Steam OS Announced.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
There is more junk than useful stuff in windows because it has to be a jack of all trades.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
There is more junk than useful stuff in windows because it has to be a jack of all trades.

Even if I agreed it doesn't harm the FPS much tho does it - even by Valve's estimation.

It's stuff like frame grabbing where linux'll get ahead. But I'm not someone who wants to videotape me playing video games :)

Edit: And anyway, I do more than just play games with computers. Steam box is just a shit computer that does something that something else already does and not a lot besides.

Or rather, a console! :D

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Thats all ANY modern console is.....

Yes, but my point is I can already turn Big Picture on, plug a control pad into my PC and play all of my Steam games, why on earth would I buy a Steam box to do the same basically?

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Yes, but my point is I can already turn Big Picture on, plug a control pad into my PC and play all of my Steam games, why on earth would I buy a Steam box to do the same basically?

I suppose it offers like a one stop console-pc alternative where (I'd imagine) you don't have to do all the small time maintenance such as defragging, updating drivers etc etc.

Which I suppose wouldn't attract the likes of you, but will open PC gaming to the masses rather than a few?

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
I suppose it offers like a one stop console-pc alternative where (I'd imagine) you don't have to do all the small time maintenance such as defragging, updating drivers etc etc.

Which I suppose wouldn't attract the likes of you, but will open PC gaming to the masses rather than a few?

Aye I see the point behind it but I don't see the point behind it at the same time because it'll need constantly upgrading to support newer games and the average joe who isn't PC savvy won't know how to do it, is this where Gabe plans to make his fat $$$ from upgrades?

Gwadien

Aye I see the point behind it but I don't see the point behind it at the same time because it'll need constantly upgrading to support newer games and the average joe who isn't PC savvy won't know how to do it, is this where Gabe plans to make his fat $$$ from upgrades?

Nah, I reckon Gabe won't want to make his fat $$$s from upgrades, I think he's a damn lot cleverer than that, as you can see from the likes of Dota 2, CS:GO, and TF2, Valve make absolute fuck loads of money from selling cosmetic stuff, I'm not saying he'll start to sell really expensive cases for the Steam Box, I just think this'll be something they've thought about, and they'll find another way to make their dollar.

Embattle

FH is my second home
I'm not poo poo the idea I just hate it when people over hype something which in essence already exists.

Gwadien

I'm not poo poo the idea I just hate it when people over hype something which in essence already exists.

But as I said to BO, I think it's irrelevant for people here who have a good working PC already, I see it as another contender for the consoles.

Poag

m00?
I see it in the following light.

I have a good PC, i play alot of PC games. However I am currently in a position where i want to move my gaming out of my office into my lounge. However I do not want to move the PC around as I still use it as an office.

Using a steambox in my lounge means i can keep my massive PC game collection, but gain the comfy lounge environment for controller games. I dont have to buy a console (but will need a steambox of some description), and i dont need to repurchase my game collection.

To me it seems like a win-win situation to me!....

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I see it in the following light.

I have a good PC, i play alot of PC games. However I am currently in a position where i want to move my gaming out of my office into my lounge. However I do not want to move the PC around as I still use it as an office.

Using a steambox in my lounge means i can keep my massive PC game collection, but gain the comfy lounge environment for controller games. I dont have to buy a console (but will need a steambox of some description), and i dont need to repurchase my game collection.

To me it seems like a win-win situation to me!....

Kind of depends what you play. There's a reason why certain games (FPS and RTS in particular) are more successfully realised on PC than console. Playing them on your Steam Console is still going to be a usability issue. This is where the real test of this concept is going to be seen; sticking your PC games straight into a controller and TV environment isn't going to work unless the games themselves are adapted for the environment properly; if Valve can give you that experience without making the whole thing an economic waste of time (for users and developers), then they're in with a shout of making this work; if it turns out the developers make less money doing it this way than by creating dedicated console titles and/or consumers find the cost of steam games going up to cover the extra dev needed; it probably won't.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Looks very interesting - visualising it in my hands, it looks like it could work. There's a reason all gamepads look reasonably similar these days though, that's because they work. Maybe they're reinventing the wheel, on the other hand they could be proving that MS/Sony have been resting on their laurels.

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
what do you think of the new steam controller? its certainly different and a break from the norm i cant see it beating a mouse and keyboard for accuracy tho

Yaka

Part of the furniture
it might do but i doubt there will be much uptake from kb/mouse as always

there was a controller that worked well in fps games once you got the hang of it its came free with the descent/forsaken box i got in the 90s but there wasn't much of uptake.
the controller patent valve filled looks similar to the space orb as well.

1108-1.jpg

1334295974.jpg

the tech lives on in the brilliant connextion peripherals logitech makes aimed 3d artists

Gwadien

Meh, if they make it exclusively controller use, I think that'd be a bad move.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I wont bother with it if it is.

also, several swipes to move the cursor ...er. I am used to moving a mouse a couple of inches from one side of the screen to the other.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
They'll never replicate mouse/kb awesomeness with a device that isn't a mouse and a kb.

Chilly

Balls of steel
I'm waiting for the neural interface so I can control pixels with my mind.
Yeah, the best ones today are dog shit. The scary thing will be when the tech is good but requires a lot of training, a kid who uses it from age 10 will be forever better at any reaction-based game than someone not using it. It'll be a whole new level of kb-mouse style advantage.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Meh, if they make it exclusively controller use, I think that'd be a bad move.
They won't that would be stupid, it's been a while since Valve did stupid.
I wont bother with it if it is.

also, several swipes to move the cursor ...er. I am used to moving a mouse a couple of inches from one side of the screen to the other.
Your existing games will doubtless have mouse sensitivity, why would this be any different?

Frankly the controller still looks somewhat naff to me but I think they need to be given the benefit of the doubt.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
When someone beats a korean in starcraft with that thing, then it's a solid proven device :p

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
You can't do that with a KB/M ffs.

That's because they're better than us.

Tbh - I think the controller's probably a step up from traditional controllers for consoles. But it is clearly not up to the job of a keyboard and mouse - which I sit with on my settee with - keyboard on my lap and mouse on a hard mouse mat next to me. Took me about a day to get used to the feel of the new seating position.

I simply cannot understand why anyone who likes PC games doesn't simply give it a decent try. Even if I'm probably better at the traditional desk/monitor setup I wouldn't voluntarily go back to it.

Better than consoles by far. Better than sat at a desk. Win-fucking-win :)

Gwadien

That's because they're better than us.

Tbh - I think the controller's probably a step up from traditional controllers for consoles. But it is clearly not up to the job of a keyboard and mouse - which I sit with on my settee with - keyboard on my lap and mouse on a hard mouse mat next to me. Took me about a day to get used to the feel of the new seating position.

I simply cannot understand why anyone who likes PC games doesn't simply give it a decent try. Even if I'm probably better at the traditional desk/monitor setup I wouldn't voluntarily go back to it.

Better than consoles by far. Better than sat at a desk. Win-fucking-win :)

Where could you -try- it though, rather than buying one?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Where could you -try- it though, rather than buying one?

Simple. On my PC.

It's going to be "hackable" eh? But I don't think we'll need a hack - valve will have windows drivers at launch.

None of this closed sony/M$ console bullshit.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
Simple. On my PC.

It's going to be "hackable" eh? But I don't think we'll need a hack - valve will have windows drivers at launch.

None of this closed sony/M$ console bullshit.

dunno why valve said hackable, they clearly meant that if someone wanted to use it for other means they shoulda able to without a hitch as everything thats needed will be available. the arduino crowd are a pretty happy about it

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom