Help Stock cooler replacement for intel core i7 4770k 3.5ghz ?

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Gents,

The fan on my CPU is starting to make rubbing and slight vibration noises - it's dust free, so I think it's not got a lot of life left in it so I want to replace it sooner rather than later.

Can anyone recommend a good stock replacement for my Haswell goodness? It must be quiet above all else, I do not overclock so there's no need for a mega enormous unit with massive fans.

Ta

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Why did you buy the unlocked chip if you don't overclock?

old.user4556

Does it matter? Recommend a cooler or GTFO my thread!

old.user4556

I hear awesome things about Noctua fans, thanks dude!

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
You could also get a Nokia 3210 for your next phone :)

Closed circuit water cooling is the way forward!

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Pretty much every air cooler on the market beats Intel's stock coolers. A Noctua cooler comes in a great package, has everything you need in the box, is a piece of piss to install and they are whisper quiet and highly efficient. The fan on that one you linked looks like it came out of a cereal box and it's only 92mm so it will emit a higher pitch noise than a 120, 140 or 150mm fan, especially Noctuas which have specially designed notches on the blades to increase displacement and reduce sound.

Buy whichever one you want but everyone else in this thread seems to like Noctua, that can't be a coincidence. :)

Litmus

Resident Freddy
i don't disagree that noctua are great, but there high-end. The type of cooler you go to when you want to overclock your cpu within inches of its life, not replace the stock cooler with no overclock. I just don't think advising someone to get a £50+ cooler for that reason is good advise.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
i don't disagree that noctua are great, but there high-end. The type of cooler you go to when you want to overclock your cpu within inches of its life, not replace the stock cooler with no overclock. I just don't think advising someone to get a £50+ cooler for that reason is good advise.

Low profile for 40..

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-021-NC

Was just saying that with Noctua you're pretty sorted, even if it's not the size of your case.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Nice one. It so happened that my server was giving me messages that it was outside it's thermal envelope when I was running hefty code. stock cooling on the xeon, yup yup. The cooler posts pushed me out of apathy and in to buying mode. Just ordered one of those low profile Noctua's.

TdC

ok, mine came today, and I just fitted it. Heads up guys, this thing's heatsink is pretty WIDE. with my server's mobo being this AS-Rock, and the memory banks being full of Kingston Beast ram with fairly large heatsinks of their own, there was no way to fit the cooler other than removing the smaller fan, and letting the heatsink rest on the tops of the dimms. At first I was concerned re the 'sinks touching, but there is no real issue there, and possibly some good given that the ram gets some benefit from the large fan on the Noctua cooling it.

Anyway, I tested the cooler by running some heavy code on the server, and it saves me about 30C (!!) vs the stock cooler 0_o. No more power throttling messages in my logging, which is both as it should be and awesome. The Noctua cooler seems about as well built as a cooler can be, with the fans chunky and a stylish two-tone beige (not that I will ever see them). All the metal and plastic parts seem well fabricated, and the documentation is as well, split in to AMD and Intel specific booklets. The docs are as well presented and clear as an Ikea or Lego manual, leaving nothing to the imagination and so I had the cooler installed in about 5 minutes. It's wprth noting that the cooler is also quite nicely packaged, and the box is sturdy to the point I almost couldn't get it open lol. Ah well.

So, all in all a well packaged and quality fabricated product. I give it 85/100, deducting points for the fact that I had issues with fitting re my ram. Ofc, that is not really Noctua's fault, but I am a picky cunt, me.

noctua.png

old.user4556

Fuck me, Teeds I was just about to post - it's fucking mahoosively wide to the point I thought it wasn't going to fit, I had to manually offset the smaller fan and even then there's absolutely no room to spare (my motherboard is listed as compatible, I would say compatible with caveats). I robbed the larger fan off of it for a case fan.

Agreed on the build quality - the fabrication, packaging and instructions are top spec.

old.user4556

The heatpipes have feck all clearance with my RAM and the heatsink nearly touches the graphics card. The fan underneath has been sandwiched between two motherboard heatsinks. You can see how I robbed the 140mm fan for the case.

IMG_20150210_213927.jpg

TdC

Yeah, in my case (hur) I've attached the cooler 180deg the other way. All my ram banks are full and with the heatpipes bending the way they do, it was the only way I could fit it.

old.user4556

Dust your case young man!

It was dusted tonight, it's only the graphics card that's dusty - couldn't find a soft brush to do it gently / safely / properly :(.

TdC

ok I'm declaring the new cooler to be working just peachy. on to other things!

noctua1d.png

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
ok I'm declaring the new cooler to be working just peachy. on to other things!

View attachment 22861
The CPU in my server in the garage went under 10c at idle for about a week, it was -5 outside though! All of the drives were also lovely and chilly, I could probably have unplugged all the fans tbh.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
The CPU in my server in the garage went under 10c at idle for about a week, it was -5 outside though! All of the drives were also lovely and chilly, I could probably have unplugged all the fans tbh.

Could the temps be related to the disk failure??? It would be odd, I agree...

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I thought about that, it's a possibility but the drives never went down below 13 or 14c and they are all identically cooled so unless it was just a bad disk, it should've knocked more of them out I guess. The spec sheet says they can operate in temps from 0 to 70c so it was never anywhere near the recommended minimum.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I thought about that, it's a possibility but the drives never went down below 13 or 14c and they are all identically cooled so unless it was just a bad disk, it should've knocked more of them out I guess. The spec sheet says they can operate in temps from 0 to 70c so it was never anywhere near the recommended minimum.

I guessed you'd have thought of that anyway ;)

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
What is the deal with Intel's stock-fans being sub-par, really?! High temperatures causing all sorts of unseen/unknown errors. Annoying to say the least, oh, and this with the turbo-mode activated (which it was made for

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom