), and wipe my arse(the toilet roll you buy is also taxed) and a million other taxes for what? For my self imo, not for some immigrant to run here and claim the dole or mp / govnerment / police worker to sit on there fat arse all day. I was taking what I was entitled to imo, tough shit if I got smart and decided to gtfo out of that hell hole ..

Actually I earned something like 2k per month on my first degree and work an study between them took up over 70 hours per week.

We all pay taxes Gimmly, that doesn't make it right. By not paying it back you are simply stealing from the tax payer. Your family paying taxes is neither here nor there. Personally I am very proud of the Welfare state, I think it is one of the few things that truly make Britain great. Whether you falsely claim a benefit or you take out a tax payer funded loan with no intention of paying it back makes no difference - you are stealing money. The fact that you feel that is ok actually explains a lot about your rather ignorant views on a lot of things. I would also say that the fact you thought it ok to use some of that money to start a business says a lot about your character too.

Jeros

Part of the furniture
Jesus Gimmy, I'm buggering off to Australia ASAP when I graduate but i'm still going to pay back my student loans, you can't just take from the system and not give back, moving abroad or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom