Steam OS Announced.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
What's that got to do with anything? My point was (clearly) that existing and next gen consoles are ugly.

My point was "what makes you think you're going to get anything better"?

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Well I'm going to go along with Gaff and agree that steamOS will be a console thing...unless they create cloud-ish office, full media/youtube/image yadda yadda and internet access that works to go along with it. I agree that it's most likely going to be a closed system like PSN and whatever the heck that Microsoft thing is called. Also, I agree that being able to put together your own hardware will always result in something more expensive than a purpose built but mass produced bit of kit (eg a console).

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
My point was "what makes you think you're going to get anything better"?

Because they would be aiming for something cheap to produce due to economies of scale. Less in the design stages to keep the overall cost down.

Consoles are over designed these days and end up looking terrible for it. I don't want an abstract shape next to my TV, I want a simple black box.

DaGaffer

Because they would be aiming for something cheap due to economies of scale. Less in the design stages to keep the overall cost down.

Consoles are over designed these days and end up looking terrible for it.

There's absolutely no logical rationale for your belief. FIrst of all, the external design of the box is the least of it when it comes to cost these days; and frankly I'd take issue with the "over-designed" line as well. The Xbone is a boring black box, and the PS4 is...a boring black box, but good looking consoles are the exception rather than the rule anyway (PS3 mk1 was nice, IMHO, but every other PlayStation has been ugly as sin, ditto Xbox. Wii is OK, GC OK but plasticky, N64, ugly, ugly, ugly etc.).

Anyway, if SteamOS is to be a success it would need to end up in lots of devices, but I don't see any correlation between the cheap versions of a Steam console and the good-looking versions of a Steam console.

rynnor

Rockhound
So are steam actually going to produce hardware or just release a spec for others to build to? The latter would have many advantages over traditional console production.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Anyway, if SteamOS is to be a success it would need to end up in lots of devices, but I don't see any correlation between the cheap versions of a Steam console and the good-looking versions of a Steam console.
Not sure I agree. I think it'll be a success if you can "just whack it on a spare SSD" for gaming. If they build in voice comms, etc. so you don't have to fuck about it'll be freaking awesome.

Gups

One of Freddy's beloved
I really cannot believe this....

Marmite is the food of Gods!

DaGaffer

Not sure I agree. I think it'll be a success if you can "just whack it on a spare SSD" for gaming. If they build in voice comms, etc. so you don't have to fuck about it'll be freaking awesome.

That's not exactly a consumer proposition though is it? I'm not even sure why I'd want to do that on a PC tbh.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
That's not exactly a consumer proposition though is it? I'm not even sure why I'd want to do that on a PC tbh.
Perhaps, compared to the alternative though, install windows, install teamspeak/ventrillo/mumble, install IRC, etc. it could work.

DaGaffer

Perhaps, compared to the alternative though, install windows, install teamspeak/ventrillo/mumble, install IRC, etc. it could work.

...or, buy an Xbox. That's the market Valve have to think about. They already own the PC gamers, they need to figure a way to get more customers, hence the push into the living room. The great unwashed are no more interested in installing their own SSDs than they are in learning Esperanto.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
...or, buy an Xbox. That's the market Valve have to think about. They already own the PC gamers, they need to figure a way to get more customers, hence the push into the living room. The great unwashed are no more interested in installing their own SSDs than they are in learning Esperanto.
True but they're being challenged in PC Gaming, if they own the whole experience from top to bottom they can stop the rot setting in. If they partner with a suitably sensible manufacturer on SteamBox hardware then they can also stick it to the current consoles simultaneously.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
To be fair, steambox has a lot more potential to lure in PC users then other consoles.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I think everyone's missing the point here.

I already have a steam box. It's my windows PC, with steam on it, connected to my 42 inch telly, with a keyboard on my lap and mouse in my hand, all the games, all my apps, web browsers, email, anything I want.

Why would you buy a PC then stick steam OS on it, when you could wang windows on it and then install steam?

Sure, the linux fanbois might. And good on 'em. But I still can't see the advantage for someone like me...

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
That works Scouse, ofcourse, but if the whole OS on the PC was Steam then it could work even better. Not much, not necessarily better(can hope), but little is still something ;)

Lethul

FH is my second home
Sooooo, very relevant to this thread. Can some UKer send me a box of marmite? :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
if the whole OS on the PC was Steam then it could work even better. Not much, not necessarily better(can hope), but little is still something ;)

It may get a few FPS more in native Half Life 3, but I still get games working from the 1990's on my windows PC, not to mention all the emulators, and actually useful software that isn't just for gaming...

It's just a less-compatible PC atm. "Open" it may be - but it'll be less useful out of the box, so to speak.

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
37x0wwN.jpg

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I smell bullshit.

...also looks like /b/ or some other shitty early 2000s website.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Source2+hl3 bundle for steambox on friday?

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Meh, why do I smell PC wrapped up as a Steam Box? because that's essentially all it'll be. Look, I've just activated big picture mode! I have a steam box! woooooo...

aRQmOLM_460sa.gif

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
That is exactly what it is supposed to be, a PC in a box. With an optimised OS without all the PC fluff that windows brings with it.

Depending on price point I am pretty tempted, basically a next gen console with up to date graphics displaying at proper resolution, rather than current gen graphics that the new consoles offer. Which are basically last gen PCs in fancy packaging.

Embattle

FH is my second home
The fact they aren't making it themselves means that it is a specification box, Valve will set out certain requirements then various manufacturers will make them with different internal components within the Valve specification thus you'll have a broad range of power but also price but like all PCs you'll still get what you pay for and nothing more.

DaGaffer

The fact they aren't making it themselves means that it is a specification box, Valve will set out certain requirements then various manufacturers will make them with different internal components within the Valve specification thus you'll have a broad range of power but also price but like all PCs you'll still get what you pay for and nothing more.

And you'll be using a controller. So...meh. I don't actually have a problem with a PC under the telly (assuming its super quiet and has low power usage), but I'd be incredibly surprised if any of these devices come in at console prices. A streamer that uses your PC to do the work, sure, but a standalone box? If they can get something that does decent graphics and is less than £500, I'll be impressed (but probably wouldn't buy it). There are already a good few small form-factor gaming PCs out there, but none of them are cheap, and only a handful are small enough to genuinely sit under the telly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom