Confused Steam download speeds...

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
I have a weird one here. When I'm downloading games from Steam on my laptop, over wifi I get a max of 2.1MB/s. Yet if I plug in my Ethernet cable it immediately spikes to the max speed my fibre will give me. However, any other source, such as Torrents and I get the max speed over wifi.

Anyone know why this could be?

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
wait...you can get decent speeds over wifi? do you live by yourself in the middle of a forest or something?

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Probably because you're a downy and you don't know the difference between MB and Mb.

leggy

Probably Scottish
I get awesome speeds with my Netgear WNDR4500 when connected to the 5GHz band: 12MB/s ish (less than when connected to ethernet but still decent). And i live in a town centre.

Sorry AD - doesn't help you much though.

Last edited:

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Probably because you're a downy and you don't know the difference between MB and Mb.

I am also a downy ;)

Please remind me about this. I was explaining the other day to a mate why 20 meg download speed didn't equate to 20 mb per second, but realised half way through that I'd forgotten why. Pray elucidate old fellow.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
There are 8 bits in a byte so 20 megabits/s is 20/8 megabytes/s, which is ~2.5mb/s.

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...

So I got the two mixed up,. Sue me, how about posing something remotely helpful next time? Dick head.

leggy

Probably Scottish
Yeah ECA, downy is a bit PC... I prefer Mong or Mongol.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Spackmong for the mergewin

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom